Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring an Emersion timer

Options
  • 15-08-2015 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi
    Trying to wire an emersion timer.
    I have the usual Blue Brown & Green/yellow wires, The I have Lin, Lout and Neutral, then instructions tell me to wire the earth wire to the terminal inside the surface socket box. I have blue to Neutral, but I have tried brown both to Lin and Lout and neither work, I must be doing something wrong.

Please let me know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

padjose wrote: »
    Hi
    Trying to wire an emersion timer.
    I have the usual Blue Brown & Green/yellow wires, The I have Lin, Lout and Neutral, then instructions tell me to wire the earth wire to the terminal inside the surface socket box. I have blue to Neutral, but I have tried brown both to Lin and Lout and neither work, I must be doing something wrong.

Please let me know?

You should have 2 cables at your timer. 1 will be from your fuseboard and have brown/blue/Earth the other should be a flex from your element with brown/black/
    Blue/earth.

The brown contained within the cable from your fuseboard should go to live in. The brown or black from your elements flex will go to live out (this will depend on weather you want the sink or bath element on). Blue will go to blue and earth to earth.

If you are unsure of this which it seems you are. Then call an electrician,it's not that expensive and will save you either getting a nasty shock or burning your house down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The timer will probably want to be before the immersion switch. Not connected into the 4 core flex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Bruthal wrote: »
    The timer will probably want to be before the immersion switch. Not connected into the 4 core flex.

If he the OP wants to keep the immersion switch in place then yes the timer should be placed before the switch.

Advertisement