Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a site with planning

Options
  • 15-08-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi guys,

I hope somebody can advise, Im looking at purchasing a site that has planning already on it, Im a bit naive as to what I would get when the price is agreed, is it the norm to get a copy of the plans etc or would they be bought seperately? Basically, when I buy with planning agreed am I pretty much good to go?

Also, as a side, do I pay VAT on this purchase?

Any help would be much obliged

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

SmartHass wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I hope somebody can advise, Im looking at purchasing a site that has planning already on it, Im a bit naive as to what I would get when the price is agreed, is it the norm to get a copy of the plans etc or would they be bought seperately? Basically, when I buy with planning agreed am I pretty much good to go?

Also, as a side, do I pay VAT on this purchase?

Any help would be much obliged

You can get a copy of the plans from the county council website.
    You should get a full set of the planning drawings but these won't be enough to start construction. You will have to appoint an engineer or architect to prepare construction drawings and prepare a commencement notice for the county council.

You may also have contribution fees to the council, water connection etc and double check the conditions that are attached to the granted application to make sure no compliance documents are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SmartHass

kceire wrote: »
    You can get a copy of the plans from the county council website.
    You should get a full set of the planning drawings but these won't be enough to start construction. You will have to appoint an engineer or architect to prepare construction drawings and prepare a commencement notice for the county council.

You may also have contribution fees to the council, water connection etc and double check the conditions that are attached to the granted application to make sure no compliance documents are required.

Yeah there are a few conditions and county council fees on the application, nothing out of the way though. so basically get a civil engineer and on board after purchase and go from there, thats great, thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

You'll have to pay stamp duty on the site [1% of site cost] and VAT then on the house build itself, 13.5%. Assuming you are sourcing a builder at the moment?

You'll also have to also pay the council contributions which varies by council/area but is a fixed price for each square metre over 40.
    But you will pay less contributions if you don't have access to an existing water/sewer system but obviously if that's the case you need to source that privately. Same for ESB to connect it to their network. These ancillary costs can really add up so I hope you are including everything.

Don't forget the professional services side then either, you probably already have a solicitor involved for buying the site, if a mortgage is involved they will be needed for that too. An Engineer or Architect will be needed too sign off on any certs for the bank [if needed] and you need them for the assigned designer and assigned certifier roles. Note thought, that building regulation that was brought in last March is being reviewed and may change again for one off houses.
    Normally its a good idea to get a QS on board too.

Good luck :)
    Its a slow process and painful at times but worth it!

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    You'll have to pay stamp duty on the site [1% of site cost] and VAT then on the house build itself, 13.5%. Assuming you are sourcing a builder at the moment?

You'll also have to also pay the council contributions which varies by council/area but is a fixed price for each square metre over 40.
    But you will pay less contributions if you don't have access to an existing water/sewer system but obviously if that's the case you need to source that privately. Same for ESB to connect it to their network. These ancillary costs can really add up so I hope you are including everything.

Don't forget the professional services side then either, you probably already have a solicitor involved for buying the site, if a mortgage is involved they will be needed for that too. An Engineer or Architect will be needed too sign off on any certs for the bank [if needed] and you need them for the assigned designer and assigned certifier roles. Note thought, that building regulation that was brought in last March is being reviewed and may change again for one off houses.
    Normally its a good idea to get a QS on board too.

Good luck :)
    Its a slow process and painful at times but worth it!

Cheers, yeah its going to be a slow and costly process but when built hopefully it will be worth it, location wise, house type and size wise its perfect. I have a house to sell before I can even think about starting the build which may present the larger problem in the current market!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SmartHass wrote: »
    is it the norm to get a copy of the plans etc or would they be bought seperately?
    Note that the drawing are probably copyright of whoever drew them up and the vendor might have no right to sell them on.

You will need to determine what the vendor is selling and what agreement they have with the designer(S).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,921 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's also quite important to make sure the permission isn't a local needs permission for the existing owner - and hence useless to you. Common for one offs in rural areas

Victor wrote: »
    Note that the drawing are probably copyright of whoever drew them up and the vendor might have no right to sell them on.

You will need to determine what the vendor is selling and what agreement they have with the designer(S).

Yeah, that's more the type of issue that I was thinking initially. Although no money will change hands until I can ensure that its exactly what I want/need.

Advertisement