Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accidental Landlord

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

Yes jumped on house when it came up for sale and seller wanted a quick sale, didn't have time to sell house ( we owed about 70k on it) but paid a fortune for new house and bank gave us whatever money we needed, renting first home seemed like attractive option at the time, tax return normally comes in under 2 k but because I have no repairs or much write offs bill is 4.5, 52% on the rent received!
    Hi MouseTail, mortgage on investment circa 230k and I have tracker, principal property circa 215 also with tracker?
    Thanks for reply, mortgages split on both properties so to sell at the moment still in negative equity I'd still owe banks

So if I'm reading these right, only 70K of your mortgage debt relates to the rented property, and the rest is all for your home.

This, combined with your low interest rate leaves you only a negligible deduction of about €600 a year.

If you keep the property, you will have to come up with a long term plan to sustain those levels of tax payments, as you will have them for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement