Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing enterprise settings from pc

Options
  • 15-08-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

My old company went down about a year ago so I kept my PC and laptop in lieu of holiday pay etc.. The hardware itself wasn't of much value but my pc held the companies Solidworks license which I use regularly. I'm using both of these machines at home and want to get rid of the enterprise settings and make them home machines. How do I go about this? It should also be noted that I have admin rights for both machines.

On a slightly different subject my browser regularly locks up or goes slow, when I look in task manager; Flashutil64_0_0_232_ActivX.exe (Adobe Flash Player Installer/Uninstaller) is showing. When I stop this process browsing is back to normal. However a minute later the process fires up again. What I don't understand is that the Flash player is up to date so it shouldn't be installing. What's going on here and how do I stop it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Uninstall flash, use chrome.

Not sure about removing domain controls without wiping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Chrome uses Flash

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

excollier wrote: »
    Chrome uses Flash

The OPs problem is with the process Flashutil64_0_0_232_ActivX.exe. Note the ActivX.exe part. Chrome uses it's own Flash plugin, and Firefox uses the NPAPI Plugin version of Flash.

But given that the process is starting itself up after being manually stopped, it probably doesn't have anything to do with the browser being used - the process would restart itself anyway, even if you weren't use any browser.

I'd suggest uninstalling the ActiveX Flash in the control panel rebooting and then downloading and re-installing it.

http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_18_active_x.exe

I'm using both of these machines at home and want to get rid of the enterprise settings and make them home machines. How do I go about this? It should also be noted that I have admin rights for both machines.

As a general rule, if you have two different problems, you're much better off creating two entirely separate threads, otherwise you end up with one of your questions being completely ignored.

You can change the domain that a PC is in, or remove it from a domain altogether (by moving it into a workgroup instead) by right-clicking on Computer (or My Computer, or This PC or whatever it's called in your version of Windows) and selecting Properties. You can also get to this screen by holding down the Windows key and pressing the Pause/Break key.

There's a "Computer Name, Domain and Workgroup Settings" section there.

(To be honest, I can't remember what happens if you try to leave a domain that you're not currently connected to, but it should work if you have a valid local admin account).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bayberry wrote: »
    (To be honest, I can't remember what happens if you try to leave a domain that you're not currently connected to, but it should work if you have a valid local admin account).

She needs to be certain she has a local admin account that works before she does that.

• Advertisement

How do I go about this? It should also be noted that I have admin rights for both machines.
    it should work if you have a valid local admin account
    She needs to be certain she has a local admin account that works before she does that.

I think that's been covered....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I think that's been covered....

A domain account with local admin rights is not the same as a local admin account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

Hi,

Yes, you can leave the domain even if you are not connected. It will take it's time and complain but work.

The Enterprise Settings in place are most likely the result of Group Policy Objects applied to your machine.

Go to a command prompt and type . . .

GPRESULT /H policies.htm

Then open policies.htm in your browser to see what's being applied.

Leaving the domain and logging in as a local account is the first step. After you do this run the command above again (output to policies2.htm) you will likely see there are still settings in effect. This is down to 'Registry Tattooing'. The policy was applied and although its no longer enforced, nothing is configured to actually remove it.

You can manually reverse out any tattooed settings using the Local Security Policy (You can Google it, I can't post links).

Tostao

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

tostao1014 wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes, you can leave the domain even if you are not connected. It will take it's time and complain but work.

The Enterprise Settings in place are most likely the result of Group Policy Objects applied to your machine.

Go to a command prompt and type . . .

GPRESULT /H policies.htm

Then open policies.htm in your browser to see what's being applied.

Leaving the domain and logging in as a local account is the first step. After you do this run the command above again (output to policies2.htm) you will likely see there are still settings in effect. This is down to 'Registry Tattooing'. The policy was applied and although its no longer enforced, nothing is configured to actually remove it.

You can manually reverse out any tattooed settings using the Local Security Policy (You can Google it, I can't post links).

Tostao

This may nuke the Solidworks software. From memory leaving the domain will bring you to a different profile, so if the software was only configured for the domain account it may become inaccessible.
    I could be wrong though, not done this kinda stuff in a good while..

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭armstrongracer

Cheers,

I was worried about that but Solidworks runs ok at home, away from the now defunct network. We had multi-user solidworks with a single license. About 4 people in the company had the software loaded up in their machines but only a single license could be used at any one time. I was the main user so 80% of the time SW license was in my PC. I actually can't remember how the shared licence worked. It only came into effect if you launched SW and the license wasn't in your machine. I think the system worked via the internet to a database, with a check being done to ensure that the license was only being used by one machine at a time. The liquidator cleaned out the HD of all the other PC's so I'm sure that I would be the only user trying to access that license.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

yoyo wrote: »
    This may nuke the Solidworks software. From memory leaving the domain will bring you to a different profile, so if the software was only configured for the domain account it may become inaccessible.
    I could be wrong though, not done this kinda stuff in a good while..

Nick

Well... Its not their license anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

The licence will be tied to the machine. Just go to system and change from domain to a workgroup and when it asks for the user name and password in the username type .\ and then what ever the local admin is called and the password that will remove it off the domain.

Advertisement