Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was this a false widow?

Options
  • 15-08-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I found this huge guy just now. Very black and big compared to commom/ house spiders. I've spent years ensuring that my kids don't develop a fear of 'creepy crawlies' but I've never seen anything this big before. As much as I hated to do it, I stomped on a spider for the first time in my life. Was I right in identifying this as a false widow, in case his buddies come looking for him??

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it is yeah, not 100% sure though. Was it in the house? They usually stick to sheds and the like.

They're not as dangerous as the media made them out to be by the way, unless there's an allergic reaction to the bite they're relatively harmless, about the same level as bees. Though I understand why you wouldn't want them around kids all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

It was in between some pieces of wood that had been left outside in the garden for some time.
    I was taking them apart and found lots of spiders, which wouldn't surprise me. This big fella was hidden between the last two pieces that i pulled apart and was striking in the sheer size and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭AnSliabhCorcra

KazDub wrote: »
    It was in between some pieces of wood that had been left outside in the garden for some time.
    I was taking them apart and found lots of spiders, which wouldn't surprise me. This big fella was hidden between the last two pieces that i pulled apart and was striking in the sheer size and colour.

I'd die on the spot.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,246 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

KazDub wrote: »

Yeah piles of wood would be prime false widow real-estate. I've never actually seen one myself, don't think they've spread to the west yet.

Advertisement