Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless

Options
  • 15-08-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Seen a homeless couple with 3 filled trolleys today on the main shopping street. The woman is pregnant, seemly the council won't help and they were living with the woman's boss in a flat, paying him rent every week and seemly never paid the rent at all and owes the landlord a lot of money and has done a runner and a runner from his company. Opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Seen a homeless couple with 3 filled trolleys today on the main shopping street. The woman is pregnant, seemly the council won't help and they were living with the woman's boss in a flat, paying him rent every week and seemly never paid the rent at all and owes the landlord a lot of money and has done a runner and a runner from his company. Opinions ?

Mind your own business

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Mind your own business

Why I'm sad to see this happening 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Stealing trolleys is a criminal offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Why I'm sad to see this happening 😔

Indeed it is very sad to see it happening but much homelessness can be attributed to poor choices by individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Right here's what I think is wrong with what you've posted

Seen a homeless couple with 3 filled trolleys today on the main shopping street. The woman is pregnant, seemly the council won't help and they were living with the woman's boss in a flat, paying him rent every week and seemly he (the woman's boss) never paid the rent at all and owes the landlord a lot of money and has done a runner and a runner from his company. Opinions

Why cant they just get their own place by the sounds of it they don't owe the landlord anything?

• Advertisement

jayboi wrote: »
    Right here's what I think is wrong with what you've posted

Seen a homeless couple with 3 filled trolleys today on the main shopping street. The woman is pregnant, seemly the council won't help and they were living with the woman's boss in a flat, paying him rent every week and seemly he (the woman's boss) never paid the rent at all and owes the landlord a lot of money and has done a runner and a runner from his company. Opinions

Why cant they just get their own place by the sounds of it they don't owe the landlord anything?

I don't know just what I was told was the story

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Does anyone speak Offaly?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

offaly quiet or offaly loud?

(or just offaly, in general)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Seen a homeless couple with 3 filled trolleys today on the main shopping street.

The woman is pregnant, seemly the council won't help and they were living with the woman's boss in a flat, paying him rent every week and seemly never paid the rent at all and owes the landlord a lot of money and has done a runner and a runner from his company. Opinions ?

Throw out a soundbite to get an emotive reaction
    Seen a homeless couple
    How do you know they were homeless?
    ...on the main shopping street.
    Where exactly is that in Waterford?
    The woman is pregnant, seemly the council won't help
    Have the council branched out?
    they were living with the woman's boss in a flat, paying him rent every week and seemly never paid the rent at all and owes the landlord a lot of money and has done a runner and a runner from his company. Opinions ?
    Nice little anecdote, but seems to pick up the story quite late on, where were they living before this? how did they come to only have the choice of moving in with 'the boss'? where are social services in all this? where are their individual families?

In current economic times it's hard to have sympathy for everyone who is down on their luck, but given snippets of stories like this it is impossible to even have empathy as it's obviously not the full story, not by a long shot.

No need for people to be rude here. I'm only saying what I had seen and been told. I felt sorry for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

If you see them again maybe you might tell them they can contact either or all off these

The Homeless Services Officer, Bailey's New Street

Focus

Simon

St Vincent DePaul.

All of these organisations can provide emergency accommodation.

I think its very sad to see anyone in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ireland better get ready for this catastrophe unfolding im afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ireland better get ready for this catastrophe unfolding im afraid

Hopefully it wont explode like it is on the verge of. Some people are giving in to the banks to easily. I understand people got themselves in trouble by being reckless but at the same time there is a huge amount who have lost jobs businesses gone to the wall etc. It is a sad thing to see. Hopefully people fight their corner and things work out.

obezyana wrote: »
    Hopefully it wont explode like it is on the verge of. Some people are giving in to the banks to easily. I understand people got themselves in trouble by being reckless but at the same time there is a huge amount who have lost jobs businesses gone to the wall etc. It is a sad thing to see. Hopefully people fight their corner and things work out.

this is a total disaster. the banks simply dont care. they just want to maximise their profits and thats just about it. ah there was a bit of recklessness alright but the whole market was and still is orchestrated. i was at a very interesting talk about all this at last years kilkenomics. very disturbing debate to be honest. i fear the crunch point here will be the interest rate.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    this is a total disaster. the banks simply dont care. they just want to maximise their profits and thats just about it. ah there was a bit of recklessness alright but the whole market was and still is orchestrated. i was at a very interesting talk about all this at last years kilkenomics. very disturbing debate to be honest. i fear the crunch point here will be the interest rate.

This has nothing to do with the banks/politicians/irish water/guards. I have saw this status shared so many times on facebook and all the comments blaming banks/politicians/Irish water is so irritating.

There has been a go fund me page started to help her and to be honest, I don't see why she is sitting around city square with her stuff. Surely she has family in Manchester that can help her and if not there is help out there.

Also this link below is her.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/appeal-help-find-missing-woman-8001297

This has nothing to do with the banks/politicians/irish water/guards. I have saw this status shared so many times on facebook and all the comments blaming banks/politicians/Irish water is so irritating.

There has been a go fund me page started to help her and to be honest, I don't see why she is sitting around city square with her stuff. Surely she has family in Manchester that can help her and if not there is help out there.

Also this link below is her.
    http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/appeal-help-find-missing-woman-8001297

apologies but i know nothing about this exact situation but my opinions on the general homeless problem developing at the moment still stands. thanks for the link. i ll check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

The link about the missing person is from last year and she was found safe and well ? I deleted a comment I put about how she wasn't exactly hiding when I saw them a few days ago by the book centre I really hope they get some help soon.

Is this definetley the same person missing from Tameside as with the shopping trolleys though as they were hardly hiding a few days ago ?
    They were by the book centre with their belongings and trolleys talking to a lot of people with signs written on the trolleys ?

Apparently so, there is a go fund me for Gemma at the moment. She was pregnant again last year according to that article and she was living in Manchester. For someone who hasn't been living in Waterford very long she seems to be making a lot of demands. Surely the cost of a plane ticket home could be given to her, so she can return to her family.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Apparently so, there is a go fund me for Gemma at the moment. She was pregnant again last year according to that article and she was living in Manchester. For someone who hasn't been living in Waterford very long she seems to be making a lot of demands. Surely the cost of a plane ticket home could be given to her, so she can return to her family.

This may be the same lady who appeared on my facebook feed this evening, living on the streets in Waterford with a pile of shopping trolleys, with two previous children who were taken off her?

Why she can't get benefits is beyond me, if it's the same person apparently her partner is Irish, is it a habitual residence issue?

Stheno wrote: »
    This may be the same lady who appeared on my facebook feed this evening, living on the streets in Waterford with a pile of shopping trolleys, with two previous children who were taken off her?

Why she can't get benefits is beyond me, if it's the same person apparently her partner is Irish, is it a habitual residence issue?

I'd say so because in the newspapers articles she was living in England up to a few months ago. You have to be resident of the state for a certain period before you can claim social welfare if I'm not mistaken.

Making the square look bad, her stuff needs to be taken away.

• Advertisement

That link to the missing pregnant lady is from last year she was found the day after the appeal was posted ? I deleted my post to state that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd say so because in the newspapers articles she was living in England up to a few months ago. You have to be resident of the state for a certain period before you can claim social welfare if I'm not mistaken.

If the feed on my facebook is true, and she's had two children forcibly taken away by the state in the UK, then she has some serious issues.

If your from UK you can put in a claim the same day, but from the date on those newspaper clippings that's October last year ?

If your from UK you can put in a claim the same day, but from the date on those newspaper clippings that's October last year ?

Yeah she was 9 months pregnant back then. September this year she is well along again and has no kid with her.

That link to the missing pregnant lady is from last year she was found the day after the appeal was posted ? I deleted my post to state that.

She's had enough time to get pregnant again and move over here in the intervening period.

Being from the UK she should be able to access benefits.

Something not right here, and I don't mean ra limits or the like, just something about her as a person, she may need psychiatric help

Yeah she was 9 months pregnant back then. September this year she is well along again and has no kid with her.

But how can they be missing in plain sight ?

Stheno wrote: »
    She's had enough time to get pregnant again and move over here in the intervening period.

Being from the UK she should be able to access benefits.

Something not right here, and I don't mean ra limits or the like, just something about her as a person, she may need psychiatric help

Yeah that seems likely the way the articles were worded. Hopefully she has some family that cares and might help her out.

How can who be missing in plain sight, not following you?

According to the feed on my facebook, page, her last two children have been forcibly taken into care

Is this her?

photo snipped

• Advertisement

How can who be missing in plain sight, not following you?

If people are saying she's missing I don't understand how when they are there for a few days Infont of the book centre ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement