Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending height of block wall with trellis & climbers

Options
  • 15-08-2015 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a block wall to the back & one side of my back garden. It's not of even height on both sides but it's 4ft & 5 ft approx. I'd like to extend both sides of this boundary to circa 6ft by adding a trellis but I have some questions.

1) Do I need to get my neighbour's position?
    2) Will the trellis eventually rot?
    3) Any advice on what to grow on it? I was looking at clematis
    4) Will it be secure in case of high winds etc

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

1. Not sure, I think you are ok to 6ft but it would be neighbourly to mention it.
    2. Yes - or break, or fall down.
    3. Clematis would be ok, unless you are thinking of montana which makes a massive heap of branches. Not ivy, honeysuckle, solanum (the white might be ok as it is less vigorous). The more vigorous the plant the more it is likely to pull down the trellis or create a sail effect in the wind that will blow down the trellis.
    4. Probably not, see 3.

If you do want to put something up, put stakes on your side of the wall and nail staggered boards across. Standard, commercial trellis is very feeble stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Ok thank you for replying 👍🏻😄

Hmmm I don't know if this wall would take more blocks maybe I should just add a fencing panel without growing creepers on it. I just think they are so pretty though. Have you ever heard of uPVC trellis that might be more robust?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Kazbah wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a block wall to the back & one side of my back garden. It's not of even height on both sides but it's 4ft & 5 ft approx. I'd like to extend both sides of this boundary to circa 6ft by adding a trellis but I have some questions.

1) Do I need to get my neighbour's position?
    2) Will the trellis eventually rot?
    3) Any advice on what to grow on it? I was looking at clematis
    4) Will it be secure in case of high winds etc

Many thanks!

1/Planting climbing plants will lead to some growing into your neighbours garden. Your neighbour as far as I know can do what they like with what grows over to their side of the boundary. I reckon it would be good to talk to your neighbour about your idea and what they like to see growing and if they might need help trimming your climbers if they are extending too far into their garden. Russian vine was planted in my grandmother's garden and the neighbour on that side did mention how strong growing it was in a way that implied they were not happy about having to deal with it. I planted some honeysuckle on the other side and that neighbour took cuttings and then had nice honeysuckle plants of his own.

2/There is garden mesh going on sale in ALDI next week in 8*1metre rolls that could last longer than wooden trellis and could be used in the same way.

3/I'm currently trying to get wisteria and honeysuckle to grow to cover a new fence. I think verginia creeper is also worth considering. There are also climbing roses that can look good and I have seen pyrochantha grown on trellis giving a spectacular display.

4/How secure your trellis is would very much depend on how you construct it. While wire mesh might be more weather proof the support timber posts would also need to be treated with preservative and strong enough to take the force of storm winds and climbing. Is there any traffic of pets or children over the walls in question as these could also have a say on how long your trellis lasts. There are purpose built steel fence supports that I have seen atached to walls that are strong enough to last through Irish conditions but they do look a bit industrial.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Kazbah wrote: »
    Ok thank you for replying ðŸ‘ðŸ»ðŸ˜„

Hmmm I don't know if this wall would take more blocks maybe I should just add a fencing panel without growing creepers on it. I just think they are so pretty though. Have you ever heard of uPVC trellis that might be more robust?

Thanks

You'll surely get more of a sail effect with a solid fence panel than with ones with climbers on that the wind can partially pass through

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Great tips Macraignil!!!

I might investigate that steel stuff. So could the wire mesh be use to extend the height of the wall as well or just to cover what's there?
    There are no pets or children but I'd be most worried about lifetime & safety in wind.

I'm off to look at google images of the plants you recommend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

I reckon if you are using the mesh to extend the height of the wall it will need supports of some sort. You would need to factor in the force of the wind on what you construct. It would be simpler to just use it to cover the wall to help the climbing plants grow but you have a better idea what height you want your climbers to go to.

I should mention as well that wisteria can take years to mature enough to start flowering. I found honeysuckle to be much faster to get established.

Advertisement