Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    I dug up these old maps from 2016. The link wouldn't work here because of the url tags so here's a screenshot:

That's great. Thanks a mill for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Anyone running in / watching the National XC on Sunday? I can't wait (to watch :))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Anyone running in / watching the National XC on Sunday? I can't wait (to watch :))

Would love to be running but past it now the National XC is epic and great fun .. Should be some great races. In Senior Raheny have very strong team, Clonmel could get close though. DSD and Letterkenny and Donore pretty strong in Ladies and cant rule out Leevale.
    Ladies new winner I suspect, Mageean on the entry list is my tip . Mens hard to see past Tobin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

youngrun wrote: »
    Would love to be running but past it now the National XC is epic and great fun .. Should be some great races. In Senior Raheny have very strong team, Clonmel could get close though. DSD and Letterkenny and Donore pretty strong in Ladies and cant rule out Leevale.
    Ladies new winner I suspect, Mageean on the entry list is my tip . Mens hard to see past Tobin..

Can't see past Clonmel, they are properly loaded up front with Tobin and the Maunsells. East Cork outside of the usual suspects will be pretty strong as well with Sean McGrath, Tim O'Donughue, Mcheal Harty.

Hard to see Mageean beating Shona over 8k. Shona is absolutely flying it right now

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Can't see past Clonmel, they are properly loaded up front with Tobin and the Maunsells. East Cork outside of the usual suspects will be pretty strong as well with Sean McGrath, Tim O'Donughue, Mcheal Harty.

Hard to see Mageean beating Shona over 8k. Shona is absolutely flying it right now

Raheny v strong Claw, two Dooneys, Kirwan , Fay etc

No Shona on list this year ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Should be a cracker alright. Didn't know shona pulled out, opens it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Probably not going to make it, as much as I would love to, especially now there'll be plenty of rain between now and Sunday! Not even going to try and predict the individual races but the men's club title should be a three-peat for Raheny.

Regardless of the marathon after effects, Mick Clohissey, Kevin Dooney, Brian Fay + at least one other will more than likely finish in the Top 20. Last year they had Kevin Dooney, Conor Dooney, Eoin Strutt and Mark Kirwan all in the top 20 and, even without Mick, they won by 27 points.

It's all about the fourth man so, if all the entries are correct (which they generally aren't), I'm not sure Clonmel can compete with the likes of Clonliffe or DSD in terms of depth.

Leevale have a US signing who could be right up there given her times .https://www.corkathletics.org/news/1146-preview-of-national-senior-cross-country-championships-2018.html?fbclid=IwAR3DUawLgmHFhjg7emp8M5CYH0X5J1Ds9rlcQdsB2ENrq5bDfUKo6ezIbuc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Sacksian wrote: »

It's all about the fourth man so, if all the entries are correct (which they generally aren't), I'm not sure Clonmel can compete with the likes of Clonliffe or DSD in terms of depth.

Clonmel will have a strong 4th man,
    I'd would say they have 2 lads battling it out for 4th man.
    David Mansfield ran 2.20 in DCM. And Michael Carey was a top 10 national junior.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Is the nationals available online to watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Huge field in the U18 Girls from the looks of the video posted by Athletics Ireland. Great to see. Now just to manage that in to Senior Level.

Sarah Healy winning by a country mile. Will be great to see how she fares at Europeans.

The whole day was so exciting! Fab races in the senior men & women. I was addled counting club scorers as they passed me!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think u18 and juniors were combined

Well done to everyone who ran today. It's great for the sport in Ireland to have someone like Sarah Healy coming through - she might get more people tuning in to watch the Championships and, generally, the shorter u20 & u23 races make for good television.

It'll be interesting to see how AI handle selection for Euro XC - hopefully, they send a few squads. Based on the results, men's u23s could be more competitive than previously - there were 3 in the Senior top 10 this year (and 6 in the top 20), compared to 3 in the top 20 last year (and none in the top 10). Think the teams are out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmufGf68

A few pics from almost all the races, very enjoyable day out. Plus had the most delicious pizza on a cone, think I may have been the only one to try it.

Some really high standard races this year, senior races were stacked. Great winners in Dooney and Mageean both went for it from the off

Wottle wrote: »

A few pics from almost all the races, very enjoyable day out. Plus had the most delicious pizza on a cone, think I may have been the only one to try it.

The cone looked like it would be sweet, like an ice cream. Was it just normal pizza base?

Wottle wrote: »

They’re really good photos, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

HelenAnne wrote: »
    The cone looked like it would be sweet, like an ice cream. Was it just normal pizza base?

Haha, I asked the same question, it was pizza base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Full teams selected for Euro's. Great to see u23 teams as well as mixed relays involved.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/big-irish-team-selected-for-european-cross

Scullion and Batt included in the men. Had thought Batt had finished running but good to see him included, a 64 half back in August accoding to IAAF.

Pity to see Mitchell missing from the Women's team though I know she has made a conscious decision to avoid cross country, especially going into her marathon debut next spring.

• Advertisement

Full teams selected for Euro's. Great to see u23 teams as well as mixed relays involved.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/big-irish-team-selected-for-european-cross

Scullion and Batt included in the men. Had thought Batt had finished running but good to see him included, a 64 half back in August accoding to IAAF.

Pity to see Mitchell missing from the Women's team though I know she has made a conscious decision to avoid cross country, especially going into her marathon debut next spring.

Good to see full teams across the board
    Definite medal potential in a couple of cases ,Men's 23 team and U 20 team and individually in Ladies
    Would have liked to see the sixth man yesterday picked, Landers had a great run has stacks of potential and is also current universities champion.Need to be giving guys like this their opportunity.
    Ladies also is pretty strong.
    The hunger and desire of the likes of Clohisey,Finn and O Flaherty for more racing ,high standards,and to keep pushing for international vests and medals is something to be admired and hopefully inspirational for some of those up and coming.

There seems to have been two different courses for the Dublin Intermediate XC in recent years - one either side of the m50 - does anyone know what the course is this year? Do I need 12mm spikes?

There seems to have been two different courses for the Dublin Intermediate XC in recent years - one either side of the m50 - does anyone know what the course is this year? Do I need 12mm spikes?

It's on the outside of the M50, starting and finishing beside the basketball arena.

I ran the course 10 days ago in runners, no problem.
    I ran it on the weekend in spikes, no real muddy patches, probably could have worn runners again.
    There's been more rain, and there will be the juvenile races on first, but 12mm spikes are probably still overkill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Course was moved to over by the Basketball Arena (Tallaght side of M50). Can't see them moving back as there are all weather pitches going in the other side now so some of the fields are under construction and probably lost for good.

After the recent rain I would imagine the field beside M50 will be marshy but overall its a decent course for holding up with the weather.

Thanks - looking forward to it!

There is no parking at the basketball arena.
    Race HQ is the Templeogue United clubhouse on other side of the M50 (only a few minutes jog away)

https://www.dublinathletics.com/20-uncategorised/527-dublin-juvenile-league-3-and-mens-and-womens-intermediate-cross-country-championships

I'll be scanning Jingle Bells results to gauge various teams' line-ups for the Intermediate!

Super victory for Bros Pearse in the men's race at the Dublin intermediate - well done RayCun!

And by the tightest of margins too - it seemed unlikely with Rathfarnham's first 3 scorers finishing 1-2-10 but BP packed brilliantly to win on count-back. I think a senior medal is a well deserved reward for all the work their club has been doing within Dublin athletics, especially juvenile, over the last few years.

I had a very flat race - I had let a group go earlier in the race expecting them to come back to me but they never did and I never made it up to them - closest was probably in the last 200m. However, we still managed to eke out a team medal, which was a bit of a bronze lining!

I can take no credit for the result, but I will bask in the reflected glory :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Men's results of Dublin Intermediate
    https://www.dublinathletics.com/attachments/article/528/Dublin%20Intermediate%20CC%20%20Men%20results%202018.pdf

Every place counts indeed.
    Brother Pearse 5th and 6th scorer in 20th and 23rd pushed the Rathfarnham 4th place finisher down to 28th and that very much helped with securing the gold.
    Some packing from the Brothers!

Great event, my first XC race in years. Sweet Grud, the pain of XC is something else, got my highest recorded heart rate in years on the finish line trying to stay ahead of the next fella.

Advertisement