Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Any word on the post Xmas Intermediate venue's (Leinster and All Ireland)

National Intermediate & Masters announced for Dundalk I.T. - 3rd February.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Sacksian wrote: »

Aaaaah sh8te, too far up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Timetable confirmed for National Novices and Uneven Ages

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/Novice_XC_Info_2018.jpg

Lovely twisty turny course out in Navan. That timetable looks a bit tight. Presumably if there's any chance of the Novice Women running into any U-19B tailenders, they'll push that one back a minute or two. 3:10 seems to be a very late start for us. Hopefully I'll get through it before nightfall :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

youngrun wrote: »
    Good to see full teams across the board
    Definite medal potential in a couple of cases ,Men's 23 team and U 20 team and individually in Ladies
    Would have liked to see the sixth man yesterday picked, Landers had a great run has stacks of potential and is also current universities champion.Need to be giving guys like this their opportunity.
    Ladies also is pretty strong.
    The hunger and desire of the likes of Clohisey,Finn and O Flaherty for more racing ,high standards,and to keep pushing for international vests and medals is something to be admired and hopefully inspirational for some of those up and coming.

Maunsell is out injured now and Landers has been called in to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Maunsell is out injured now and Landers has been called in to replace him.

Looks like scullion has withdrawn too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Duanington wrote: »
    Looks like scullion has withdrawn too

Maybe just Scullion so, I heard someone was injured and pulled out and that Landers was called up. Heard it was Muansell but a quick look through twitter shows him arriving in tilburg today.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Maybe just Scullion so, I heard someone was injured and pulled out and that Landers was called up. Heard it was Muansell but a quick look through twitter shows him arriving in tilburg today.

Scullion got sick when he got back to Belfast earlier in the week

A proper cross country. Turning into a mud bath. Healy a little dissappointing.
    Forsyth gave it a go, so close. U23 might not be far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Healy was clipped from behind and hit the deck. She never quite recovered.

Hilarious face-plant at the finish by U23 men's winner Gressier.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Very entertaining women’s race. A 3rd straight victory for Can but she had to work for it this year. I thought Schlumpf was going to take her. Bronze for Grovdal and Norway again, she had a very strong finish, maybe timed it a bit late. Gold for Netherlands, just held of the bronze. The Irish were 11th in the team, with Treacy first home in 26th.

Sarah Healy was unlucky with fall, it came just before a break was made. The course looks tough, mucky and very twisty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

Brilliant run by Filip Ingebritsen, for the families 2nd individual gold of the day. At one point he was in a group of 7/8 and was the only European born runner ðŸ˜

Strong run by Sean Tobin for 10th. Team GB have picked up a lot of medals but not so many golds.

Caprica wrote: »
    Brilliant run by Filip Ingebritsen, for the families 2nd individual gold of the day. At one point he was in a group of 7/8 and was the only European born runner ðŸ˜

Strong run by Sean Tobin for 10th. Team GB have picked up a lot of medals but not so many golds.

Brits are always really strong teamwise, 1st European team today in the mens too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Caprica wrote: »
    Very entertaining women’s race. A 3rd straight victory for Can but she had to work for it this year. I thought Schlumpf was going to take her. Bronze for Grovdal and Norway again, she had a very strong finish, maybe timed it a bit late. Gold for Netherlands, just held of the bronze. The Irish were 11th in the team, with Treacy first home in 26th.

Sarah Healy was unlucky with fall, it came just before a break was made. The course looks tough, mucky and very twisty

Good to see Treacy back in form. Tobin and Forsyth had great runs
    Standard very high the Irish acquitted themselves well, Scullion loss didnt help

Great to see the two senior races competitive right up until the final stretch and so much talent on show in the junior races. There's often a lot more ebb and flow in xc races than the longer track distances so they're probably a better watch. World Cross in Aarhus next year should be much better than the last few competitions and given the location, we'll hopefully send a few teams - I think 2008 was the last time we had both men's & women's teams at World XC

Kevin Dooney's run from earlier:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2008983423

National Novice entry list:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/other/MASTER_NOVICE_FINAL_entry_list_10122018.pdf

The men's team competition looks brilliant. Crusaders are probably favourites because of their depth - there'll be lots of guys fighting it out to be scorers on that team. North Belfast have finished 2nd and 3rd in the last couple of years. Rathfarnham's 1st two scorers will probably be in top 15 or very close to it and they've a strong 3rd man as well. Leevale are always there or thereabouts for medals. Dunboyne had 3 in the top 10 at the Leinster Novice and they have another 2 or 3 strong runners to add to that squad. Clonliffe, Ratoath...... anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

About 300 men entered - excellent!

RayCun wrote: »
    About 300 men entered - excellent!

Hopefully most of those turn up !

Hopefully just the slow ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

RayCun wrote: »
    Hopefully just the slow ones :)

One more here, not on yesterday's list, but should be on the next one....

• Advertisement

One more here, not on yesterday's list, but should be on the next one....

Won't make it myself but would have liked to give it a shot

There's generally a very big fall-off from the entry lists but I'd say you'll still be looking at 200+ finishers, especially given the venue's accessibility compared to some others in recent years.

254 finishers in the men's novice and 151 finishers in the women's, compared to 186 and 108 last year. Ferocious standard in the men's race and the volume of runners meant that you could win or lose a lot of places in the last 100m. Happy with the race, if not my placing. Still the best race on the calendar!

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/results/Results_Novice_Women.pdf
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/results/Results_Novice_Men.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

254 finishers in the men's novice and 151 finishers in the women's, compared to 186 and 108 last year. Ferocious standard in the men's race and the volume of runners meant that you could win or lose a lot of places in the last 100m. Happy with the race, if not my placing. Still the best race on the calendar!

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/results/Results_Novice_Women.pdf
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/downloads/results/Results_Novice_Men.pdf

Loved the finish up the hill. Cracking finish to the U15 girls.

Wottle wrote: »
    Loved the finish up the hill. Cracking finish to the U15 girls.

Mystery of the missing runner. Ladies race? What happened here?! Front of the race...
    http://www.crusadersac.ie/news/high-standards-for-national-novices-and-a-podium-place-for-niamh-allen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Following up on this Gowran announced for Leinsters

youngrun wrote: »
    Mystery of the missing runner. Ladies race? What happened here?! Front of the race...
    http://www.crusadersac.ie/news/high-standards-for-national-novices-and-a-podium-place-for-niamh-allen

I hadn't heard about that on the day and only saw it in the Crusaders report.

If you look in the finish photos, you can see the 2nd placed runner isn't listed in the final results. In earlier photos taken by Kieran Carlin, she's in 4th - 5th so it's not clear when she left the course and how she got back on - I presume they know that for a fact that she cut the course as she is a very good athlete so I can't imagine it would be impossible for her to have an exceptional run.

She was also supposed to be in the u19 race and not the novice. Missed all the drama on the day!

Bizarre to be both in the wrong race and to cut the course

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I hadn't heard about that on the day and only saw it in the Crusaders report.

If you look in the finish photos, you can see the 2nd placed runner isn't listed in the final results. In earlier photos taken by Kieran Carlin, she's in 4th - 5th so it's not clear when she left the course and how she got back on - I presume they know that for a fact that she cut the course as she is a very good athlete so I can't imagine it would be impossible for her to have an exceptional run.

She was also supposed to be in the u19 race and not the novice. Missed all the drama on the day!
    Has it been established that she definitely cut the course? If she was supposed to be in the U19, it would make sense that she was disqualified just on that alone (i.e. not registered for the senior race)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Has it been established that she definitely cut the course? If she was supposed to be in the U19, it would make sense that she was disqualified just on that alone (i.e. not registered for the senior race)

I don't know
    She was absolutely flying on the last lap for sure and stormed up from fifth to second
    Saw race at a couple of points and saw nothing re this
    If ineligible fair enough
    The races at senior level were really dramatic and great to watch, the weather and course all added to it from a spectators viewpoint and hopefully a runners!

Advertisement