Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Timmaay wrote: »
    Should have a tidy enough team here at the novice also!

By my reckoning I have a about 6 boardsies down for the mens race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Lots of confidence around here!

Here are the results from the Novice in 2007, last time it was held in Dungarvan:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/Novice%20Men%20XC%20Dec07.pdf

Under 100 points got you a medal again. Also, a good omen for Timmaay - Sli Cualann got bronze (just missing out on silver on countback)...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Sacksian wrote: »
    Lots of confidence around here!

Here are the results from the Novice in 2007, last time it was held in Dungarvan:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/Novice%20Men%20XC%20Dec07.pdf

Under 100 points got you a medal again. Also, a good omen for Timmaay - Sli Cualann got bronze (just missing out on silver on countback)...

Ha, its all a veneer to mask our countless deficiencies.

Lots of big names in the top 20 there. Even the likes of Tom Fitzpatrick in 37th :eek:

No Crusaders at all though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Ha, its all a veneer to mask our countless deficiencies.

Lots of big names in the top 20 there. Even the likes of Tom Fitzpatrick in 37th :eek:

No Crusaders at all though.

Ran it then and it feels like yesterday !! Great race bedlam start crazy fast pace and every place a battle . Where is the winner these days ?
    We had a galway girl run a stormer to take second from tenth at start of last lap think she is a crusader now ..!

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

28064212 wrote: »
    Are XC spikes a necessity? Haven't done an XC race before, but have the Dublin Intermediates and National Novices in the next two Sundays. Not entirely convinced I'll stick with it, so don't want to buy a pair of runners I'll only use twice. Will I be at a huge disadvantage running in road runners?
    I use a pair of old Adidas fell running shoes - better grip than road shoes, can also be used for trail runs and short road sections.

When replacing these I'll be getting Inov8s, probably the Mudclaw.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cold and muddy cross-country exists outside running's fads and fashions
    Cross-country is an effective part of winter training, but with thousands of pitfalls to negotiate in every race, it’s more than just a means to an end

A half session this evening and then physio tomorrow to navigate before Sunday, so this is a sacrifice to the running gods to ensure I make it to the start line.

A Universal Law of National Novice Medalling.
    No men's team has scored under 100 and failed to win a medal, since 2000.

But there’s no similar law to guarantee you gold - Clonliffe had 4 inside the Top 20 in 2009 (51pts - the joint-third lowest score since 2000) and still finished behind City of Derry (34) who had 4 inside the first 15.

It’s very cool going back through the individual results and seeing so many familiar names, especially Bronze in 1998: http://www.athleticsireland.ie/XCC_NOV/MEN/XCCIND98.HTM

Year|Venue|# of Finishers|GOLD|SILVER|BRONZE|Results Link
    2000|Dunleer|140|Sportsworld (135pts)|Sligo AC (136pts)|Liffey Valley (177pts)| 2000 results
    2001|Rostrevor|116|Leevale (59)|Raheny Shamrock (86)|Sligo AC (90)| 2001 results
    2002|Navan|163|Finn Valley (99)|Rathfarnham (104)|Clonliffe (107)| 2002 results
    2003|Killybegs|140|Togher (86)|Sligo AC (94)|Rathfarnham (102)| 2003 results
    2004|Mullingar|190|Rathfarnham (128)|Sligo AC (134)|Ballynonty (170)| 2004 results
    2005|AIT|173|Rathfarnham (97)|North Laois AC (134)|Raheny Shamrock (139)| 2005 results
    2006|AIT|169|Togher (98)|East Cork (133)|Rathfarnham (141)| 2006 results
    2007|Dungarvan|160|Ennis Track (81)|West Waterford (96)|Sli Cualann (96)| 2007 results
    2008|Ballyhaise|123|DSD (92)|Ferrybank (95)|Letterkenny (114)| 2008 results
    2009|UU|135|City of Derry (34)|Clonliffe Harriers (51)|Donore Harriers (127)| 2009 results
    2010|Tullamore|173|North Laois AC (95)|Donore Harriers (125)|Clonliffe Harriers (137)| 2010 results
    2011|Curragh|253|St. Malachy's (42)|City of Derry (126)|Clonliffe Harriers (161)| 2011 results
    2012|Adamstown|193|Finn Valley (63)|Leevale (73)|Togher (115)| 2012 results
    2013|WIT|222|Donore (51)|Rathfarnham (124)|Leevale (139)| 2013 results
    2014|Santry|197|Leevale (82)|Donore (84)|St. Abban's (118)| 2014 results

The Curragh race was incredible to watch . Was injured but had a team up there with club I had organised so headed up. The start was something else like something out of braveheart . One of our guys was running top 20 early on 5 min miling but completely blew a gasket on the last lap ended in the 70s. I remember the finish chutes being piled into at an incredible rate, one per second I would say mid pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Ha, what happened in 2008, winning time 22:35! :eek: I ran in Ballyhaise once when I was a junior, and to say it was a bog is an understatement. Parts of it were un-runable, crawling through muck and hedges.

youngrun wrote: »
    The Curragh race was incredible to watch . Was injured but had a team up there with club I had organised so headed up. The start was something else like something out of braveheart . One of our guys was running top 20 early on 5 min miling but completely blew a gasket on the last lap ended in the 70s. I remember the finish chutes being piled into at an incredible rate, one per second I would say mid pack.

I've heard the 'Braveheart' reference a couple of times in relation to that Curragh race, as well as stories of the ground shaking from the stampede at the start!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ha, what happened in 2008, winning time 22:35! :eek: I ran in Ballyhaise once when I was a junior, and to say it was a bog is an understatement. Parts of it were un-runable, crawling through muck and hedges.

Cavan: Where time stands still!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Munster Masters last Sunday. Wind Rain, Muck & ****e in Cappawhite, Co Tipp.

Arrived only to be greeted by Juveniles leaving "the field", having completed their races and a good number of them hobbling or being carried by parents. One ambulance with flashing lights also. Very encouraging start to the day. Leaving with ankles in tact would be an achievement in itself.
    Our races got underway early (about 40mins early), it wasn't a day for hanging around but id say some folks were still sitting in their cars when the gun went off.
    If you had asked me last week, I would have said that I had run 3 cross country races previously...but no....this would qualify as an official debut. There was only 2 short stretches on the 1.5k loop with any grass available, the rest was a slog through the ankle deep muck. Every time you planted your foot you didn't know what to expect, a rock, solid ground, a tree root. We must have looked like a bunch of newborn foals out there.

Post race facilities were a wash using a garden hose behind a house across the road and a cup of coffee at the side of the road in bare feet. Were proper hard!

I am officially baptised in the church of XC.

pconn062 wrote: »

Yeah, 2008 also had a great standard of runner throughout the Top 20. I presume it was a long course in 2008 and 2007 was probably short too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

EauRouge79 wrote: »

Arrived only to be greeted by Juveniles leaving "the field", having completed their races and a good number of them hobbling or being carried by parents. One ambulance with flashing lights also. Very encouraging start to the day. Leaving with ankles in tact would be an achievement in itself.
    Our races got underway early (about 40mins early), it wasn't a day for hanging around but id say some folks were still sitting in their cars when the gun went off.
    If you had asked me last week, I would have said that I had run 3 cross country races previously...but no....this would qualify as an official debut. There was only 2 short stretches on the 1.5k loop with any grass available, the rest was a slog through the ankle deep muck. Every time you planted your foot you didn't know what to expect, a rock, solid ground, a tree root. We must have looked like a bunch of newborn foals out there.

Post race facilities were a wash using a garden hose behind a house across the road and a cup of coffee at the side of the road in bare feet. Were proper hard!

Lol so you ran a xc race and it was in a field, where did you expect it to be. And the race in the "field" was on in November did you expect billard table conditions. ?

At least you had some grass to run on in some places lol. I remember a few xc races over the years where you couldn't find any grass at all. Masters in Clare spring to mind as does national intermediate in Donegal a few years ago....

But at least you enjoyed it sur it's great crack. Lol

Yeah, 2008 also had a great standard of runner throughout the Top 20. I presume it was a long course in 2008 and 2007 was probably short too?

Ballyhaise was an ice bog, there were still sheets of ice over puddles on the course for Novice race. Mud everywhere. And some very tough hills.
    Dungarvan is a very fast course , wouldnt be surprised at the times. Didnt clock distance in 07 but its flat , good underfoot and a few very quick sections .

EauRouge79 wrote: »

And this is before father time embellishes the story. Wait 20 years when you are telling kids how easy they have it compared to "running in the good aul days" where we were all "real runners" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Ceepo wrote: »
    Lol so you ran a xc race and it was in a field, where did you expect it to be. And the race in the "field" was on in November did you expect billard table conditions. ?

At least you had some grass to run on in some places lol. I remember a few xc races over the years where you couldn't find any grass at all. Masters in Clare spring to mind as does national intermediate in Donegal a few years ago....

But at least you enjoyed it sur it's great crack. Lol

I was there - my son was running - I think field would be an over elaborate description of this -- it did in fact remind me of the bog that is used in irelands fittest family, i think it would still be in pretty much this condition if we went in July never mind November!

a minutes silence for all the shoes that were lost in the swamp please...

I was there - my son was running - I think field would be an over elaborate description of this -- it did in fact remind me of the bog that is used in irelands fittest family, i think it would still be in pretty much this condition if we went in July never mind November!

a minutes silence for all the shoes that were lost in the swamp please...

Reminds me of All Ireland's in Mallow a good few years back with approx 10% of all participants in each race walking the course after to try and recover shoes lost in race (not sure if anyone actually managed to recover any :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Reminds me of All Ireland's in Mallow a good few years back with approx 10% of all participants in each race walking the course after to try and recover shoes lost in race (not sure if anyone actually managed to recover any :P)

Reminds me of why I stopped racing cross country! My last race was about 20 years ago. Intercounties in Dungarvan IIRC. I finished 2nd last and by an absolute miracle with 2 shoes. Later on I watched as John Treacy and Catherina McKiernan took part in a different sport as they seemed to skim over the surface.

All that said I might have been running in one this weekend if I didn't have to travel somewhere else. It's on a well drained sandy soil parkland course though. I like the idea of cross country and much prefer to train on trails and grass but when it comes to competing I'm just too heavy for mudbaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

Ennis Track will walk it if that team shows up.

Dunboyne for 2016

Lougheee wrote: »
    Dunboyne for 2016

Was just looking at you guys actually reckon yourselves and Cru could be fighting for a medal to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

Was just looking at you guys actually reckon yourselves and Cru could be fighting for a medal to.

Yeah I think we'll have a good run out on Sunday. Here's hoping anyway. We need to properly target this race as we definitely have a team that can challenge for the title. Its like each one of us takes turns being unfit or injured each year.

I remember the U/19 race of 07' very well. Last time I raced there. I think you may have done it yourself.

Hard to know results with the Novice, all these clubs I have never even heard of. Such an unknown. I remember thinking Donore would win it two years ago and they duly dominated, but never easy on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Ennis Track will walk it if that team shows up.

They all look to be in good form as well. Karl Fitzmaurice and Patrick Chesser were first and second in Munster novice and looked strong. Damien Landers finished up third in the mud at Munster senior comfortably ahead of the likes of Brian McMahon, Colm Sheehan and Philip Harty and he should feel a lot more comfortable stepping down. Kevin was just outside top-50 in interclubs and Brian Murphy was laying down some decent times on the track over the summer. Really hard to see them being beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Yeah I think we'll have a good run out on Sunday. Here's hoping anyway. We need to properly target this race as we definitely have a team that can challenge for the title. Its like each one of us takes turns being unfit or injured each year.

I remember the U/19 race of 07' very well. Last time I raced there. I think you may have done it yourself.

Hard to know results with the Novice, all these clubs I have never even heard of. Such an unknown. I remember thinking Donore would win it two years ago and they duly dominated, but never easy on the day.

Yea, hard to account for injuries and other issues. We said after the Novice last year that we would really target it this year. As it turns out our top four scorers from last year are all out with injury/taking a break and the best runner at our club who couldn't run last year is taking a break from running for a while. Even with that, we've had one guy come back from injury and a lot come through so we have a really solid squad without having anyone that would be really challenging up at the top of the field. Will be very difficult to medal but we should be in with a shout anyway. Either way, I'm really looking forward to it and sounds like it will be a class race up front.

Hard to luck beyond Ennis TC for the title with the summary given up above by NE. Lot of top class runners there.

I'd love to be very confident of our chances of a medal but given the usual tightness of finishers once you're outside the top 20, every team beyond the likely champions could be looking at a fairly wide spread. If everyone (ahead of me) on our team turns up and performs to their ability, I definitely think we have a chance - especially if other teams don't (turn up / perform to their ability!).

They all look to be in good form as well. Karl Fitzmaurice and Patrick Chesser were first and second in Munster novice and looked strong.
    Would you believe the guy who finished in front of them (won u23) was eligible for Novice but wasn't entered due to "administration error".
    The mind boggles

Just looking at my own county's team (Tipp) .
    Assume they all turn they will be very strong and may well be close to medals. I think a least 6 of them are capable of been in the top 40/50 ish if they run to form.

With the weather warning for the next 24 hrs to add to yesterday's rain fall, it will make things very interesting

Ceepo wrote: »
    Just looking at my own county's team (Tipp) .
    Assume they all turn they will be very strong and may well be close to medals. I think a least 6 of them are capable of been in the top 40/50 ish if they run to form.

With the weather warning for the next 24 hrs to add to yesterday's rain fall, it will make things very interesting

https://www.facebook.com/wwathletics/photos/a.112969295402057.11478.110810122284641/1053269551372022/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement

Looks great. Time to go look for the the 12mm spikes. At least it might slow the fast lads down a bit. Lol
    I think this photo was taken at last week's Munster masters xc

Advertisement