Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tax relief on postgraduate fees

• 15-08-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hi there
    Is there anyone who can answer me this.

I'm thinking of applying for a postgraduate nursing course in trinity in thenext year or so
    It's been 14 yrs since I done my degree.

The course fees are like 5000 per year.. Credit union here I come!

Would I be entitled to any tax relief.
    Have not got a clue how it works.

Il be working approx 24 -36 hours a week plus a day doing the course.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Will your employer sponsor you?

You are allowed offset college fees in the four years after the fees are incurred.

You would need to do tax returns.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it31.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hey thanks for that I'm fairly green in relation to this.
    To be honest I wouldn't ask employer I started new job 6 months ago in private sector at beginning they said they would sponsor up to 750 euro but would want you to stay for a " considerable " time.

I'm not made of money but for sake of 750 I wouldn't ask them as even thou the course is 100 % relevant to my work.
    They would not let me utilise it.
    My boss is the knowledgable one and that's they way they like it.. She always has the last say!
    I don't plan on staying too long

Thanks for reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Hey thanks for that I'm fairly green in relation to this.
    To be honest I wouldn't ask employer I started new job 6 months ago in private sector at beginning they said they would sponsor up to 750 euro but would want you to stay for a " considerable " time.

I'm not made of money but for sake of 750 I wouldn't ask them as even thou the course is 100 % relevant to my work.
    They would not let me utilise it.
    My boss is the knowledgable one and that's they way they like it.. She always has the last say!
    I don't plan on staying too long

Thanks for reply!

Yes you are entitled to tax relief if you're paying out of your own pocket. It's not a complicated process. You need to fill in a single form, attach proof of payment of your course fees, and send it to your local tax office. If you provide your bank account details on the form at some point in the next couple of weeks they will transfer to your account whatever you're entitled to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I think with college fees you disregard the first €3000(well it is with undergraduate fees). Honestly I would call revenue. They are really helpful with stuff like this

• Advertisement
Advertisement