Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job During LC

• 16-08-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

So i got a proper job at the start of may while in 5th year. Its with a nationwide electrical/computer store. For May I worked on average 25-33 hours a week and since I finished I've been working full 40 hour weeks. I got 515 in my summer exams even though I was working. I also just got moved to a department which I find a lot more enjoyable and is a lot less physical but it can be a bit stressful.
    So I'm going back to school in 2 weeks and since I really like working there, I decided not to hand in my notice.

I was talking to my HR manager, and we agreed that I could work one day at the weekend (8 hours) and one evening a week (4 hours), when I go back to school.
    Also I have plenty of holidays to take, and come the mocks and a few weeks before the leaving cert I can take study leave.

I 100% don't need the money, but its nice to have.
    Also it would be good not to have to look for a job next summer and for the first few years of college.

I'm aiming for 530/540 (maybe more come Monday). So my question is: Am I making a huge mistake? Apart from study this will be the only thing I plan and doing.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Personally if it's not necessary i don't see taking a whole day and a half off a week being beneficial. You obviously have a goid enough relationship with the HR manager, wouldn't you be able to take off a year for school and go back to work their after the leaving cert considering they know you're a good worker etc etc? By all means do what you want but just be aware that just study and homework alone will leave you short of free time during the year, let alone having a job on top of it all too

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Work until Christmas is my advice. I did that and it had no detrimental effect whatsoever. You can really focus then from January to June, your HR manager will surely understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

If you enjoy it, keep it up. There is absolutely no need to devote every minute of every day to study this year - you still need to take time for yourself and do things you enjoy, otherwise you'll burn out and likely be pretty miserable. Some people have hobbies or sports, some work. I worked all throughout 5th and 6th year and it did me absolutely no harm. But stick with it until the Mocks and then see if it's too much stress on you, would be my advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭aquse

If you enjoy it, keep it up. There is absolutely no need to devote every minute of every day to study this year - you still need to take time for yourself and do things you enjoy, otherwise you'll burn out and likely be pretty miserable. Some people have hobbies or sports, some work. I worked all throughout 5th and 6th year and it did me absolutely no harm. But stick with it until the Mocks and then see if it's too much stress on you, would be my advise.

I second this.

I was skipping school like crazy(Every third day) until after the Mocks and still got 515 with OL Math.

Advertisement