Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

When to buy

• 16-08-2015 7:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice lads. I have been saving up to get back on a bike after years off. Don't have much money but had planned on spending around 2000 on a bike. I was planning on selling a few bits and trying to avoid getting a loan but then a lovely bike came up and I got a loan. However the bike sold fast so now I have a few pounds to spend.
    I had originally planned on waiting until winter to buy as I think I would get more for my money. Do ye think that's right? Or should I just buy now?

I'm looking for a dragstar 650/1100 vn800 or a shadow 750.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Since you can ride bikes all year round in Ireland, they don't really get much cheaper in winter. There is just less transactions, with the bad weather, Christmas spending etc. The so called 'summer' season is almost over. If you have the money and the right bike comes up for sale, just buy it. At least you'll be able to test drive it in decent conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Sound. I'll keep my eyes peeled so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My advice is to have the money waiting and just check done deal every day. You have the money now, so that bit is over. If you're not in a rush for a bike you can wait a while for something decent to come along. Hard not to dip into the cash though!
    As for summer v winter, it depends really, you can always get someone stuck for cash. I got a great deal on my bike because someone was in a different country and stuck for cash. Not a great demand for that particular bike either.
    If you have the cash and go along to the sale with the cash it can make a big difference to you getting it at a good price or not.
    For cruiser type bikes I'd be looking for something a few years old but well cared for, a few do pop up.

Advertisement