Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Cashico Manchester city vs Chelsea. 4PM kick off sky sports 1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Jose will be gone by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Turtyturd wrote: »
    John Terry.

He's been anonymous all 2nd half. :D

My money for the 'straw man excuse' is on either:
    - the shade of paint on the training ground walls
    - Shipping half the squad to the Dutch league on loan

Or..... In a rare bolt of self awareness, Mou acknowledges that despite initial charm, he turns everyone against him in the end.

efb wrote: »
    Have the wheels come off the Chelsea bus?
    (The doctor must have loosened them when she was under it)

Nah, this is all part of Mourinho's forming of a siege mentality. Mind. Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Why wasn't toure sent off there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Yakult wrote: »
    I think im more excited to hear Mourinhos post match interview, than City winning. Yes, I definitely am. Should be fun.

All he'll say is, "better team won, congratulations to city. I cant comment on any topic you ask, but better team won, congratulations to city."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

hahahahah oh dear as if you couldn't get even more pathetic

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Everton readying themselves for a blank check off Chelsea for Stones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Fudge You wrote: »
    All he'll say is, "better team won, congratulations to city. I cant comment on any topic you ask, but better team won, congratulations to city."

That would be pretty much in point. Well outplayed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

My stream celebrated that goal a bit, well, strangely.

http://i.imgur.com/wftS8dC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Any assists for sterling ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think its about that time where JT starts a mutiny.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Niall Quinn looking unhappy, was maybe watching the hurling on a different screen....

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

All records are getting broken. First loss to Arsene Wenger, first loss to pelligrini. Sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

18 Goal Attempts 6
    8 Shots on Goal 1

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Any assists for sterling ?

0 assists
    0 shots on target
    0 chances created

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

0 assists
    0 shots on target
    0 chances created

But he still played good. Not motm or anything but decent today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone else think the Ramires disallowed goal should have stood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Well beaten, tough month ahead now with a team in poor form and plenty of pressure on their backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Jose's chiropodist is in for some bollocking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

0 assists
    0 shots on target
    0 chances created

Thank God stats don't tell the whole story then. Sterling played well today and City's attack has looked a lot more threatening and versatile with him there. As well as that people are forgetting they played Chelsea there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It's City's title now innit.

Jose was right to worry about his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Got this one wrong eh!! Very impressive from City.
    you have a blind spot when it comes to Mourinho:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Amazing result for City, looking forward to highlights later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

There were no positives. You can say "well at least Mourinho didn't park the bus in a big game" but that 90 minutes exemplified why he's been so cautious in almost every game he has played against top opposition since returning to Chelsea. Despite having the likes of Hazard, Fabregas, Costa, Willian ect. this is not a team that's been created to play free flowing football up against a side who are clearly superior at that. Two centre backs who lack pace, an inverted full back who isn't comfortable going forward and a converted centre back playing right back who gets forward to, often, comical results. That's the base on which you build your team and, when setup in a certain way, it's effective but they have not got the capabilities on which to build a free flowing team. Throw in Matic, Ramires and Willian and you've got a problem. It's an effective counter attacking team, but that's it, that's where it ends.

The real question is why Mourinho chose to change his setup in this game. That's open to speculation, it's really anyone's guess.

Overall City did well today, played some good stuff and their big players look rejuvenated. However I would say that if that's the best that the Premier League has to offer then the struggles in recent years in Europe are certain to continue. I said it earlier but I'll repeat it, these are not elite teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

0 assists
    0 shots on target
    0 chances created

Apart from not putting the right amount of weight on some passes. Raheem played very very well. City have a lot more versatility in attack now. They don't even need him to create goals or chances. They just need him to create space. Which he is doing, very well it must be said. If he starts creating assists and goals then that's a very good bonus. More pertinent is whether he'll be happy in and keep working as hard in the current role he's been given.

• Advertisement

There were no positives. You can say "well at least Mourinho didn't park the bus in a big game" but that 90 minutes exemplified why he's been so cautious in almost every game he has played against top opposition since returning to Chelsea. Despite having the likes of Hazard, Fabregas, Costa, Willian ect. this is not a team that's been created to play free flowing football up against a side who are clearly superior at that. Two centre backs who lack pace, an inverted full back who isn't comfortable going forward and a converted centre back playing right back who gets forward to, often, comical results. That's the base on which you build your team and, when setup in a certain way, it's effective but they have not got the capabilities on which to build a free flowing team. Throw in Matic, Ramires and Willian and you've got a problem. It's an effective counter attacking team, but that's it, that's where it ends.

The real question is why Mourinho chose to change his setup in this game. That's open to speculation, it's really anyone's guess.

Overall City did well today, played some good stuff and their big players look rejuvenated. However I would say that if that's the best that the Premier League has to offer then the struggles in recent years in Europe are certain to continue. I said it earlier but I'll repeat it, these are not elite teams.
    It's almost as though Mourinho's short-termism is catching up with him.

Nice win by City. Played great stuff.

The look on Mourinhio face made it even sweeter

It's somewhat disconcerting actually. The amount of money that's in the league and yet, the quality, seems to be on the wane. Games are competitive sure, but you'd find competitive soccer in a lower league tier somewhere in Europe too. The quality of both midfields today was drab.

Also the question over Jose's long term consistency is once again looming its head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Nah, this is all part of Mourinho's forming of a siege mentality. Mind. Games.

Under siege? All he has now is spitting in the soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

This.

Jose has never hung around long enough to build a legacy at a club because he usually falls out with the clubs owner/board or players or both.

TBH, I don't think he should have left Inter as quickly as he did. He should have hung around and tried to retain the Champions League with them.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Under siege? All he has now is spitting in the soup

Yeah but he'll blame the doorman for it.

Well the hope was that there'd be a more long term approach this time around. Afterall he has overseen the transition in the spine of this team which still existed during his first term at the club to the current one you see now. His buys have mostly been of the younger variety and he has talked constantly about giving players from the youth team a chance in the first team.

None of that is the problem, really the problem is Mourinho's seemingly self-destructive nature wherein he seems to get suddenly very fidgety after spending more than 2 seasons at a club. The other is that the problem typically with Mourinho teams are that they are often excellent at playing a very specific way but they struggle to be versatile, this is a team built for one purpose and today they were given a task which they simply don't have the tools to accomplish.

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's somewhat disconcerting actually. The amount of money that's in the league and yet, the quality, seems to be on the wane. Games are competitive sure, but you'd find competitive soccer in a lower league tier somewhere in Europe too. The quality of both midfields today was drab.

Also the question over Jose's long term consistency is once again looming its head.

The amount of space between the lines of both teams was incredible, especially considering that you couldn't say that the high pressing of either side was particularly brilliant so it wasn't as though either team were playing through an impressive press. Off the ball neither impressed. In midfield they are both so open (Chelsea unusually so due to the lack of a bus today). City certainly more productive in possession than Chelsea but against the best teams they absolutely don'y have enough firepower to compensate for their shortcomings off the ball. England is basically a law unto itself in the grand scheme of things, when one of their clubs go in for a player a European club can increase that player's price by anything up to 100%. Really they aren't buying the highest quality, the prices just give the appearance that they are.

It is a real question that needs to be asked, a genuine issue that we'll see play itself out this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jose sounds a bit shell shocked

• I hate city and I hate chealsea...but I can still laugh at mourihnio

Funny result

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Does Quinn look out of his depth on the panel. Thierry and Souness seem to be smirking at some of his comments. I think he is talking a bit of sh1te myself. Hate also when he is co-commentating as he never seems to shut up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Turtwig wrote: »

Sorry but comments like this really annoy me. The quality of the league is not on the wane at all, quite the opposite. Teams like Swansea, Palace, Newcastle and West Ham have signed players who would make teams in the top 4 in any other league this Summer. Just because the top teams don't have 2 or 3 player strikeforces that cost £150m-200m like Madrid and Barca doesn't mean the entire league is somehow bad, quite the opposite actually. Madrid and Barca are playing in a somewhat rigged league where there is no collective TV agreement. That's why they are the 2 biggest teams right now, along with dodgy banking loans.

Chelsea have a central midfield 2 of Matic and Fabregas, are they suddenly not good enough because of 2 bad results? I don't rate Toure as high as some but he's very good and Fernandinho was very good too, City don't have a really defensive midfielder which I think will come back to haunt them a bit but I don't think there's a much better front combo than Silva and Aguero knocking about in the world, they've added Sterling and are likely to get one or 2 more stars in. United are missing the x factor up front but have a very solid base now, Arsenal when they really get going should be able to give anyone a game. I predict a return to form in Europe of the English teams if not this season then definitely next. The league's competitiveness will breed a sharper group in the latter stages than the big 3 teams who have walkovers most weeks so could be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Great win for city. It looks like terry and Ivan have hit the wall reminds me of rio and vidic the season moyes was in charge of utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

northknife wrote: »
    Does Quinn look out of his depth on the panel. Thierry and Souness seem to be smirking at some of his comments. I think he is talking a bit of ****e myself. Hate also when he is co-commentating as he never seems to shut up.

Henry is just as bad, but I do feel Quinn has a point about Terry as it could be the phasing him out.

Liam O wrote: »
    Sorry but comments like this really annoy me. The quality of the league is not on the wane at all, quite the opposite. Teams like Swansea, Palace, Newcastle and West Ham have signed players who would make teams in the top 4 in any other league this Summer. Just because the top teams don't have 2 or 3 player strikeforces that cost £150m-200m like Madrid and Barca doesn't mean the entire league is somehow bad, quite the opposite actually. Madrid and Barca are playing in a somewhat rigged league where there is no collective TV agreement. That's why they are the 2 biggest teams right now, along with dodgy banking loans.

Chelsea have a central midfield 2 of Matic and Fabregas, are they suddenly not good enough because of 2 bad results? I don't rate Toure as high as some but he's very good and Fernandinho was very good too, City don't have a really defensive midfielder which I think will come back to haunt them a bit but I don't think there's a much better front combo than Silva and Aguero knocking about in the world, they've added Sterling and are likely to get one or 2 more stars in. United are missing the x factor up front but have a very solid base now, Arsenal when they really get going should be able to give anyone a game. I predict a return to form in Europe of the English teams if not this season then definitely next. The league's competitiveness will breed a sharper group in the latter stages than the big 3 teams who have walkovers most weeks so could be caught out.

The quality of the top teams can really only be judged by Europe. English teams have been quite poor in Europe and Italy have closed the gap. Still a bit off.

• Advertisement

Ye....good luck with all that.....I'd expand but, well, I don't think I really need to point out why that's wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I don't understand why Chelsea haven't signed 2 or 3 new players to compete for the first team, they are quite predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

rarnes1 wrote: »
    The quality of the top teams can really only be judged by Europe. English teams have been quite poor in Europe and Italy have closed the gap. Still a bit off.

Do you think the Italian teams in Europe have more chance than the English teams this season or for the foreseeable future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Jose sounds a bit shell shocked
    It came across as a rambling interview, trying to claim they "won" the second half and that we should have finished with 9 men. He's entitled to his opinion, I guess.

Do you think the Italian teams in Europe have more chance than the English teams this season or for the foreseeable future?

Juventus? Possibly yes. Lazio and Roma...no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

edgecutter wrote: »
    Henry is just as bad, but I do feel Quinn has a point about Terry as it could be the phasing him out.

Yeah agree Henry can be irritating at times, he just seems to ramble on and go off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

karma_ wrote: »

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

after an awful match with little to no positive to take from it. this comment made me laugh. thank you

It is. Manchester Utd of a few years ago, Arsenal, heck even Liverpool (no offense intended Liverpool fans) were in much better standing than City and Chelsea are Europe wise. Midfield they're a mess. Gary Neville touched on it, in England now there's far too much space, players get time to move and play with the ball. There's no aggression and no penetration in attack. Then teams lack technical ability. Make no mistake if it wasn't for the great marketing ability of the EPL the league's rep would have dropped already. If the only way for a team in England to beat a European opponent is via a back to walls defensive performance then you know there's an ability gap.

Take La Liga this season. Sevilla, Valencia, Atletico, Villareal and many other clubs have all strengthened their squads. Yes, Barca, Bayern and Real get first pick for any player they want but that doesn't mean the hierarchy ends there. All clubs follow a hierarchy and some are more astute than others when it comes to signing and managements.

EPL folk seem to be thinking that because they're spending more they're strengthening. They're not really. They're just getting more or less the same for inflated values. The premier league has lost the intensity in games that it used to have.

Fwiw, I do really like the look of Swansea at the moment had they an up and coming Aguero or Suarez they'd be serious contenders if they maintain their current form.

shrewd wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

after an awful match with little to no positive to take from it. this comment made me laugh. thank you

Well Kloppo is hanging around without a club so it may not be far fetched.....if things keep going this badly for Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

karma_ wrote: »

Quite a leap considering he just signed a new contract. But I feel a sense of dejavu.

Advertisement