Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bovine material in Dental Implants

Options
  • 16-08-2015 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi there,

I am due to have dental implants fitted. However, due to a loss of bone, I have been told that I will need a bone graft using bovine bone for one of the teeth.

It is for a tooth on lower jaw at the back. The alternative is a longer tooth which I have been told may not take as well without the graft.

I am very wary of this with regards to potential health risks in the future. But I feel under pressure to have it as the dentist is confident of it's safety and success.

Any experience/knowledge of this material would be greatly welcomed.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

OP, the below is from a previous post on the subject
    Artificial bone (not from your body or Xenograft) can be totally synthetic, bovine or from other humans (cadaver material). Mostly bovine bone is used as it has good long term results and decades of research.

Its not really bovine...its starts life as bovine bone, from a heard of genetically controlled medical cows reared for the function. The bone is crushed and prepared by heating it to over 1000 C for 18 hours, incinerating any organic material and leaving only the inorganic matrix of minerals. This is then sterilised with gamma radiation. There is no cow cells, proteins or prions left in it. Very safe and very reputable. It acts as a matrix for your own bone growth.

All these materials are extremely expensive, bovine included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

These materials are very well tested and have been used since the 1980;s. There are no potential health risks. Over time the mineral chips (which is all the bone grafting meterial is) are infiltrated and replaced with your own bone. It is their biocompatability that allows them to work.

If in any doubt you should ask the treating dentist these questions, and they should be able to explain their action, composition and pros and cons with you.

Advertisement