Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something different to see /do

Options
  • 16-08-2015 1:18pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm in dublin for a couple of days mid week with my 10yr old son.
    We have a few hours to kill both days and I'm looking for a few suggestions.
    We will be based nr St James hospital, we've done most of the museums etc and are on a tight budget.

Suggestions for somewhere to visit, walk, see and eat would be really helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

If you haven't already done the art museum in the royal hospital then do that, its free and only a 5 minute walk from St James.
    There's also a pitch and putt in ballyfermot (20 min walk?) that's only a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

That St Michan's Tomb thing near the Four Courts.

Actually sitting in and touring round the Four Courts itself is also very interesting IMHO and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Nerdy option alert: I'd print out this 1904 map of the walls of Medieval Dublin and go on an adventure together reimagining the medieval city. Google the histories of the pillory, the cornmarket, the gates, how much wider the Liffey was, the mills in Thomas Court and Bride Street and check the interesting history of the "Bull Ring" beforehand. Note the streets in the same area named after various professions -Merchants' Quay, Winetavern Street, Fishamble Street, Skinner Row, Cook Street (the most impressive remnants of the walls, dating to 1242, are here; cooks had to be outside the city in case of fire), etc.

Google Dublin's Tholsel (town hall) which is long gone but you'll be able to find a drawing and fit it into your picture, and so on. All in this small area (and of course you know that James Street was the start for many medieval pilgrims who walked the Camino de Santiago/Way of St James). Lastly, check beforehand as there could also be lunchtime choir music in St Patrick's Cathedral. And don't forget Burdock's next to Dublin Castle for the fish and chips.

With a bit of online research you could create a class history tour for your few hours in that area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Some great suggestions, thanks so much. Fingers crossed the weather stays dry!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

gaiscioch wrote: »
    <snip excellent idea>

With a bit of online research you could create a class history tour for your few hours in that area.

That's a brilliant idea - ever think of doing it and popping it online for people to download & use? Or even setting it up as a tour and charging people to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Wow gaisioch you absolutely could set up a tour, you should do it!!

I was going to suggest the Chester Beaty library as it's so close to where you'll be staying, lovely place to visit.

Advertisement