Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in swords

Options
  • 16-08-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi im thinking of buying a property in swords. Anyone got any reccomendations where to buy or where to avoid. And what Swords is like in general? Budget of 280. Ive 4 teenagers . Or any suggestions where to buy on the north side as im not from the area but my husband is and im just a bit nervous relocating. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Forum Requests

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've been living in Swords since the early eighties and I love it. It has everything, and is only 15 minutes from the sea too. We have all the nicest beaches here on the north side :)
    I raised my daughters here, they had access to every activity they wanted to do and the schools are excellent. I live in Rivervalley, it's got its own primary school and a Loreto secondary school for girls, and the Christian Brothers for boys is on the Forest Road. There are other really nice areas with newer houses, depending on your budget. Some have community centres and are family orientated, while others are less so. For instance, Boroimhe is a lovely estate and the houses are really nice but there's no heart to it and nothing at all for teenagers to do. There are plenty of sports/GAA/Scouts clubs in Swords.

You should drive around the various areas of Swords and the north side in general, just to get a feel for it and see what areas you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 annieann123

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Sounds great. Really good advice. Il take a drive around the areas to get a feeling for it. I was mainly worried because it has gotten so populated over the years and just want a good area to raise my teenagers. Really appreciate your advice. Thank you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The good thing about the bigger population is that the infrastructure and amenities are better. We have a great shopping centre, a cinema etc. When I moved here it was a little village.

True. Ah thats great feeling really more positive about moving out there. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

If you've four teenagers you also need to check out the areas in that newer areas often have younger kids, not teenagers. I too am in Rivervalley, almost 30 years. My area of Hilltown is quite mature, not too many kids around, where as the Brookdale area, the families are much younger. My youngest is 16 but has no friends from immediate area. Few from Ridgewood, some from Brookdale.
    Just another thing to keep in mind.

Tks yet again grt advice. I knw it be hard for a while for them. But hopefully will mix through schools etc. As we will all be new to everything. I like the sound of a mature area myself. As mine are older teenagers i suppose i just gotta check areas out. Thank you so much for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I am from Swords, I don't live there any more but it seems to be much better for teenagers these days. They seem to be come from everywhere to hang around the shopping centre and for the most part they are pretty tame kids. I grew up in a small estate just off the road out to Malahide and I think location wise around there is probably the handiest as you can walk to the village and shops, and then the bus stops into town are close by. The estates around there are Ashley, Chapel Lane, Foxwood, although now that I think of it there might be many houses big enough for 4 teenagers!

Also, I went to Loreto but my younger brother went to Portmarnock and some of his friends went to Malahide so there are plenty of options outside of the schools in Swords.

Hi sorry to bother you again. Ive seen some properties now in swords. And just need some feedback on Swords Manor and Berwick?? Tks.

Anyone any feedback on buying a house in Swords Manor or Berwick. As ive seen 2 properties i like. And just need to knw about the area. Tks in advance.

• Advertisement

I don't know anything about Berwick but Swords Manor is a mature and well established area :)

Thanks☺

Hi ive recently viewed 3 houses. One is in Swords manor...Berwick...and Brookdale. Anyone tell me what these areas are like? Or advice on where to buy in Swords. Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi ive recently viewed 3 houses. One is in Swords manor...Berwick...and Brookdale. Anyone tell me what these areas are like? Or advice on where to buy in Swords. Tks

annieann123 - You already have one thread on the topic in the forum. There's no need to start another. I have merged these for you.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Hi Annieann ,

Ive lived in Swords Manor for 14 years and think its a great place to live. On my road , houses are generally mixed about 60% Owner Occupied , 40% Rented . Ive never seen any trouble in my time there and I live close to the Pub . Ive a child in St. Cronans which is an excellent school . We had a choice of schools at the time and after a lot of research and talking to a couple of school inspectors , was told that it was an excellent school and that has been our expeience so far.
    Positives :
    -Good community for the most part (Our neighbours are our friends). Some roads have annual street parties for families.
    -Close to regular bus service inc. Swords Express. Nitelink
    -Walking distance to Swords Town/Pavillions
    -Close to good School
    -Spar is Handy
    -Close to all sports amenities and playground
    -Valley (Jacko) is lovely for walks (W/End,Daytime)

Negatives :
    - Bus goes around the world before getting to Sw.Manor!!!
    - Kids hanging around pubs ,shops . Never given me any hassle , but doesnt look great.
    -The Manor Inn Pub wouldnt be most peoples first choice. (Maybe Harsh ?)
    -Valley/Jacko at night , but thats easily avoided.

Any other questions , please ask . Feel free to PM aswell if youve any more particular questions you dont want public.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

plus Swords has scored above European norms in the IBAL survey!

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Ye ive my heart now set on swords. I love the village and all the amenities. Just have to choose the area. I do love the houses in the manor so i had did a google search to find out about the area etc. I read that a few yrs back the houses were all spray painted and a house in the area had its windows smashed etc. Has things settled since? I knw most places have its good n bad points.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Ye ive my heart now set on swords. I love the village and all the amenities. Just have to choose the area. I do love the houses in the manor so i had did a google search to find out about the area etc. I read that a few yrs back the houses were all spray painted and a house in the area had its windows smashed etc. Has things settled since? I knw most places have its good n bad points.

No problem. I don't remember the spray painting incident, but the other one as far as I remember was an argument between two people and they got the wrong house.
    I have seen graffiti from time to time in public areas, but it generally gets painted over by residents. There's also regular clean up days.
    Like I say, I'm here 14 years and I've never encountered any trouble and neither have my direct neighbours.

Thanks again. I suppose any area is what you make of it yourself. Good to hear positive feedback about your area. Puts your mind at ease to hear you been happy there. Defenitley will look at houses in the manor. Tks.

Advertisement