Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift card stolen- can I find out when it's used?

Options
  • 16-08-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All

My house was broken into last night( while I was asleep upstairs with my two kids). They took a lot of stuff including wallets.
    I just thought about voucher I got for my little girl. Never used so there is a big chance they will try to use it. I went to the shop and was told that they have no way of finding out when card is used?

Is there any way I could check that?

I would appreciate any help!

thank you in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Boruma

Of course you can tell do u know when u bought it. They would have a record of swiping cash for a card. Bit of work in it. Is it a big dept store or a local store

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I was working in a shop a while back, a situation exactly like this happened and the guards came in and asked if we could trace the card. It can be done, even easier if you paid for the voucher with a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tishia05

Bought in Next my friend paid by card we have a date and time... Should I let the guards know or do it myslef?

Thank you so so much for responses:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Boruma

Guards and push them to do it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think this thread would be better in the Consumer Issues forum than the Limerick forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 tishia05

Clareman wrote: »
    I think this thread would be better in the Consumer Issues forum than the Limerick forum.

How can I move? apologies for that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tishia05 wrote: »
    How can I move? apologies for that
    It's there, Clareman had already moved it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

+1 on guards. You'll find it very difficult to (impossible I'd say) to do it yourself.

Most of these Gift Cards (Plastic type) are linked to Visa or Mastercard so there might be avenues there to get it cancelled.

I hope they catch the scum bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

These days the cards are incredibly easy to track but you will probably need to go to the Gards first for the shop to do anything about it otherwise there would be little to stop people buying a voucher selling it for less than face value and then going to the shop for a refund saying it was stolen/lost etc before the buyer has had a chance to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What you bet these scumbags are probably covered by the Data Protection Act.

Court order for the information would be the only route I think.

Or you could ask the company where YOU used the gift card and leave out the bit about them being stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

If it was paid for by card, you could get the store to cancel it & re-imburse, or else do a chargeback on the card. After that, who cares if they try to use it.

Advertisement