Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread 2015*** Link to R1 points in the OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GaryL0904

No idea. I got an email from TCD with the information on theirs a week or two ago but I'd say we'll hear from them within the next few days :)
    Are you actually going to go to the DARE orientation? Is it necessary? The e-mail made it seem optional although it could be good to get a look around the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

GaryL0904 wrote: »
    Are you actually going to go to the DARE orientation? Is it necessary? The e-mail made it seem optional although it could be good to get a look around the place.

In previous years, according to boards users, both HEAR and DARE orientations are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GaryL0904

spurious wrote: »
    In previous years, according to boards users, both HEAR and DARE orientations are really good.
    Oh right, interesting. I might head up then. It also invites parents to go. Is there anything there for them or is it more targeted towards students?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Chalum

Got my Place in Athlone for Pharmaceutical Science :) Anyone else going to AIT cause i know no one who's going haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oh right, interesting. I might head up then. It also invites parents to go. Is there anything there for them or is it more targeted towards students?

Well, for parents of HEAR people, it's quite likely they won't have been to college themselves so it's to try and answer any questions they have and let them see what it's all about. They're probably very proud of you. I think it would be nice for your parent(s) to go, if they can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

spurious wrote: »
    Well, for parents of HEAR people, it's quite likely they won't have been to college themselves so it's to try and answer any questions they have and let them see what it's all about. They're probably very proud of you. I think it would be nice for your parent(s) to go, if they can.

My mother never stepped foot in a college before i think shes more excited then i am haha

• Registered Users Posts: 49 morclc

Anyone going to St Angelas in Sligo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Anyways, rant over. NUIG courses went up massively! My course went up by 55 points, while the highest I saw was 70 points for Electrical Engineering!

Despite being 31, I like to look at the points every year, it's always interesting. I am amazed by the amount of courses in the last few years across lots of colleges that are now well over 500 points where they would never have been anywhere near that previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Yeah I'd say I'll more than likely go. It's not mandatory or anything. I suppose how worthwhile it'll be depends a good bit on whatever the reason was you applied for DARE. They'll mainly be just talking to us about whatever supports they offer and like you said, give us a look around the place as far as I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gem957

Kremin wrote: »
    Actuarial Maths, and you?

Accounting & Finance, I can't wait to finally start! (Well not the getting up early part)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hello 1996

Anyone doing Speech and Language Therapy in UCC? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Anyone here get accepted into maynooth??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Does anyone know whether there is a UL Freshers 2015/16 Facebook page yet or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kcera

Hey Lads,Can I ask you a question...

I got my 3rd option which over the summer I grew to hate it,So I only have my options 1 and 2 left.So lets say option 1 and 2 are at 300 today,I only managed 295 in the leaving,If I was to appeal my results and lets say I went up a grade would I be given my first choice?

Also what should I do with my offer,Someone recommend me to accept It and then to ring the college and tell them I don't want It,Please lads/lassies If any of yi could help!

thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shoopdeboop

kcera wrote: »

I got my 3rd option which over the summer I grew to hate it,So I only have my options 1 and 2 left.So lets say option 1 and 2 are at 300 today,I only managed 295 in the leaving,If I was to appeal my results and lets say I went up a grade would I be given my first choice?

Also what should I do with my offer,Someone recommend me to accept It and then to ring the college and tell them I don't want It,Please lads/lassies If any of yi could help!

thanks!!

If you accept the offer now, and then went up a grade, then yes you'd get your higher preference course, assuming it stays at 300.

But if you don't want the place, don't accept it if you're instantly going to ring the college to cancel it.

If you accept the offer now, and then went up a grade, then yes you'd get your higher preference course, assuming it stays at 300.

But if you don't want the place, don't accept it if you're instantly going to ring the college to cancel it.

thanks,So will I just ignore the offer I have?
    Do points ever go up from round one VS round 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

thanks!!

Put it this way: suppose you appeal and you don't get the extra points you need for your first or second choice, would you still want to do the third choice course that you say you now hate? Base your decision on that, not on whether you might get the others on appeal or not, because if you appeal and get upgraded and get your first or second choice, happy days. But if you don't get the upgrade, will you be happy in your third choice course?

Also, why would you accept it and then tell the college you don't want it? Isn't that just wasting your time and theirs? If you don't want it then don't accept it.
    thanks,So will I just ignore the offer I have?
    Do points ever go up from round one VS round 2

Points can't go up. They can stay the same or go down.

Put it this way: suppose you appeal and you don't get the extra points you need for your first or second choice, would you still want to do the third choice course that you say you now hate? Base your decision on that, not on whether you might get the others on appeal or not, because if you appeal and get upgraded and get your first or second choice, happy days. But if you don't get the upgrade, will you be happy in your third choice course?

Points can't go up. They can stay the same or go down.

Thanks for that,No my third choice is definitely not for me,At the time I had Parents in my ear about how many IT jobs there is in Ireland,so I decided to put It down.I will definitely not be doing that.
    Although If I didn't get option 1 or 2, I do have a PLC that will get me to where I want to be!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ShaunaM1

Has anybody got bioscience in IT Carlow or is anyone going IT Carlow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 nes_97

morclc wrote: »
    Anyone going to St Angelas in Sligo??

Me :) what you studying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

Anyone get accounting and finance in maynooth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

My cousin got music Technology in Maynooth. What is that course like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

Anyone going into Sports Science in Athlone or know what the course is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Anyone going into Sports Science in Athlone or know what the course is like?

It's a good course friend is doing it she also had to study hard, lot of studying in it for theory

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DUBLINHITMAN97

It's a good course friend is doing it she also had to study hard, lot of studying in it for theory[/]

Thanks for the reply, what kind of work is done in the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Guys, I'm 5 points off animal science in UCD, got an offer for my course in Limerick but UCD is all i want, have I a good chance in the 2nd round of getting UCD? Im not accepting my UL offer. Also if i got it in the 3rd round after rechecks would ye advice me to defer it and start the following year or to start it this year even though ill have missed a month and would have accom to sort? If i dint get it ill be repeating :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Guys, I'm 5 points off animal science in UCD, got an offer for my course in Limerick but UCD is all i want, have I a good chance in the 2nd round of getting UCD? Im not accepting my UL offer. Also if i got it in the 3rd round after rechecks would ye advice me to defer it and start the following year or to start it this year even though ill have missed a month and would have accom to sort? If i dint get it ill be repeating :(

You won't always have a choice about the deferring - some colleges won't be able to offer you a position until the next academic year. If they give you a choice it's up to yourself - will you be able to sort out accommodation etc., will you be confident you can catch up with a few weeks missed work? It's not ideal to start a few weeks into a course as you miss a lot of both academic and social stuff but if you have no other plan for the year and want to get cracking then just go for it.

Being 5 points away obviously you're in a decent position to get a 2nd round offer BUT it's impossible to know if any places will even become available. Everyone who was offered might take it, no one who was offered might take it - you just can't tell. Sit tight and keep the fingers crossed for another week!

Only decline your offer for UL if you are 100% sure you do not want to go there, even if it means you do not get to go to college at all this year. If you accept it you can still get offered a place in UCD but if you decline it you could be left with nothing. But of course if you're set on UCD and would rather repeat than go to UL then decline away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

Does anyone know how long it takes the CAO to communicate with the colleges? I accepted my course in Trinity first thing on Monday morning but my tcd.ie portal still says its waiting for a response; I know it says that it will be synchronised as info becomes available from CAO, it just seems to be taking an awful long time! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

mdudy wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long it takes the CAO to communicate with the colleges? I accepted my course in Trinity first thing on Monday morning but my tcd.ie portal still says its waiting for a response; I know it says that it will be synchronised as info becomes available from CAO, it just seems to be taking an awful long time! Thanks.

For UCD it takes three working days so maybe it's the same for trinity? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jacobwrench97

When is the DEAR orientation evening in UCD?

Advertisement