Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread 2015*** Link to R1 points in the OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jacobwrench97

Oh, and congratulaions to all on their offers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

is there much sport involved in orientations, like would bringing shorts football boots etc be essential ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

is there much sport involved in orientations, like would bringing shorts football boots etc be essential ?

Orientation is about showing you where student services are, showing you the buildings you have lectures in, meeting people from various services, e.g. students union, so you know where to find things, getting you registered, getting your ID card, sorting out paperwork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Sport during orientation? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

i was talking about the hear orientation they mentioned participating in events but i wasn't sure if the events were sports related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

My friend missed out on his orientation because he forgot to bring shin guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michele101

Kinda confused about UCC orientation.. There's separate ones for each course starting in two weeks but then there's another one in September. So do people go to both? Because I won't be living down there in 2 weeks so feeling confused haha. Wonder if the first orientation is compulsory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

michele101 wrote: »
    Kinda confused about UCC orientation.. There's separate ones for each course starting in two weeks but then there's another one in September. So do people go to both? Because I won't be living down there in 2 weeks so feeling confused haha. Wonder if the first orientation is compulsory?

2 weeks from now is September. Lectures start on the 7th in UCC so the orientations will be running probably from the 31st August - 4th September. Its really important to attend your orientation day, you register for college, receive your student ID card and there are other important aspects. We're just less than 3 weeks from lectures starting so you really should be in cork in the next 2 weeks anyway. don't miss your orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

peekachoo wrote: »
    2 weeks from now is September. Lectures start on the 7th in UCC so the orientations will be running probably from the 31st August - 4th September. Its really important to attend your orientation day, you register for college, receive your student ID card and there are other important aspects. We're just less than 3 weeks from lectures starting so you really should be in cork in the next 2 weeks anyway. don't miss your orientation.

the 7th :O

Dcu doesnt start till the 21st iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Kremin wrote: »

As far as i know most colleges are back the 7th - UL NUIG etc, I know Trinity is back late but not sure about where else.

We finish lectures in march though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yep. Lectures start on the 21st and orientation for 2-3 days on the previous week.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Peregrine wrote: »
    Yep. Lectures start on the 21st and orientation for 2-3 days on the previous week.
    Will DCU email everyone who accepted a course with info about registration and whatnot, and how long does that usually take? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

Will DCU email everyone who accepted a course with info about registration and whatnot, and how long does that usually take? :p

your letters should arrive next monday as thats the closing date

• Registered Users Posts: 21 A.B123

Anyone else doing business information systems at NUIG :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onequestion19

anyone doing new media and english in ul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

anyone doing new media and english in ul?

Hey, i'm a graduate of English :) thought I'd post to you to let you know if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them :) I did English and most of my friends are new media and English :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onequestion19

Aragneer wrote: »
    Hey, i'm a graduate of English :) thought I'd post to you to let you know if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them :) I did English and most of my friends are new media and English :D

Any help would be much appreciated tbh. Maybe your experience of the course etc. thanks! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

GaryL0904 wrote: »
    CAO i'd say,

Address: Central Applications Office,
    Tower House,
    Eglinton Street,
    Galway, Ireland.
    Tel. +353-(0)91-509800
    Fax +353-(0)91-562344

To follow up on this is a ridiculous mess up from the CAO!

Rang the college he should have gotten a place in, they said he definitely should have been given a place & they said that was very odd and to mail the CAO.

Brother emailed the CAO, they told him that they had NO RECORD OF HIS RESULTS! 😰
    Examintion number was sent and things were followed up that he did sit his leaving cert it was the CAO that had no record of it!

No apology on CAO's part, all that was finally said was "We have taken you results into consideration, and round 2 offers will commence ....."

So to finish, will he finally get an offer in round 2 that he was robbed of on the part of the CAO? Absolute F up on their part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭kingsofoffaly

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    To follow up on this is a ridiculous mess up from the CAO!

Rang the college he should have gotten a place in, they said he definitely should have been given a place & they said that was very odd and to mail the CAO.

Brother emailed the CAO, they told him that they had NO RECORD OF HIS RESULTS! 😰
    Examintion number was sent and things were followed up that he did sit his leaving cert it was the CAO that had no record of it!

No apology on CAO's part, all that was finally said was "We have taken you results into consideration, and round 2 offers will commence ....."

So to finish, will he finally get an offer in round 2 that he was robbed of on the part of the CAO? Absolute F up on their part!

Your joking, how could that have happened ? :O thats totally that fault of the CAO seemly its not the first time they are made a mistake this year!
    :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

One or two mistakes in how many tens of thousands of courses and exam results? Let's get things into perspective. See what happens in Round Two before flipping out.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    One or two mistakes in how many tens of thousands of courses and exam results? Let's get things into perspective. See what happens in Round Two before flipping out.

Very true and it could easily be because the SEC didn't send the results to the CAO. They can only work with results that have been submitted to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Padraigoc18

anyone doing Marketing & Management level 8 in LIT ?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

How are the script viewing times organised? Is it randomly chosen or are there ranges that students must be in to be put in a certain time?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

Broseph wrote: »
    How are the script viewing times organised? Is it randomly chosen or are there ranges that students must be in to be put in a certain time?

I think it's random, although you can request a specific slot if you're busy or something.

There's normally a session between 6-9 pm on Friday evening, then a Saturday morning session between 9-12. I think there can be a Saturday afternoon session as well depending on the size of the school, it's never needed in the school I work in.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

There's normally a session between 6-9 pm on Friday evening, then a Saturday morning session between 9-12. I think there can be a Saturday afternoon session as well depending on the size of the school, it's never needed in the school I work in.

Thanks. I know what time the sessions are on but is it random which session you're given to view the scripts?

Thanks. I know what time the sessions are on but is it random which session you're given to view the scripts?

I think so. Unless you've gone into the school to say you'll be away on one of the days, then I know students have been accommodated for the other day in my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Any help would be much appreciated tbh. Maybe your experience of the course etc. thanks! :)

No bother at all, I know how daunting it all can be :)

The course is great! It is usually a very large course which wittles away as you go through the years but you'll never have to worry about being lonely as not only will you be with coursemates but other courses too who take English, like Language course and Arts. I was one of those courses!

Unfortunately, due to the huge amount of students, it is quite difficult to get 1x1 time with your lecturers at first but in second year to third year, people start to get to know you and you'll know your favourite lecturers then!

Course material can vary. As you can guess, there is A LOT of reading in this course. One thing I learned, unless it specifically says and you get percentage docked for not doing it, DO NOT buy all your books. The MLA handbook is handy to have but everything is on the internet nowadays and if there are any books you need, I'd be happy to sell them for under 5euro. You can get them all super cheap off other students or just find pdfs online! It saves SO much more money :D
    Do make sure you read some of the material though and do it in advance as I always made that mistake and had to write an essay whilst I read the books!

Honestly though, the course is great. You'll really come out of your shell, form some great opinions and become opinionated yourself if you aren't already and you'll find what you're really good at even if you don't get there till 3rd year!

You also get to go on co-op and Erasmus and have options to go abroad and get a new experience!

It's a great open course and I am sure you'll love it :D

If you need anything, feel free to ask here or PM me and if you need books, I desperately need rid of mine and would go very low in pricing :D

ENJOY and congrats :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 biosci

Has anyone gotten a letter from SUSI or has had the account updated from "provisionally awarded"? I'm starting to worry about it now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

biosci wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten a letter from SUSI or has had the account updated from "provisionally awarded"? I'm starting to worry about it now...

I didn't get mine approved until Decemeber last year after applying in June. I applied in ay this year, and got it two weeks ago.

Advertisement