Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hospital consultant

Options
  • 16-08-2015 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi , is it possible to refuse to be treated by a consultant ? as in , are there any consequences if you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Do you mean by a particular consultant or by any consultant at all?

It's possible to refuse treatment by anyone but if an emergency arrived you'd be taking a chance. If we have a third child I'll return to my previous consultant, but I'll be requesting not to be treated by one consultant and I'll do so in writing. You can decline treatment at any time and ask for a second opinion. There's also one nurse who mangled my arm taking bloods so I won't let them near me either. However it'd be difficult to decline treatment by all consultants as complications could arise and they'd be necessary for things like instrumental delivery or a c section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

biancabe wrote: »
    Hi , is it possible to refuse to be treated by a consultant ? as in , are there any consequences if you do?

Well, the consequences in an emergency could be earth shattering.

Could you clarify what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

January wrote: »
    Well, the consequences in an emergency could be earth shattering.

Could you clarify what you mean?

ok , yes I meant a certain consultant,
    I mentioned it to my gp today and she saw no problem with my never wanting him anywhere near me again

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

Yes of course, patients have a right to decide not to be treated by a particular doctor/nurse.

As mentioned above, it is important to clarify your position in the event of emergencies. Unfortunately with pregnancy, emergencies don't always happen when you want them and at weekends/out of hours, the consultant you wish to avoid may be on call and providing services. If you are a private patient then usually there are options, but as a public patient be prepared for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

JohnBee wrote: »
    Yes of course, patients have a right to decide not to be treated by a particular doctor/nurse.

As mentioned above, it is important to clarify your position in the event of emergencies. Unfortunately with pregnancy, emergencies don't always happen when you want them and at weekends/out of hours, the consultant you wish to avoid may be on call and providing services. If you are a private patient then usually there are options, but as a public patient be prepared for that.

As above, if it was an emergency and it was the only doctor available (night time/weekends/bank holiday) you may have to rethink your position.

Nurses are usually plentiful so that's not such a concern.

But yes, you can refuse to be treated by a certain consultant or nurse. Certainly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement