Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Limerick

• 16-08-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm bringing my girlfriend to Limerick in a few weeks visiting family. Can anyone recommend some worthwhile things to do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

What are your interests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Any interest in sport? Thomond Park would be a good visit regardless of your interest, I went years ago and the museum and tour guide were great. You could go to Bunratty Castle which isn't far outside of Limerick in Clare. King John's Castle as well. The Cornmarket is great on a Saturday morning to get some nice food and walk around.
    You could always go shopping, the Crescent in Dooradoyle is honestly one of the best shopping centres in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Any interest in sport? Thomond Park would be a good visit regardless of your interest, I went years ago and the museum and tour guide were great. You could go to Bunratty Castle which isn't far outside of Limerick in Clare. King John's Castle as well. The Cornmarket is great on a Saturday morning to get some nice food and walk around.
    You could always go shopping, the Crescent in Dooradoyle is honestly one of the best shopping centres in Ireland.

It's the Milk Market! I think the Cornmarket is a pub.

There's a couple of companies doing city kayak tours. Both Nevsail and Get West do them I think.

There's a heap of pretty good historical stuff, if you guys are into that. King John's Castle, The Hunt Museum in particular. The Hunt is great for art exhibitions and they often do free midweek concerts and talks too. I'd recommend a visit to St. Mary's Cathedral. It's not really geared for tourists but it's a fantastic building with incredible history. There's often lunchtime concerts on there as well.

Limerick City Art Gallery is in The People's Park. Not everybody's cup of tea but interesting enough. The Park itself is a really nice place to hang out on a warm day.

The Council have a website which isn't great but you might see more stuff listed on that - http://www.limerick.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

zulutango wrote: »

There's a couple of companies doing city kayak tours. Both Nevsail and Get West do them I think.

There's a heap of pretty good historical stuff, if you guys are into that. King John's Castle, The Hunt Museum in particular. The Hunt is great for art exhibitions and they often do free midweek concerts and talks too. I'd recommend a visit to St. Mary's Cathedral. It's not really geared for tourists but it's a fantastic building with incredible history. There's often lunchtime concerts on there as well.

Limerick City Art Gallery is in The People's Park. Not everybody's cup of tea but interesting enough. The Park itself is a really nice place to hang out on a warm day

The Council have a website which isn't great but you might see more stuff listed on that - http://www.limerick.ie/

thanks a million, i'll look into those things. the kayaking seems cool. Ive been to king john's castle as a youngster. i think we'll have more than enough to keep us going for two days :)

Can you recommend any pubs? somewhere you'd get a great pint of beamish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

lufties wrote: »
    thanks a million, i'll look into those things. the kayaking seems cool. Ive been to king john's castle as a youngster. i think we'll have more than enough to keep us going for two days :)

Can you recommend any pubs? somewhere you'd get a great pint of beamish?

Not sure about the Beamish but Myles Breen's have the best Guinness

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Not sure about the Beamish but Myles Breen's have the best Guinness

i heard flannerys does a good pint too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

i heard flannerys does a good pint too

Which one!? I think there's five of them. There's two on Denmark Street, both a bit thrashy in my opinion. Jerry Flannery's on Catherine Street is a decent enough spot. Flannery's on Shannon Street is a good 'local' type bar, as is Phil Flannery's on Wickham Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I knew it was was wrong the second I typed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

t Ive been to king john's castle as a youngster.

THey have completely changed it in the last couple of years! Done a right good job of it compared to how it was.

Which one!? I think there's five of them. There's two on Denmark Street, both a bit thrashy in my opinion. Jerry Flannery's on Catherine Street is a decent enough spot. Flannery's on Shannon Street is a good 'local' type bar, as is Phil Flannery's on Wickham Street.

i was thinking michael flannerys, its got good ratings, theres a bigger flannerys beside it, whats the story with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's all the one pub, they just turned a section of the smoking area into an old man style pub a couple of years ago when that was the trendy thing. It's a nice spot. Lovely smoking area upstairs too!

It's all the one pub, they just turned a section of the smoking area into an old man style pub a couple of years ago when that was the trendy thing. It's a nice spot. Lovely smoking area upstairs too!

i see what you mean, i hate smoking areas tbh. will prob just do myles breen and nancy blakes. is there any good clubs? other than that kip icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

i hate smoking areas tbh. will prob just do myles breen and nancy blakes.

If you hate smoking areas, stick to Myles's! The latter is just one large ashtray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i see what you mean, i hate smoking areas tbh. will prob just do myles breen and nancy blakes. is there any good clubs? other than that kip icon.

What age are you both? Nightclubs have died a death in Limerick since the end of boom. If your over 25 then there is not much unless your into the alternative music of Costello's.

bazz26 wrote: »
    What age are you both? Nightclubs have died a death in Limerick since the end of boom. If your over 25 then there is not much unless your into the alternative music of Costello's.

we're both 33, i was in costellos years ago, its pretty good. trinity rooms/docs was good in its day for sure, pity it closed.

If you hate smoking areas, stick to Myles's! The latter is just one large ashtray

thanks for the heads up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭MrLaurel

i was thinking michael flannerys, its got good ratings, theres a bigger flannerys beside it, whats the story with that?

+1 on Michael Flannerys. Beautiful bar. Massive range of Irish Whiskies, I think the largest collection outside Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Beamish, I'd a couple of beautiful pints of the stuff plus the best Fish'nChips anywhere in Bobby Byrnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Beamish, I'd a couple of beautiful pints of the stuff plus the best Fish'nChips anywhere in Bobby Byrnes.

Myles has one of the best pints of Beamish anywhere, including Cork City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Myles has one of the best pints of Beamish anywhere, including Cork City.

Well I'm a Dub and its next to impossible to find it local to me, pity because I always enjoy a few Beamish.

Unfortunately I don't get down to Limerick often enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Well I'm a Dub and its next to impossible to find it local to me, pity because I always enjoy a few Beamish.

Unfortunately I don't get down to Limerick often enough.

I don't think you'll have any problems getting Beamish in the vast majority of pubs in Limerick city. Murphy's which was widespread years ago has completely disappeared.

Advertisement