Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing old Sky Box phone line

Options
  • 16-08-2015 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm in the right place for this question!

We have two phone line/boxes in our hall by the front door. One is an old Telecom Eireann phone box/jack supplying our phone and broadband, and there is a cable coming out of this box which goes all the way around the door to another small white box (no jack/no Éircom branding). Then, another cable comes out of this box and goes into the sitting room to the Sky box.

I'm assuming that the Telecom Eireann box is the main line into the house, so will it do any harm if I remove the cable from around the door and cut it near the second box?

Apologies if I've rambled a bit but having a new door fitted tomorrow and forgot all about the cable, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Call eircom, register a fault, tell them that your broadband cuts out when you make a call. They'll send a tech who will fit a new master socket. Ask him to disable the other cables

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Call eircom, register a fault, tell them that your broadband cuts out when you make a call. They'll send a tech who will fit a new master socket. Ask him to disable the other cables

Nice idea, but broadband and phone is with Sky, not Eircom, so I'd probably be charged. Will be a last resort, but thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They'd potentially hit them with €150 worth of a callout charge for third party equipment causing the fault. Not a great plan.

OP, that phone is there if you have Multiroom. Sky get pissy if its removed. If you no longer have multiroom them just go ahead and remove it, its just a phone extension. If you do have multiroom you need to have a chat with sky.

Thanks for the advice. Don't have multi room so we'll cut the wire and take the box out. Cue tantrums if it doesn't work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you cut it, strip the end and tape the cores apart so they cant touch and short your line out. If possible take it off the terminals instead of cutting.

• Advertisement

Okaay, I'm sure what you're saying will make sense once I have a closer look at the box. I was originally thinking of unstapling the cable from around the door and rolling it up until I can get someone qualified to take a look at it. Then removing the unwanted extension box - the men fitting the new door say it has to be removed. I hope that will work and thanks again for your help!

Advertisement