Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasabi plants?

Options
  • 16-08-2015 7:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Anyone ever seen wasabi plants for sale? Potted, a few of them in a tray would be great. I'm in Dublin if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

From what I gather they are very difficult to grow, thus the high price of 'real wasabi' in Japan. What we get as wwasabi is dyed horseradish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

But, only wasabi hits you in the nose; horseradish doesn't do this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wasabi is extremely hard to grow, and only grows in running water. you will not find it for sale in ireland; there's no market for it, and the japanese have been extremely defensive of their near monopoly for many years.

the chances of anything marked (in ireland) as being wasabi *actually* being wasabi are slim.

That's interesting, how they grow. Never did see them potted while I lived over in Japan, that explains it.

Any wasabi I've had here is definitely wasabi though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

almost certainly not. the vast majority of what is sold as wasabi in ireland is a mixture of horseradish, mustard and dye.
    The first thing to know about wasabi - or Wasabia japonica, as it's officially known - is that you have probably never tried the real thing.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-29082091

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Hi, I registered at least a couple of months ago, read all the terms &conditions etc and I'm pretty certain I have already commented on posts, I don't know why I am getting this message now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

almost certainly not. the vast majority of what is sold as wasabi in ireland is a mixture of horseradish, mustard and dye.[/url]

This is absolutely true; in a pinch I've mixed up a batch myself.

Hi, I registered at least a couple of months ago, read all the terms &conditions etc and I'm pretty certain I have already commented on posts, I don't know why I am getting this message now.
    that you thought the wasabi you were eating was the real deal?

There's plenty of wasabi kicking around Dublin and elsewhere. If it hits you in the nose its wasabi not horseradish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

http://www.thewasabicompany.co.uk/buy/plants/young-wasabi-plant

Delivery within the EU/Ireland is quite expensive though.

• Advertisement

Yi Harr wrote: »
    http://www.thewasabicompany.co.uk/buy/plants/young-wasabi-plant

Delivery within the EU/Ireland is quite expensive though.

Awesome! Muchos gracias!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Wright wrote: »
    There's plenty of wasabi kicking around Dublin and elsewhere. If it hits you in the nose its wasabi not horseradish.

.... but mustard has the same effect, that's why it's in almost all of the 'wasabi' product available outside of Japan. Mind you, some have a teeny tiny bit of actual wasabi in them so that they can call them a wasabi product.

exactly. go eat a teaspoon of english mustard and you'll get it in the nose.

lk67 wrote: »
    .... but mustard has the same effect, that's why it's in almost all of the 'wasabi' product available outside of Japan. Mind you, some have a teeny tiny bit of actual wasabi in them so that they can call them a wasabi product.

Huh. Mustard has never hit me in the nose in my life. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Wright wrote: »
    Huh. Mustard has never hit me in the nose in my life. Weird.

I think you've been trying the wrong mustards!

:D

It's even an old cure for sinus problems and colds.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

No. When I clicked on this thread there was a message at the top saying that as a newbie I had to read the rules and if I was from the media I had to go to a different forum etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

lk67 wrote: »

Yep, most of the stuff outside Japan is a mix of horseradish, mustard, and dye.

Advertisement