Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabra (to buy)

Options
  • 16-08-2015 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

I'm currently looking to buy and Cabra suits my budget. A two bed house, garden, room for a shed, buses, new Luas potential and possibility of an extension. Cabra ticks boxes for sure.

Ive been living in Dublin 14 years now (Santry to Smithfield to Stoneybatter which I love but cottages are too small to buy).

I took a long walk around Cabra (mostly West) this evening and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend any quieter streets? I'll be avoiding the school area at all costs and west Fassaugh road I think (that pub!).

Carnlough Road, Quarry Road, Aranmore Road stood out for me while Fassaugh road and north east of it to the old train station wasn't particularly welcoming on my walk (around 9:30pm Sunday). No abuse, just some of boy racers, litter in unkept front gardens and kids loitering on the road.

Thoughts or advice much appreciated from locals in the area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TearFairy

My friend lives on Carnlough Rd, he has a pain of a neighbour on one side but generally likes the area. They are council houses and more and more seem to be selling and there seems to be younger families moving in. I do be there often enough and have never seen any problems in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Thanks so much for the reply! I'll probably do a viewing up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I have bought in Cabra and I like it so far. Maple shopping centre nearby. As many buses in to town as you could want. I even walk it sometimes as it's only thirty minutes.

Neighbours are grand and will chat to you as they are all curious but will leave you alone for the most part.

No real local pub where I'm at but I walk to The Hole In The Wall if I fancy a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Almost bought in Cabra, lived quite near for years.

Ended up with quite a lot more house, quiter area (although not perfect same littler issues) but with lovely neighbours, more defined community centre (pub shops) and easier access to town via DART in Kilbarrack.

Just proposing the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 No bias or BS

As mentioned in a another post ive lived here for DECADES!! and its fine. if you want tranquility its SIMPLE!! enough. dont let one walk on sunday ruin a chance to cash in on house prices i personally believe are low from fear of hear say (and media BS) . i lived here decades, never burgled, vandalised, in fight with a local etc etc. like any area ive met the odd local dickhead, cest la vie'. boy racers on bikes are most often on their way out of the area to wasteland off the area etc. as for cars, same as many places , some roads are quite some have kids hanging about! thats not strange. when youre here a while youll make your own routes, shops to use and pubs to drink. 1 has closed, 1 is a total dump, 1 is letting itself go, 1 other is neutral old style etc, 2 others are great and well ran all round.as for litter in gardens, this happens all over dublin and counties where the council dont bother their backside to warn the tenants they often "Gave" the house to. their own rules state its the occupiers duty to keep it clean. the area also has good shops ,especially the huge tesco with its rain sheltered car park and great staff, plenty of local clubs for youths and facilities here and there. Inspire fitness is also here, the LUAS will soon be, the industrial estate next to it has loads, i also would not be surprised if in the future a station gets added to the Kildare/connolly line in cabra there is ample space for it even after the proposed apartments go up. its a 10 minute cycle from town or an easy walk, its a real good hub,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Fada70

I viewed the house on Cabra Drive and was surprised by its size - it looks much bigger.
    I am looking for a home for the past three years and I am getting tired with dealing with EAs, bidding, research, renewing mortgage approvals, etc.
    This house seems to tick all my boxes, but the price seems v high for a house of 84m2 with a narrow skewed garden.
    I viewed the house in Quarry Rd and it seems much better value (1/2 price for roughly the same area and much better garden).
    Could you advise please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Trade Dublin 7 for Dublin 5. I did, very happy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Don't forget that there are flood areas in Cabra too.

Leix, Cuala, Imall, Cabra, Offaly Roads

http://www.cieranperry.ie/FloodingMar14.html

It may not effect where you are buying, keep in mind though

Thank you kindly for prompt responses.
    I work in D8 and depend on public transport (can't cycle, have no car), and D7 seems the closest area (route 122) within my budget :/.
    I do remember floodings, but I talked with neighbors on both roads, and was assured that neither house was affected (thank you for the link - pity no long-term action was taken to prevent future flooding).

Would anyone know the actual prices of similar properties at the peak of the property boom. I found a thread on the propertypin indicating v high asking prices, but none of these houses sold. So, I am wondering what was the highest price actually achieved on Cabra Drive/ Quarry road?

I was told I need at least 50K to put in the Cabra Drive house. This would bring the price over 400K mark. Which will definitely break the price ceiling of the road (most expensive house (sold in the past 10 years) was less than 390K and it is 2x larger and new built).

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date?SearchView&Start=1&SearchMax=0&SearchOrder=4&Query=%5Baddress%5D=*cabra*%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=%22Dublin%22&County=Dublin&Year=&StartMonth=&EndMonth=&Address=cabra

Have a look at the property register, although this only goes back to 2010

The deciding factor for alot of first time buyers was the stamp duty cut off rates.

I would guess alot of the 3 bed houses would of been at the €317,000 mark at most, howvever we dont have any evidence of this.

Rates of stamp duty before 5 December 2007
    Property value Rate
    Up to €127,000 Exempt
    €127,001 - €190,500 - 3%
    €190,501 - €254,000 - 4%
    €254,001 - €317,500 - 5%
    €317,501 - €381,000 - 6%
    €381,001 - €635,000 - 7.5%
    Over €635,000 - 9%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

James 007 wrote: »
    Don't forget that there are flood areas in Cabra too.

Leix, Cuala, Imall, Cabra, Offaly Roads

http://www.cieranperry.ie/FloodingMar14.html

It may not effect where you are buying, keep in mind though

The houses on Imaal have never been flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭allybabe84

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in, I lived in Cabra West for most of my life, 26 years in the same house on Inver Road (I'm 32 now), and I have to say you couldn't pay me to live there again. I hated going outside my front door as a kid, in fact I think it turned me into a bit of a recluse! Having my car broken into in 2010 was the last straw and I moved out to Co. Kildare with my boyfriend and I'm so much happier now.
    My mum is still there in Cabra and I visit her every Sunday. I see the odd boy racer but that's about it. In the boom our next door neighbour got €400,000 for her house, so they are worth investing in if you buy cheap.
    I hope that if you do move to the Quarry Road area you will be happy, I just think looking back that Inver was too close to the awful pubs and shops and drunks as they would pass my house on their home.

Thank you very much for useful comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't buy beyond the statue on quarry Rd or around attracts Rd.
    The rest is fine. Parts of leix and Cuala had houses flooded but there has been ongoing work in the area.

Hi , there are plenty of good roads here, the "inver" road area as such can be subject to a lot of pedestrian traffic because it leads to a main road with shops etc and at night that basically that 1 "particular" pub. be patient , something good will pop up. whats your budget and layout requirements etc? as for prices, just before the boom mine was 270k i got for 240k , at the boom a neighbours in far worse condition got valued at 350k, they are 99.99999999% floodproof. and my own garden is over 100 foot so plenty of space to even double the house size. moving out of dublin is fine if you dont work in dublin, if you do it can cost a lot of time and even with a frugal car ,money. cabra to dublin 8 isnt too far so its a shame no bike especially

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Interesting thread

Cabra as a lot going for it but I will say this:

Its an area where a lot depends on what street you are on. If you are looking at buying there, you need to have a good long look at who your neighbours are and what the traffic is like.

With regard to the latter - one of the nice things about Cabra can be the street life - terraced houses, easy to meet your neighbours. But if cars are flying up and down the whole time, you lose that.

The streets I would particularly recommend are Leix, Fertullagh, Offaly, Galmoy, the little Annaly cul de sac and Newgrange.

I was told I need at least 50K to put in the Cabra Drive house. This would bring the price over 400K mark. Which will definitely break the price ceiling of the road (most expensive house (sold in the past 10 years) was less than 390K and it is 2x larger and new built).[/QUOTE]

PS keep looking or wait a little, in regards of that amount etc. one went on bannow road lower half which is fine not so long ago. sherry fitz sold it for 350k it was a 3 Bed + 3 Bath house with huge nice kitchen extension and a large rear garden, enough to double that house and still have a garden etc. it also needed nothing!! spent on it. proof of that was a week after sale there were students moved in,which as ive mentioned before was a "Landlord" cashing in on the areas prices, with grangegorman only getting started on its 20,000+ students capacity, properties around will pull in rent for decades and decades to come,

Above roads mentioned are nice but research them as they are all in cabra east , one of my own relatives got flooded on one of those roads, plenty of councilors like mary fitzpatrick had to get involved etc etc. and unfortunately our weather has plenty of nasty surprises always at the ready, rural areas in ireland really got it bad before xmas, but many almost everywhere are vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fair point.

Not all of these roads flood.

The other issue is that my understanding is that the council has done work on the underground streams that has potentially addressed the flooding issue.

Certainly, I don't think there was flooding this year despite fairly heavy rainfall.

Obviously, this is information you are reading on an internet forum and may not be correct or reliable.

I'll repeat that, this is information you are reading on an internet forum and may not be correct or reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Cabra East has a lot going for it in terms of proximity to phibsborough with more shops, supermarket etc, proximity to town, Luas, decent bus routes. The above roads are pretty quiet though parking can be a big issue especially on Leix road as people use it to park when going to the shops.
    The flooding is definitely something to be wary of though. obviously it affects houses differently with some gardens flooding but not entering the house and other houses on the same road being destroyed. I'd be wary of works done until more time passes and the lasting effects are known.

• Advertisement

Yeah both cabra east and cabra west have a lot going for them. and certainly better value than a lot of others near enough that are smoggy, congested , dark and devoid of any regular community etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NIGEL89

Hi I'm new to boards and was hoping someone could give me a good insight into Cabra, and what it is like to live there particularly Park View where myself and my fiancée have seen a really nice house thiat we would be interested in buying.

The house is in Park View and it's my understanding that possibly the local estates are prone to trouble? Is there anybody in this area that can advise on whether buying a house in Park View would be a good idea and if it would be a safe place to live?

Also would there be anything we would need to look out for, example is there much anti social behaviour in this area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

NIGEL89 wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to boards and was hoping someone could give me a good insight into Cabra, and what it is like to live there particularly Park View where myself and my fiancée have seen a really nice house thiat we would be interested in buying.

The house is in Park View and it's my understanding that possibly the local estates are prone to trouble? Is there anybody in this area that can advise on whether buying a house in Park View would be a good idea and if it would be a safe place to live?

Also would there be anything we would need to look out for, example is there much anti social behaviour in this area?

It's very near Dunard etc, not the best area over the years but may be better now? Personally i wouldn't consider it myself.
    Calling this Cabra is questionnable, i wouldn't really class it as Cabra, a somewhat newer estate built in the 80's ( i think) - looks like they gave it a Cabra postcode. Back in the 80's Cabra was ok but a lot tougher with some anti social activity......you also had Cabra west which was a bit of a kip and still is but a lot better these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NIGEL89

It's very near Dunard etc, not the best area over the years but may be better now? Personally i wouldn't consider it myself.
    Calling this Cabra is questionnable, i wouldn't really class it as Cabra, a somewhat newer estate built in the 80's ( i think) - looks like they gave it a Cabra postcode. Back in the 80's Cabra was ok but a lot tougher with some anti social activity......you also had Cabra west which was a bit of a kip and still is but a lot better these days.

Thanks for the response back. Are you saying you wouldn't consider the area being bad or buying a house there?

Does there be much anti social activity in the green area as you come into the park at Dungard Road and is it normally teenagers just hanging around?

Do you know if there has been any trouble in recent years that we would need to be concerned about?

Personally we really like the house itself, very modern inside, it's just the area that the house is located in that would are making us wonder whether or not we should buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

NIGEL89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response back. Are you saying you wouldn't consider the area being bad or buying a house there?

Does there be much anti social activity in the green area as you come into the park at Dungard Road and is it normally teenagers just hanging around?

Do you know if there has been any trouble in recent years that we would need to be concerned about?

Personally we really like the house itself, very modern inside, it's just the area that the house is located in that would are making us wonder whether or not we should buy.

I mean i wouldn't buy there. do you have kids or plan too? Do youintend to stay or move on in the future? If your staying and have kids there, is it a good place for them to grow up? Key questions you need to consider...best of luck

Advertisement