Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Arytonblue

I just hope BOD, POC, ROG and the boys give it welly, do the Emerald Isle proud I say and bring home the cup so the whole nation can celebrate in the glory and euphoria of winning something on an international level for once. Go Éire I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

A good showing at this World Cup will see rugby football cement it's position as one of Ireland's three national sports, along with hurling and Gaelic football.

The Irish XV are already the de facto national team, with huge support all across the island.

As soccer in Ireland limps from crisis to crisis, rugby football continues to grow and grow.

The rugby football team is ranked the second best team in the world. The soccer team is ranked the second best team on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

BOD and ROG are retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I don't get this petty sporting tribalistic nonsense and rivalry between some sports. There are many sports I don't have much interest in, but I'll always want to see an Irish team or individual being successful in their chosen field.

Too right. Amazing how a Irish sporting achievement in any code can lift the nation. Can't stand narrow minded people who don't want us to do well in various sports because of their ill judged stereotypes.

Not a rugby fan by any stretch but I will hop on the bandwagon. C'mon Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I genuinely couldn't give two ****s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Regardless of whether its of interest to some people or not everyone should want Ireland to do well. Each to their own but the lift to the spirit that a strong Irish performance would provide should never be underestimated. In 2009 when each news bulletin was about the country been led to the brink of bankruptcy, grim unemployment figures, mass emigration etc. the lift that the Irish Grand Slam gave to so many people (if only for a few hours or days) was inspiring. People who I know normally have no interest in rugby were wild with excitement and basked in the glow of it in the days that followed as it was a distraction from the depression we were going through.

I understand people who don't like the sport just wanting it to be over and even as a rugby supporter the mass coverage can sometimes be a bit much to handle but I always find if you want to avoid these things you can. I feel similarly about Cheltenham when it comes around but I appreciate any success we have at the festival as it gives a boost to the country as a whole both in economic and non-economic terms.

Of course you'll always an element of the poor mouth Irish nonsense of being able to gloat about being right if things go pear shaped. Unfortunately that's bred into us I think. I don't think many think we'll win the tournament but semi-final is a realistic goal I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

The problem with rugby is that realistically their are really only 7/8 nations and the rest are so far behind the rest.

Scotland and Italy prettyuch make up the numbers, in both club and international scene at the minute.

Fiji, Samoa, Tonga look good at sevens but 15 a side a good bit behind the rest...

And its been the same for so so long, with Ireland, Wales and Scotland being interchangeable in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

People are being very optimistic if not overly optimistic about how Ireland will fare in the Rugby World Cup this year, but I get the sense that some people want them to fail.
    I honestly think that there are some that want them to do badly just so they can say "Didn't I tell ya Ireland would go nowhere, they're useless sure!".
    What do ye think?

Yes, fortune tellers, soothsayers and prophets will be saying " I told you so." It's good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Of course you'll always an element of the poor mouth Irish nonsense of being able to gloat about being right if things go pear shaped. Unfortunately that's bred into us I think.

It's a defence mechanism imo. A way to absorb the kind of sporting disappointments we're normally used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Seen as this thread is full of crazy comments, here another:

If we do win the RWC it won't be that satisfying because the team is diluted with unionists from a different country.

We should break it up and have a proper Irish team, under the Tricolour and under our one true national anthem.

I'm welling up just thing about it..."Sheen na feena foil..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some people are just waiting for an excuse to bitch. For instance tonight down in my local Bubbles O'Dwyer was getting torn into from the drunken men who arrived down on the bus from Croke Park, bubbles didn't click today and had an off game but they make it sound like the fella can't hurl at all. Every Tipp forward apart from Seamy Callanan was trashed. 'Fcuking useless' the phrase which rang out many times during the Sunday Game highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The real world cup at last, not some overpaid pansies falling over themselves to see who can cheat the most out of referees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

diomed wrote: »
    Not the real World Cup.

When/what is the real rugby world cup then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Billy86 wrote: »
    The Rugby League WC in 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Billy86 wrote: »

He's probably talking about the fakeball / tripball worldcup. Its a sport that TV companies own.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,384 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Big rugby fan I hope we do well but finish 2nd in the group its the all blacks in the quarters

Not a big soccer fan but wud watch it if it was on

Hurling, Gaelic football and darts are other favourites of mine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Anyone who's got an interest in the sport would be on the wagon if we got to a ****ing world cup final (never mind actually won it) or they're talking out of their arse. It'd be the biggest thing to happen in Irish sport to date, by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

The real world cup at last, not some overpaid pansies falling over themselves to see who can cheat the most out of referees.

You mean the one half the world won't know is even on? The one that will be watched by a tiny fraction of people in comparison to the actual World Cup - ya know the one whereby every team (bar the hosts) has to qualify? The one that's an actual competition?

Ah bless you and your mini World Cup.

Slag soccer all you like, but you must know rugby is not and never will be as popular? So sentences like the above just make you look rather foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Big rugby fan I hope we do well but finish 2nd in the group its the all blacks in the quarters

Not a big soccer fan but wud watch it if it was on

Hurling, Gaelic football and darts are other favourites of mine

What??? That's crazy talk. They need to win their group. I have tickets for both quarter finals (for Ireland's group) and as much as I would love to see Ireland play New Zealand I would give that up so they could avoid that game until later.

By the way, to whoever said Australia would beat Ireland in a World Cup, yeah, anything is possible in a World Cup, but the last time they met in a World Cup Ireland won.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

every single ruck in rugby is about cheating the most out of referees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Can we not like rugby and soccer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

diomed wrote: »
    Not the real World Cup.

The only world cup we stand a chance of qualifying let alone winning. (In the current timeframe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No. That's against boards rules

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Love rugby and I'm far from a posh prat I'm not stuck in one sport I follow rugby gaa (hurling yesterday was unreal) soccer mma darts il nearly watch anyting you will always in every sport get somebody who just seems to feel the need to run any team down o they are useless when the win the didn't deserve it and they lose see I told you so

I hope Ireland do really well people saying oh they won't beat Australia oh they won't beat South Africa well they have done it before! And of course they can

Can they beat the all blacks...... Well that will be difficult but can they yes it could happen before people jump down my neck I do doubt it and I think the all blacks will win the World Cup but sure you got to believe they can what's the point in supporting a team if you think they are useless and won't win

Like yesterday nobody gave Galway a chance against tipp but who won?
    Now you have lads giving out saying Galway shouldn't be in the final that kk have it won sure that's bullsh1t if that's the case sure just pick the 2 "best" team in any sport and let them play each other and forget the rest of the teams coz it's a waste of time

So Ireland vs all blacks World Cup final Ireland win by one point with last minute try by Paul o Connell :) you heard it here first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

What's with the popularity of darts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Darts is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rugby's a great sport especially at international level. Every game is very important unlike International Soccer which is very boring in my opinion.

Looking forward to Tonga-Georgia, Tonga-Namibia and Namibia-Georgia are we? :D

Rugby is full of contradictions: possession is so important that you'd rake a guy's head to get the ball, but then your out-half kicks the ball straight back to the opposition.

You have the best runners, the fastest guys but avoid throwing them the ball.

Forward passes are illegal, except when you're running fast.

You're supposed to release the ball when on the ground yet you see guys trying to crawl over the try line on their hands and knees.

The WC will have dozens of matches but will hinge on about three or four, tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

efb wrote: »
    What's with the popularity of darts?

It's a brilliant sport that anyone can watch or play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I dont think the people claiming one or the other have the ability to like multiple things at once. Liking two separate sports would require a higher level of concentration & intelligence than what we are dealing with. If you dont look down om one sport then where can you show your amazing wit and harvest the "thanks"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Isn't there a no sports rule on After Hours?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement