Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Irish Rugby Team = English Football Team.....

in the sense that every World Cup the media/nation hypes them up to do well but every time they end up going out with a whimper!

Won't be watching any of the games, rugby is not my thing, watched more rugby when I was younger when we were pretty poor and Simon Geoghegan was the BOD of his era!

Be great for the country if they do well but I won't be hopping on any bandwagon, find the sport a bit boring if I'm honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

. Every game is very important unlike International Soccer which is very boring in my opinion.

They call them "tests" but they're not important. Was the recent wales and Scotland games important? Autumn games aren't either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Won't be watching, can't stick the game, but would be happy enough for anyone to win, including Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

I hope that team fails miserably. Its a disgrace that they can go on the world stage and call themselves ireland they are an embaressment to my country and unfortunatly the whole world will see it now. If they are gonna masquerade as "ireland" then they should sing my national anthem with pride., until then i think there should actually be a legal challange to them calling themselves ireland. Disgusting and embarressing in front of the whole world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

My experience of this forum (and the internet in general) is that there are far more people who seem to have an issue with the GAA and are intent on getting a cut at it at every oppurtunity rather than GAA fans having any issues with other sports.

There is no real competition between GAA and rugby for viewers. Except for this year rugby is a autumn, winter and spring sport. GAA's main competition is in the summer.

No it's a class based thing ( as is clear from the comments) with most of the dislike for rugby in Dublin as rugby is less class defined elsewhere.

Generally there's a class of people who only like soccer, not GAA, rugby or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

I hope that team fails miserably. Its a disgrace that they can go on the world stage and call themselves ireland they are an embaressment to my country and unfortunatly the whole world will see it now. If they are gonna masquerade as "ireland" then they should sing my national anthem with pride., until then i think there should actually be a legal challange to them calling themselves ireland. Disgusting and embarressing in front of the whole world

Here we go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

There is no real competition between GAA and rugby for viewers. Except for this year rugby is a autumn, winter and spring sport. GAA's main competition is in the summer.

No it's a class based thing ( as is clear from the comments) with most of the dislike for rugby in Dublin as rugby is less class defined elsewhere.

Generally there's a class of people who only like soccer, not GAA, rugby or anything else.

#canofworms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Tigerbaby wrote: »
    GH0st

I love Football ( as in the World Sport ), Hurling, and Crown Bowls in that order. I regard any "football" game that uses the hands as being false.

I find rugby to be a bit inbred and incestuous. I detest Gaelic Football as it stands. I find the only difference in the two Sports being the shape of the ball. They are basically handball. The hands imply possession and that negates any possible excitement for me.

Good luck to ye anyway, I hope it goes well for ye. But I *wont* be cheering.

It's "ye" for Ireland but no doubt "we" for an English club team you have no connection to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Haha ha

This is one of the funniest parodies of an ignorant sectarian muck savage that I've seen in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

People are being very optimistic if not overly optimistic about how Ireland will fare in the Rugby World Cup this year, but I get the sense that some people want them to fail.
    I honestly think that there are some that want them to do badly just so they can say "Didn't I tell ya Ireland would go nowhere, they're useless sure!".
    What do ye think?

I wouldn't say I want them to do badly, but I have zero interest in Rugby so couldn't give a shyte if they do badly or win it.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    Haha ha

This is one of the funniest parodies of an ignorant sectarian muck savage that I've seen in ages.

Sectarian??? Explain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Sectarian??? Explain please?

Well you are going to be a great case study that'll prove my intelligence point.

Well you are going to be a great case study that'll prove my intelligence point.

How was my post sectarian? if you are going to make smart ass comments at least have the decency to back them up. The title of the thread is do some people want to see ireland do badly in the world cup? I am one of the people that do and i explained why? So whats with the insults?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Careful droidman.... You don't want to scare pmasterson away. You've nearly got him hooked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Sure look you sit at home eating yourself while the rest of us enjoy ourselves watching the rugby
    While I do agree I'd like Amhrán na bhFiann to be sung aswell i will manage to get over it and support the IRISH team

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

People are being very optimistic if not overly optimistic about how Ireland will fare in the Rugby World Cup this year, but I get the sense that some people want them to fail.
    I honestly think that there are some that want them to do badly just so they can say "Didn't I tell ya Ireland would go nowhere, they're useless sure!".
    What do ye think?

I propose we draft our own Patriot Act and have it address these deviants in an even to heavy-handed manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

only 10 or 11 countries play the game, so surely they have some chance. Personally, I couldn't give a fiddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ruggers, a sport for posh bell ends.

Can we put this myth to bed eh. They are certainly not all posh, or bell ends for that matter.

Posh bell ends??? - Sean O'Brien, a bogman farmer (and I mean that as a compliment) is the complete opposite of posh. Same for a lot of other players too.

Yes, there are a few guys from wealthy backgrounds who play rugby. Should they have to apologise for that?

Everybody who plays for Ireland has earned that position through blood, sweat, tears, pain and sacrifice.

Posh or not, they deserve credit for making it to the top.

BattleCorp wrote: »

Everybody who plays for Ireland has earned that position through blood, sweat, tears, pain and sacrifice..
    And goofballs. Don't forget the goofballs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gotta love the bitter die hard football fans who refuse to acknowledge the merit of any other sports being pissed the Irish football team will never have a chance like the rugby team do this September

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Gotta love the bitter die hard football fans who refuse to acknowledge the merit of any other sports being pissed the Irish football team will never have a chance like the rugby team do this September

That's because it's played by every country, not 8.

Not that in itself that's a bad thing, cricket is not played in many countries but we've gone to that World Cup and over performed against far stronger teams. In rugby, we have flopped against weaker sides, barring a group win v Australia in the last World Cup. Wales and Scotland have done much better than us.

Remember the time the 15 lads who play rugby in Georgia put Ireland to the sword?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I grew up in the northsude supporting Ireland in soccer and Man U . My dad took me to Irish games. Still support Ireland but the English club fanatics leave me cold. It's a childish fixation, like trading cards and reading children's books. So I stopped. Adults who are into club soccer are total bores. It's all they talk about.

I've always watched the 6N and will love to see Ireland do well in rugby, as in all sports. The WC should be great for us.

You are spot on there, Eugene. Grown adults with big beer bellies wearing soccer jerseys, talking about 'us' and 'we' as if they are part of the club, shouting at a telly in a pub, teams complied of players from all over the world, players pretending that they care about the club and the 'supporters'.....

Anyone above the age of 14 buying into that is a moron.

Weren't many rugby fans around when the football team was doing well in late 80's/early 90's and the rugby team were wooden spoon material in every 5 Nations!

Tis all cycles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The only reason we do well at Rugby is because feck all nations play it. It's not a real sport like football which is played the world over.

That's because it's played by every country, not 8.

Not that in itself that's a bad thing, cricket is not played in many countries but we've gone to that World Cup and over performed against far stronger teams. In rugby, we have flopped against weaker sides, barring a group win v Australia in the last World Cup. Wales and Scotland have done much better than us.

So because it's a minority sport, which compared to football pretty much every sport is, the team don't deserve national support?

Oh yeah much better to support foreign club sides people have zero connection to.

The only reason we do well at Rugby is because feck all nations play it. It's not a real sport like football which is played the world over.

I am far from a rugby fan but not sure how you can say it's not a real sport? And it is played the world over, just a lot of weaker nations at the moment!

Oh yeah much better to support foreign club sides people have zero connection to.
    Much of a muchness.
    The D4 crowd are as foreign to me as any part of England.

Classic stuff so by your definition the only "real" sport in the world is football cus there is no other played and watched by such a large number.

• Advertisement

Much of a muchness.
    The D4 crowd are as foreign to me as any part of England.

I didn't know all of Munster ulster and connaughts fans were from dublin, that's a fascinating take on geography

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement