Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options

Comments

VinLieger wrote: »
    So because it's a minority sport, which compared to football pretty much every sport is, the team don't deserve national support?

Oh yeah much better to support foreign club sides people have zero connection to.

I said none of those things.

In fact I recall it was you who made the assertion, that Irish football fans followed a team that has "no chance" and were bitter. I merely pointed out why it's trickier to succeed in those world cups.

Incidentally, you do know the Irish football team is not a "foreign club side", don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,165 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

diomed wrote: »
    Not the real World Cup.

There is at most 7 teams in the Rugby Union world, they rest are there to make up the numbers.

Those 7 are New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Ireland, England, Wales and France.

Scotland have drop down to 2nd level along with Italy and Argentina.

The rest just really make up the numbers.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

I hope that team fails miserably. Its a disgrace that they can go on the world stage and call themselves ireland they are an embaressment to my country and unfortunatly the whole world will see it now. If they are gonna masquerade as "ireland" then they should sing my national anthem with pride., until then i think there should actually be a legal challange to them calling themselves ireland. Disgusting and embarressing in front of the whole world

This argument is actually too stupid to argue with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Not into rugby but hope Ireland do well still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

There is at most 7 teams in the Rugby Union world, they rest are there to make up the numbers.

Those 7 are New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Ireland, England, Wales and France.

Argentina beat South Africa two weeks ago.

There's a lot of ill informed people talking sh1t in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I didn't know all of Munster ulster and connaughts fans were from dublin, that's a fascinating take on geography

D4 is a state of mind, not a geographical area. You know the ones. The fake accent gives them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Incidentally, you do know the Irish football team is not a "foreign club side", don't you?

I do actually and when I was working at a promotion to give away free tickets to the Ireland Austria match a couple of years ago, the conversation went something like this.

Me: are you a football fan?
    Them: I am yeah
    Me: we are offering free tickets if you'll answer three quick questions on a video for us
    Them: yeah sure what tickets are they?
    Me: ireland and Austria
    Them: a feck off couldn't be bothered sure I wouldn't even watch it on the telly

That's verbatim and repeated for a large amount of people we met

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tbh the Football World Cup has 32 teams, you could only ever see one of 6 or 7 nations prob winning it, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, Italy and maybe, at a push, Holland!

I do actually and when I was working at a promotion to give away free tickets to the Ireland Austria match a couple of years ago, the conversation went something like this.

Me: are you a football fan?
    Them: I am yeah
    Me: we are offering free tickets if you'll answer three quick questions on a video for us
    Them: yeah sure what tickets are they?
    Me: ireland and Austria
    Them: a feck off couldn't be bothered sure I wouldn't even watch it on the telly

That's verbatim and repeated for a large amount of people we met
    Verbatim? Were they working from a script?

Not into rugby but hope Ireland do well still.

See this is the attitude I would hope everyone has, I just don't understand the people who would wish our country do badly at something just cus it's in something they aren't necessarily a fan of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

If Robbie Keane can do the business, we have a chance!

Ole, ole ole ole...COYBIG!

Verbatim? Were they working from a script?

I know it's the internet and all but I swear I'm not making it up, maybe we somehow hit a minority of people who felt that way but it was still bizarre to see and an attitude I just can't understand.

Myself I'm not a football fan but ipay attention to the national team and more often than not will try to watch when they play and I always hope they do well so I can't understand those who wish a national team in any sport to do badly

Ha! I like the fact that you imagined they all answered in the same way at the same time.

I once met a rugby fan who was unpleasant, and like many he didn't know one iota about the game before Munster and Ireland started winning stuff in the mid 00s.

To borrow a football phrase, are we 1 all on the anecdotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The media are probably alot to blame. The English/British Red Tops are very good at building up the English in World Sporting events, only to destroy them when they got knocked out in the first round. The Irish editions are probably no different.

Personally, I hope and think they will do very well. May not reach the final but expect them to come close.

I know it's the internet and all but I swear I'm not making it up, maybe we somehow hit a minority of people who felt that way but it was still bizarre to see and an attitude I just can't understand.

Myself I'm not a football fan but ipay attention to the national team and more often than not will try to watch when they play and I always hope they do well so I can't understand those who wish a national team in any sport to do badly

where was this?

As previously stated, I don't care how they do. The bullsh*t in the media about warriors and the constant military allegories used wrt rugby eventually grate. And it's inescapable during 6N and world cup.

kfallon wrote: »
    Tbh the Football World Cup has 32 teams, you could only ever see one of 6 or 7 nations prob winning it, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, Italy and maybe, at a push, Holland!

Well to be fair 84 teams went through the qualification process for the Rugby World Cup that does not count the teams who go automatically.

The sport is growing which is good

Football World Cup for 2018 has 208 go through that qualification process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I wont watch it as I just don't like the sport.

I saw another post on here of a guy saying he didnt like it as well. He was asked why. Well i would say to the person Who asked why that you dont have to explain why you dont like something, **** sake

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sectarian??? Explain please?

Because you're so obsessed about what national anthem they sing or don't sing, that you're not prepared to support a team that includes the entire island of Ireland

It's sad and pathetic that people like you call for a united ireland and when there is a united irish sports team, you refuse to support them because they're singing the wrong song.

Nib wrote: »
    Argentina beat South Africa two weeks ago.

There's a lot of ill informed people talking sh1t in this thread.

I know and Argentina also beat Australia last year anything can happen in a one off game but you would mostly say Argentina are a 2nd tier along with Italy and Scotland.

Changing the tri nations to the championship will help them improve much like adding Italy and changing it to the 6 nations have help Italy really improve

I saw another post on here of a guy saying he didnt like it as well. He was asked why. Well i would say to the person Who asked why that you dont have to explain why you dont like something, **** sake

Its a discussion forum if someone posts an opinion anyone is allowed question that opinion and ask for reasons why they hold it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Slightly off topic but when was the last time that Ireland (as a team rather than an Irish individual) actually became world champions in any sport? At a guess I'd say Team Ireland winning the A1GP (Motorsport World Cup) 6 or 7 years ago. But I could be forgetting something obvious!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I want us to win it, I believe we can win it.

Will we? I don't know

But for the first time going into a World Cup, we have a squad, not just a team, we are reigning (back to back) 6 nations champions. We have everything going for us,

The Southern teams ( who are currently knocking 7 shades of shïtë out of each other) are coming to our neck of the woods

I would say that this year represents our best ever chance to win it based on current form etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Slightly off topic but when was the last time that Ireland (as a team rather than an Irish individual) actually became world champions in any sport? At a guess I'd say Team Ireland winning the A1GP (Motorsport World Cup) 6 or 7 years ago. But I could be forgetting something obvious!

Didn't the U20's win their RWC some years back?

Who did Ireland beat in the qualifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Who did Ireland beat in the qualifiers?
    Australia, Italy, USA and Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Same in the FIFA World Cup. Since 1966, only 6 countries have won the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Won't be watching, can't stick the game, but would be happy enough for anyone to win, including Ireland.

Someone is definitely going to win so you can start being happy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I just don't understand the people who would wish our country do badly at something just cus it's in something they aren't necessarily a fan of it
    Yup, bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You don't 'Have' to explain, but it doesn't make the question illegitimate

Usually when someone has formed an opinion about something they have at least some justification for it. I don't really like soccer because I find most of the games to be uneventful and because I get really annoyed at the cheating that is endemic in the sport (diving and trying to get other players sent off is cheating)

This means that I am happy to watch a good soccer match between two attacking teams where the players have integrity and play the ball instead of the referee.

Not liking something for absolutely no good reason is immature and if it means you miss out on experiences that you would otherwise enjoy then you're only fooling yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

You would want to be an awful miserable git not to support your national side. What's not to like about an Irish team winning in any sport. You don't have to be out waving the flag or even tune into the match if your not a fan but why anyone would begrudge them winning is beyond me.

There is no downside to it, the further we go in the tournament the more the local businesses get a boost with people out and about , pubs , taxis , sports shops, restaurants etc. That money gets back into the locality through increased spending elsewhere. More young people get interested in sport, that's never a bad thing.

I can appreciate the saturation coverage of all sport is difficult for those who simply do not like sport at all but in the internet age that's surely a lesser problem than in the past with streaming sites, tablets, smartphones etc you are not confined to just whats on the tv in the home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement