Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some people want to see Ireland do badly at the Rugby World Cup?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Akrasia wrote: »
    Because you're so obsessed about what national anthem they sing or don't sing, that you're not prepared to support a team that includes the entire island of Ireland

It's sad and pathetic that people like you call for a united ireland and when there is a united irish sports team, you refuse to support them because they're singing the wrong song.

what in gods name are you talking about? when did I call for a united Ireland? show me that post please. I simply said I think its disgraceful that they don't sing out national anthem.i know all about the politics surrounding the rugby team,but I don't care who plays for them.the point is they are either Ireland or they are not.if they are masquerading on the world stage as Ireland,then they should sing our national anthem like most other countries do.i find it embaressing to see the likes of the usa belting out their national anthem with pride and then it comes to Ireland and they sing some half assed song to appease players who don't see themselves as irish.no one is forcing anyone to play for the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

diomed wrote: »
    Not the real World Cup.

Its the real rugby world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Nib wrote: »
    Argentina beat South Africa two weeks ago.

There's a lot of ill informed people talking sh1t in this thread.
    kfallon wrote: »
    Tbh the Football World Cup has 32 teams, you could only ever see one of 6 or 7 nations prob winning it, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, France, Italy and maybe, at a push, Holland!
    At the last soccer world cup Spain were ranked number 1. In their first game they lost 5-1 to Netherlands.
    In rugby the 15th rank team is Japan. Imagine they beat New Zealand by 40-50 points and then New Zealand didn't get out of their group.

I love watching rugby but I don't understand why people try and pretend it has the strenght and depth worldwide as soccer, it's not even close. No shame in that, soccer is the biggest game in the world by a mile, rugby is long, long, long way back. Rugby has it's upsets, but the nature of the game an upset is a lot harder to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Same in the FIFA World Cup. Since 1966, only 6 countries have won the tournament.

The rest just really make up the numbers.

In seven rugby world cups, only twelve countries have reached the QFs. Two of those, Canada and Fiji, probably benefited from the absence of South Africa from the first two tournaments.

Five, NZL, AUS, ENG, FRA and RSA have reached the QF of every tournament they have contested. SCO have reached 6 QFs and IRL have reached 5. How many new teams do you expect in this year's QF?

Here's this year's QFs:

ENG v SCO
    AUS v RSA
    NZL v FRA
    IRL v ARG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

GAA is my first love but I'd bloody love to see Ireland win the RWC. Going to Ireland V Italy and cant wait.

Its seems most of the begrudgery here is coming from those of a soccer background with these high and mighty opinions like 'its not a real world cup', 'they're just friendlies not tests', 'poshos' etc.

It is a real World Cup. If Wales v Tonga doesn't float your boat fine, but Serbia v Korea in the FIFA version doesn't exactly help the 'not a real world cup' point of view.

One off competitive matches called Tests are genuine competitive games and exist in a number of sports. Reducing them to friendlies is a soccer-centric point of view thats irrelevant to Rugby, and Cricket for that matter.

Now imagine Ireland did win, the flags and bunting everywhere, the packed pubs, the general positivity, open top parade. What kind of boring curmudgeon do you have to be to not want that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stheno wrote: »
    I can't stand football, but by god I supported our team in Italia 90 etc.

If there's one thing the Irish love, it's a bandwagon.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    In seven rugby world cups, only twelve countries have reached the QFs. Two of those, Canada and Fiji, probably benefited from the absence of South Africa from the first two tournaments.

Canada have gone as far as we have in the RWC?

You learn something new. That's pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭RickyOFlaherty

D4 is a state of mind, not a geographical area. You know the ones. The fake accent gives them away.

It's about wealth and privilege. A lot of it earned through cronyism and the old rugger network fed into that.

iDave wrote: »
    GAA is my first love but I'd bloody love to see Ireland win the RWC. Going to Ireland V Italy and cant wait.

Its seems most of the begrudgery here is coming from those of a soccer background with these high and mighty opinions like 'its not a real world cup', 'they're just friendlies not tests', 'poshos' etc.

That based on a count, or being a GAA fan are you just trying to say "it's them guys over there, not the nice GAA fans"?

That based on a count, or being a GAA fan are you just trying to say "it's them guys over there, not the nice GAA fans"?

No it's an observation I made.

• Advertisement

LorMal wrote: »
    You are spot on there, Eugene. Grown adults with big beer bellies wearing soccer jerseys, talking about 'us' and 'we' as if they are part of the club, shouting at a telly in a pub, teams complied of players from all over the world, players pretending that they care about the club and the 'supporters'.....

Anyone above the age of 14 buying into that is a moron.

And then there are us lepers who follow our own League of Ireland teams week in and week out all over the country who get sneered at by these lads a lot of the time despite the fact they've probably not been to see "their" team in 5 years. "You Scouse this, you Manc that." Idiots to a man anyone who's ever said those words.

Omackeral wrote: »
    And then there are us lepers who follow our own League of Ireland teams week in and week out all over the country who get sneered at by these lads a lot of the time despite the fact they've probably not been to see "their" team in 5 years. "You Scouse this, you Manc that." Idiots to a man anyone who's ever said those words.

Also Irish Premier League fans are the most self entitled bunch going. From May to August its nothing but moaning about no football being on (ahem LOI/Copa America). They fill lunch breaks in work talking about 'transfer gossip'. Sergio Ramos prick teasing Van Gaal is somehow more interesting that a great Federer performance, provincial final, Dundalk in Champs Lge etc
    They whine when international breaks happen, but then big up the World Cup as a 'real' world cup here. I've even noticed complaining when FA Cup weekends take place.
    RWC will take some media attention and hype off the PL and thats now an issue for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

The only reason we do well at Rugby is because feck all nations play it. It's not a real sport like football which is played the world over.

This argument pops up almost every time rugby is mentioned on this form. Let's forget about the numbers that play and look at percentages.

Total points in Fifa world rankings; 82606
    Average points ; 397
    Ireland's points; 608
    Percentage compared to average points; +53.1%

Total points in rugby world rankings; 5321.75
    Average points; 52.17
    Ireland's points; 86.89
    Percentage compared to average; +66.5%

Yes, rugby is a smaller game, it's played by fewer nations, but when you compare Ireland's points to the average in the rankings, rugby is outscoring soccer. So can we please drop the "we only look good cause no one plays it" angle.

Some people think soccer > rugby. Some think rugby > soccer. Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

(Some people like both equally but they're weird. :P )

what in gods name are you talking about? when did I call for a united Ireland? show me that post please. I simply said I think its disgraceful that they don't sing out national anthem.i know all about the politics surrounding the rugby team,but I don't care who plays for them.the point is they are either Ireland or they are not.if they are masquerading on the world stage as Ireland,then they should sing our national anthem like most other countries do.i find it embaressing to see the likes of the usa belting out their national anthem with pride and then it comes to Ireland and they sing some half assed song to appease players who don't see themselves as irish.no one is forcing anyone to play for the team.

Am, they do that though. The Irish rugby team sing the Irish anthem. The Republic of Ireland has a national anthem. Northern Ireland has a national anthem. And when it comes to rugby, thanks to Mr Phil Coulter, the united island of Ireland has an anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Kev.OC wrote: »
    And when it comes to rugby, thanks to Mr Phil Coulter, the united island of Ireland has an anthem.

To be fair he deserves no thanks for that abomination!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Someone is definitely going to win so you can start being happy now.

I'm always happy, except when I'm not.

VinLieger wrote: »
    I do actually and when I was working at a promotion to give away free tickets to the Ireland Austria match a couple of years ago, the conversation went something like this.

Me: are you a football fan?
    Them: I am yeah
    Me: we are offering free tickets if you'll answer three quick questions on a video for us
    Them: yeah sure what tickets are they?
    Me: ireland and Austria
    Them: a feck off couldn't be bothered sure I wouldn't even watch it on the telly

That's verbatim and repeated for a large amount of people we met

Spot on. I remember we were called The Best Fans In The World after Euro 2012 in Poland because a load of us sang the Fields of Athenry after being thumped 4-0. Great for a p*ss up and holiday no doubt, each and every week or non glam affairs... forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

kfallon wrote: »
    To be fair he deserves no thanks for that abomination!!!

Absolutely.......what a dirge!!!

The French have La Marseillaise, the Jocks have Flower of Scotland, the Taffies, Land of My Fathers and we have a tune that a bad Failte Ireland ad wouldn't touch with the upright of a rugby goal post.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

But we dont play as the country of Ireland....
    We play as the Island of Ireland, which has 2 countries on it.

They play the National Anthem of Ireland when the game is being held there.

Guess what, They will play the Welsh and English anthems at the world cup when neither Wales or England are playing.

Whats the problem.

You are clutching at straws here.

But we dont play as the country of Ireland....
    We play as the Island of Ireland, which has 2 countries on it.

They play the National Anthem of Ireland when the game is being held there.

Guess what, They will play the Welsh and English anthems at the world cup when neither Wales or England are playing.

Whats the problem.

You are clutching at straws here.

But we dont play as the country of ireland? Exactly, so why do they call themselves ireland and wear an ireland jersey? Why do the fans shout ' come on ireland"? I am not clutching at straws, i simply made my point as to why i most certainly wont be supporting a team calling themslves ireland when as you say, its actually a team off two different countries.maybe the could think of a new name for the team and stop mis representing my country abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

But we dont play as the country of ireland? Exactly, so why do they call themselves ireland and wear an ireland jersey? Why do the fans shout ' come on ireland"? I am not clutching at straws, i simply made my point as to why i most certainly wont be supporting a team calling themslves ireland when as you say, its actually a team off two different countries.maybe the could think of a new name for the team and stop mis representing my country abroad.

They're not misrepresenting your country, there is no Republic of Ireland Rugby Union team....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The Team Represents the Island of Ireland.

Like in the Olympics, Team GB represents the Ireland of Great Britain.

They call themselves Ireland because the Name of the Island is Ireland.

What do you not get?

tritium wrote: »
    They're not misrepresenting your country, there is no Republic of Ireland Rugby Union team....

Oh ok. That clears that up then.

What do you not get?

What i dont get is why they dont play the irish national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What do you not get?

Oh no you didn't.....oh good Lord!!!
    Where's my tin hat.....

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

What i dont get is why they dont play the irish national anthem.

Because the IRFU and the Ireland team are representative of the island, which embraces two national jurisdictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Omackeral wrote: »
    If there's one thing the Irish every sports fan in the world love, it's a bandwagon.
    Fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Jawgap wrote: »
    Because the IRFU and the Ireland team are representative of the island, which embraces two national jurisdictions.

it is amazing the number of people who find that concept difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I like football but don't really get behind the international team anymore for various reasons, but I'd still like them to do well obviously.

Whatever sports Ireland competes in, I'd like them to do well even if don't like the sport whether it's rugby, athletics or whatever. I especially feel glad for the people that support and/or are involved with the sport, week-in, week-out, not just when it's going through a popular phase.

That said, I won't just suddenly start watching a sport or getting all excited just because it's a marquee event.

And I do resent the cheap armchair nationalism of being chided - often by people that never support the sport outside of marquee events - for 'not getting behind the lads' just because I'm not dancing in the streets when it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Full spectrum sports fan here (even went to a Diamond League athletics meeting on my honeymoon) - and really looking forward to the RWC. Going to all the group games except the Canada one. I'd like to think we have a decent chance, but won't assume anything until after the group stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

i most certainly wont be supporting a team calling themslves ireland when as you say, its actually a team off two different countries.maybe the could think of a new name for the team and stop mis representing my country abroad.

Who made it your country???

What name would you like the team called????

You won't be supporting them? We'll then don't plenty of us will so don't worry yourself over it

The rugby team are an actual all Ireland team which is a great thing considering all that has happened no.?

And by the way they do play Amhrán na bhFiann at home matches

http://youtu.be/cX4ka-5j2vU

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement