Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help choosing lipstick

• 17-08-2015 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

I love looking at red lipstick at the moment & would love it try it myself. I normally don't wear much make up just mascara & foundation so don't have clue what shade or brand to buy.

So any tips for me please..

Oh and I'm looking for something i can wear for daytime so not to OTT

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Moved to Beauty.

You could look at getting a sort of sheer, glossy finish for your first red, rather than jumping straight into the really deep, matte reds. For purse friendly options, have a look at Max Factor and Rimmel, they both make great lipsticks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭kickthecan

Agree on max factor and rimmel. Also revlon have some fab lippy.

If you want to go a bit more expensive try Chanel Rouge Allur lipstick and Lavrez scintillantes gloss. I only used them this weekend and love them!! I used the number 98 shade. It's a beautiful red but might be a bit much for daytime or if people aren't used to seeing you in red lippy.

Go for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭cleopatra11

I love looking at red lipstick at the moment & would love it try it myself. I normally don't wear much make up just mascara & foundation so don't have clue what shade or brand to buy.

So any tips for me please..

Oh and I'm looking for something i can wear for daytime so not to OTT

How about trying cheap and cheerful Wet n'Wild. The lippies are 2.99 in Pennys and Dunnes and i was so impressed with their lasting power.

At that price you could get a few shades and not feel guilty....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

OP, if you're just starting off with red lippy, I'd buy a cheaper brand first in case you're not too sure whether you like it or not. It can take a bit of time to get used to so you might not want to spend a lot on a high end one straight away if you're not too sure about it yet.

Another poster mentioned Wet 'n' Wild. They're lipsticks are pretty good for the price. Stoplight red is a nice shade. Coraline is too, but probably leaning more towards orange than red. Have a look at Catrice too. I like Essence cosmetics generally, but I don't find their lipsticks have any great staying power.

One other thing you might want to buy is a red lipliner (Esssence one should be fine here, that's what I normally use) as red needs a bit of attention and precise application in order to look right. A lipliner will definitely help here.

Lastly, don't be afraid to wear red. Lots of people are, but there's a shade to suit everyone and it can really finish off a look, so enjoy experimenting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ruby30

I was in boots earlier and was looking at foundations. Since I couldn't tell which shade was good for me the No7 shop assistant pulled out this little machine which tested my skin tone like a little scanner. She then gave me a card with a list of their lipsticks that would suit my skin tone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement