Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can't get application into school!

• 17-08-2015 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭

Quick one for my sister.

She wants to view a script that she feels she was poorly marked in.

The state examinations website states that the application to view must be in the school by tomorrow, 18th August.

That's fine. However, the school is shut up, no people there, no maintenance staff, etc.

So how does she apply, when there is nobody there to receive her application tomorrow?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That is very strange that the school is closed. It's a very busy time of year for admin staff. Did you try ringing?
    Is it a very small school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

spurious wrote: »
    That is very strange that the school is closed. It's a very busy time of year for admin staff. Did you try ringing?
    Is it a very small school?

We've called, emailed and gone up to the school itself (we live around the corner from it). Nobody there. It's a medium sized school.

I'd imagine someone will have to be around tomorrow, but am unsure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe keep an eye out for cars parked there later in the day. It's very strange that a school would be left empty, even for things like postal deliveries, which are quite big at this time of year.

spurious wrote: »
    Maybe keep an eye out for cars parked there later in the day. It's very strange that a school would be left empty, even for things like postal deliveries, which are quite big at this time of year.

That's what I thought myself, that they surely expect some deliveries of registered letters and so on.

I think I'll just spend the day and tomorrow searching for cars on the property. Hopefully there will be someone there tomorrow, given it's the closing date!

Thank you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's very strange indeed.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Could you possibly get your sister to ask someone she knows from the years below that are returning to the school this September to check the office hours? Usually given to pay school fees etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

I found out through totally different circumstances that the Department of Education can contact the Principal/Deputy Principal at any time - which is hardly surprising. It would obviously be the same for the State Examinations Commission. I have never come across schools being closed up at this stage in August. However, if it is so, I advise you to phone the SEC today. They really are very responsive to genuine problems.

linguist wrote: »
    I found out through totally different circumstances that the Department of Education can contact the Principal/Deputy Principal at any time - which is hardly surprising. It would obviously be the same for the State Examinations Commission. I have never come across schools being closed up at this stage in August. However, if it is so, I advise you to phone the SEC today. They really are very responsive to genuine problems.

Oh, brilliant. That's very helpful, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Just post the form into the school. It's usually a teacher on staff that deals with the paperwork for appeals and they won't be looking at the forms until they come back next week. It won't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Sure rainbowtrout, although if the form says it is to be in by a certain date and the candidate is counting on viewing the script, I completely understand the candidate's desire to do what the form says. Quite aside from that, the school shouldn't be closed up. Principals are expected to be back by the date of the results.

• Advertisement

Vice principal's car has arrived. :D

Thanks for the help, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

linguist wrote: »
    Sure rainbowtrout, although if the form says it is to be in by a certain date and the candidate is counting on viewing the script, I completely understand the candidate's desire to do what the form says. Quite aside from that, the school shouldn't be closed up. Principals are expected to be back by the date of the results.

I know that, but if the school is closed, post is the only option and there isn't going to be staff there to say the form wasn't at the school by the date stated. The school should be open anyway.

Advertisement