Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

booking accommodation

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Blue giant wrote: »
    Yeah, that's another reason I don't want to go up until Wednesday. It would be fairly awkward being the only one in the apartment.

Although I'll totally get to put dibs on the best room ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

AlfaJack wrote: »
    Although I'll totally get to put dibs on the best room ;)

I thought your room was assigned to you. It says I have room 4. I'm sure they're all more or less the same anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Solid_Shepard

I was thinking of going the Sunday before orientation, I only have mandatory stuff on Thursday and Friday too but I might have a wander and go to some non-mandatory things during the week :P

As b0gger suggested, I'd really advise going up for the entirety of Orientation Week, and attending a few of the social events, even if you're the only person in the apartment at the time (it's unlikely). Orientation Week is a really great way to get in touch with a variety of people, and form some really solid contacts to make friends. The social events that are on can all be attended as you don't have any lectures clashing. Most people are in a similar situation of not knowing anybody, or are alternatively involved in committees and are thus both sympathetic to being new to the university and simultaneously being enthusiastic about what's going ahead during the week, so it's really easy to spark up a conversation with a few people who you can keep in contact with and become friends with. Simple conversation openers like "Hey, what do you think of the event?" and "what are you studying" (the latter in particular you'll hear a hundred and one times in the first week) will open up conversations really easily, and free food can be acquired at a few events. It's also a good time to go out to the clubs in the city centre with people, as you're able to recover from a hangover in the morning without the guilt of missing a lecture. As things are on the entire day, if you throw yourself into things a bit, you'll be out of the apartment and making friends for the majority of the daytime, so it won't really be a case of you spending the entire time in the apartment unless you make it like that.

Also, if you're the first in your apartment, you've the plus of being able to choose where to keep your stuff in the kitchen and get the best set of shelves (no bending over to the floor everytime you want to take out something) and decide which bathroom you'll be using (your bedroom is assigned so you can't get dibs on that unfortunately). Ultimately though, a few other people will probably be up, especially since it's all first years and international students on campus this year (in addition to those with Ad Astra or scholarships of some kind).

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Do we need to check in on the 27th specifically or does that mean we can check in any day after the 27th? Can't seem to find any concrete information on this

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anonyy

Fiona G wrote: »
    Do we need to check in on the 27th specifically or does that mean we can check in any day after the 27th? Can't seem to find any concrete information on this

Check in starts at 12 on the 27th & every other day after that it's from 8 in the morning until...I don't remember what time! So you don't have to check in on the 27th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 anonyy

When are you guys actually going to move in? :)

I think I'm going up on the 30th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

anonyy wrote: »
    Check in starts at 12 on the 27th & every other day after that it's from 8 in the morning until...I don't remember what time! So you don't have to check in on the 27th!

I just read the email there :P I'd say most people will head in on the 30th, myself included

• Registered Users Posts: 11 R_mfly

Do ye think that if you checked in on the 27th there would be barely anybody else there.. I'm eager to kind of get a bit settled etc but I don't have any friends going to UCD so don't want to be at a loose end up there either !

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ekstar

I just got offered a place! Anyone else going to Blackrock hall? On the second floor even? I was wondering how many toilets are on a floor?

Advertisement