Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Launchpad thing??!!?

Options
  • 17-08-2015 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Okay, I'm anxious right now and I need help. Not sure if this is the right place to post this? Sorry. Well, I got accepted to Maynooth this morning for arts. I got 470 in my LC. I had applied for the HEAR scheme. Well, apparently I have to go to some launchpad thing?

And what's bothering me is that I have to stay there overnight and it lasts three days. I'm very anxious and I know I won't be able to mentally handle going to this trip. But in the email I just received it said that it's obligatory or else you lose your HEAR benefits?

If I didn't go would I lose my college place? I don't mind really about losing the HEAR support stuff but would not going affect my SUSI and/or college acceptance??

Thanks for your help.

Comments

Hi first of all congrats on getting your course!
    I'm not sure if rejecting the hear scheme is applicable or allowed but I'm gonna try persuade you as to why you shouldn't.
    First of all the launchpad programme is not that bad, you will have to stay overnight but you're in your own ensuite room in an apartment with a launchpad leader and 3-4 other students. The few days consists of loads of stuff to help you make friends and gain skills and info on how to get through your university course. After you finish launchpad you'll have loads of friendly faces going into orientation in September, you'll know your way around, how to use moodle, cooking, budgeting all that sort of stuff. Speaking personally it was invaluable for getting me through my degree and I'm still friends with people I met on launchpad 5 years ago. So I'd definitely encourage it.
    As for the access supports you might not even need them for the 3 or 4 years but if you do they're there to help. I've gone to them with about 5 or 6 different issues over the years about various things and they've always had it sorted, when I got my course I got enough points to get in without the hear reduced points but that's not all they're there for.
    I'd definitely try and go to the launchpad and give the access office a call in the meantime if you're still anxious about the whole thing but its a great experience. Pm me if youve any questions too. Enjoy maynooth regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fosterr48

Hi first of all congrats on getting your course!
    I'm not sure if rejecting the hear scheme is applicable or allowed but I'm gonna try persuade you as to why you shouldn't.
    First of all the launchpad programme is not that bad, you will have to stay overnight but you're in your own ensuite room in an apartment with a launchpad leader and 3-4 other students. The few days consists of loads of stuff to help you make friends and gain skills and info on how to get through your university course. After you finish launchpad you'll have loads of friendly faces going into orientation in September, you'll know your way around, how to use moodle, cooking, budgeting all that sort of stuff. Speaking personally it was invaluable for getting me through my degree and I'm still friends with people I met on launchpad 5 years ago. So I'd definitely encourage it.
    As for the access supports you might not even need them for the 3 or 4 years but if you do they're there to help. I've gone to them with about 5 or 6 different issues over the years about various things and they've always had it sorted, when I got my course I got enough points to get in without the hear reduced points but that's not all they're there for.
    I'd definitely try and go to the launchpad and give the access office a call in the meantime if you're still anxious about the whole thing but its a great experience. Pm me if youve any questions too. Enjoy maynooth regardless!

Thanks for your advice! It's just I suffer with really bad anxiety and I totally wouldn't be able for all the activities and there's a disco and stuff(which I'm reeeally not gonna be able to handle). I just don't think I'd be able to handle all of it. I'm trying to contact the organisers and see what I can do. I'm just worried that if I didn't show up that it'd affect my SUSI or my place in Maynooth..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fosterr48

Just got off the phone with the access office and was able to ask all my questions. Still unsure whether or not I want to go but I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about what it all is. Thanks again for your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Beccamalone94

Hi! I'm a leader on this years program and just 2 years ago I was a first year too! Like you I was really nervous and didn't know anybody and was socially awkward. After the first day the leaders put me completely at ease, everybody is in the same boat! We do lots of ice breakers and activities that get even the shyest people talking and I made some of the best friends during that week! If you want to find out more about the program or ask any questions join the group MAP Launchpad 2015 on Facebook where all the leaders are Happy to help with anything! I feel by going to this you really get a head start over other students as you get a real feel for the college before other students! Don't be nervous! It was one of the best few days I ever had! :) if you'd like to ask me anything I'd be happy to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Hey foster mate,

Similar to Becca, I'm actually the student coordinator for Launchpad this year. I came into Launchpad 4 years ago as a student and I thought I was going to HATE it, it sounded so childish / I am not the more social person. Believe me when I say there's a place for every sort of person at it, and you'll be fine. After being a student, I loved it so much that I came back as a leader, a head leader and now as coordinator. You'll be perfectly fine and you really will get to know people who you'll likely know for the rest of your degree then. Plus, you get used to the college before anyone else does which is a distinct advantage.

The disco can be an unnerving thought to some people, but there will likely be tables to just play games at if you're not up for the actual disco element. If you've any concerns, throw a PM my way or come talk to us on the facebook page you got in your email. We certainly won't bite :)

-Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement