Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job in Claremorris/Brobe/Ballindine - where to live with 2 kids?

Options
  • 17-08-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all,

We are moving to the west in the next couple of weeks to start a job in Headford. Any recommendations where to live with 2 kids? Looking for parks, daycare facilities, mothers groups etc.

We are looking at Ballindine, Ballinrobe, Claremorris areas at the moment. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

Claremorris is bigger than BAllinrobe,would have more shops a larger tesco and Aldi, playground and lakeside park, swimming pool / gym. Ballindine is just a village, but a stones throw from Claremorris, Ballinrobe would be nearer to Headford, has a smaller Tesco, nearer to Cong for nice places to eat, Galway would be a little nearer Balinrobe. Both about equal distance from Castlebar, BAllinrobe would be nearer Westport. Hollymount would be halfway between BAllinrobe and Claremorris, and 20/25 min from Headford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

start a job in Headford

Whats wrong with Headford itself?
    Or looking in the rest of Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Whats wrong with Headford itself?
    Or looking in the rest of Galway?

Lack of supply in Headford and surrounds.

When going closer to Galway price nearly doubles I.e 4 bed in Claremorris is €650, 3 bed in Oranmore for €1300.

I know it's not always double but closer to Galway is a lot more expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Try Tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

A lot of the newer estates (designed for families) have daycare facilities onsite in Claremorris. Clare Lake is one of the best parks in Mayo and it's right in Claremorris. There is a playground close to it and there is also one of the places that kids can go playing with all the climbing things and bouncing castles etc. in it.

It has quite a few festivals over the summer - it's an active town with a future due to the N17 just bypassing it (soon to be made into a motorway)....

All the usual facilities like library, swimming pool, schools..

There is a centre for families with issues and another centre where all types of meetings for different things go on afaik. I'd imagine there *MAY* be something related to mothers there but I don't know either....

Claremorris is reasonably priced, about 25mins from Headford; but, it's not a great road.

Tesco, Aldi, Super Valu.

• Advertisement

There is a train station too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

euser1984 wrote: »
    A lot of the newer estates (designed for families) have daycare facilities onsite in Claremorris. Clare Lake is one of the best parks in Mayo and it's right in Claremorris. There is a playground close to it and there is also one of the places that kids can go playing with all the climbing things and bouncing castles etc. in it.

It has quite a few festivals over the summer - it's an active town with a future due to the N17 just bypassing it (soon to be made into a motorway)....

All the usual facilities like library, swimming pool, schools..

There is a centre for families with issues and another centre where all types of meetings for different things go on afaik. I'd imagine there *MAY* be something related to mothers there but I don't know either....

Claremorris is reasonably priced, about 25mins from Headford; but, it's not a great road.

Tesco, Aldi, Super Valu.

No m17 for claremorris, it will remain as it is.

No m17 for claremorris, it will remain as it is.

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Says who?

The RSA? There is no current plans for the N17 by Claremorris to be made into a motorway, nor is there any need.
    The motorway is to Tuam... surely you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

why not try Balla.

Nice village, central to everywhere, nice primary school and crèches, good secondary school. Good shops, Post office,medical centre.

Perfect location !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Shelflife wrote: »
    why not try Balla.

Nice village, central to everywhere, nice primary school and crèches, good secondary school. Good shops, Post office,medical centre.

Perfect location !

Poor advice, I think.

Balla is a village similar to Ballindine but less developed and further from the nearest town. It's effectively a dormitory village for Castlebar. Balla would add c 13km or 10 mins to the journey to Headford versus a commute from Claremorris - more versus Ballindine.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

There is a train station too.

Excellent train service from Claremorris on it's only line: Westport / Dublin.

Advertisement