Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Orientation Week

Options
  • 17-08-2015 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

UCD Orientation week runs from the 1st to the 4th of September. I have two debs (2nd/3rd) and I have compulsory events to be at up until 4pm each day? Is there anyway around this? It's gonna put me under so much pressure to get around and be ready!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jameshan

yeah I'm kinda the same I've got Electric Picnic on the weekend so I'll miss friday (and prob Monday)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

You should be ok, as far as I remember the events are just tours, welcoming you in, icebreakers etc. A guy in my peer mentor group left halfway through the first day of orientation for a debs and didn't come in the second day (mine was only 2 days long) and nothing was said about it and nothing much happened:)
    If you miss your time slot for collecting your ucard you can always go and get it again, it's no big deal. Just say it to your peer mentor that you have to leave early and ask them or someone in your peer mentor group to save any stuff you might get (eg the UCD scarf if you miss the welcome ceremony in O'Reilly Hall) and pass on any info you might need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Don't worry - if they didn't say it was 'compulsory', hardly anyone would show up. I found it very useful last year (getting to know a few people, finding my way around the place, etc), so I wouldn't recommend missing too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

UCD Orientation week runs from the 1st to the 4th of September. I have two debs (2nd/3rd) and I have compulsory events to be at up until 4pm each day? Is there anyway around this? It's gonna put me under so much pressure to get around and be ready!

Well there,
    So orientation week in UCD is 100% Optional, it does help to be there though. All the events are there to get you comfortable with the college.
    The events you do are a tour of campus to show you where stuff is, a few sports, a lot of society events (aka Debates & Comedy Shows), Presidents Welcome (This is where you get your free UCD Scarf), Picking up you Student Card (you can do it anytime after you allotted time as well) and general information about your course, and services available in & around UCD.

Also when you first arrive in UCD you'll be split into groups. These groups are there to help you make friends since UCD is quite a daunting place for a lot of people when they start off.

There will be plenty of student walking around campus in blue t-skirts to give you a helping hand.
    If you any questions about it feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I notice that for most courses only a few days feature timetabled events. Are we expected to attend for the rest of the week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    I notice that for most courses only a few days feature timetabled events. Are we expected to attend for the rest of the week?

No you only need to attend for the dates it says for your course. However if you want to go to any of the social events (eg table quiz, movie) and they're not on any of the days timetabled for your course you can go along.

Advertisement