Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCing & cooler advice

Options
  • 17-08-2015 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

Relevent Specs:
    FX-6300
    ASRock 970 Extreme3
    HIS HD 7850 1024MB
    Super Flower 80 Plus Bronze - 450 Watt
    Thermaltake V3 BlacX Edition case

My current CPU is reaching 60C with the stock fan playing BF4, just got a r9-290 tri-x so I want to OC my CPU as it will bottleneck it quite a bit (from what I read). I'd like to get 4.5ghz or so with decent temps in the mid 50's but I am new to overclocking... so any advice on starting this is appreciated.

I'm obviously getting a new PSU to match the GPU, I spotted a super flower 650w for decent value on hardwareversand so a cooler from there or another site with similar value for PSUs and coolers would be good!

I've been eyeing up some of the maintenance free all in one water coolers but I've seen complaints about noise so I'd like yer opinion on those too!

I'd prefer the cooler to be 60 or less! Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

I would highly recommend the be quiet! Dark Rock 3 even on a normal gaming load ya can't hear it at all.
    Don't know load temps but at idle my 4690k Non Oc'ed is at 29c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

laneooo wrote: »
    I would highly recommend the be quiet! Dark Rock 3 even on a normal gaming load ya can't hear it at all.
    Don't know load temps but at idle my 4690k Non Oc'ed is at 29c.

Damn, 3 radiators! Would that fit in my case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

im planning to oc my 4690 soon and have been looking into coolers, Im not 100% sure my case will hold a 240 cooler but i had narrowed it down to the coolermaster nepton 240m, NZXT Kracken x61, corsair h100igtx or the swiftech h240x,
    the swiftech looks great and scores really high in the test reviews ive read and is the one i will get if i can fit it in my case,
    think your budget might be a little tight at 60 though,

Damn, 3 radiators! Would that fit in my case?
    The Dark Rock 3 is an air cooler.

laneooo wrote: »
    The Dark Rock 3 is an air cooler.

yes but a bulky one, and sorry *heatsinks

• Advertisement

yes but a bulky one, and sorry *heatsinks
    Well you would have to research that but I have a DS3 and fits comfortable in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Coolermaster evo is your only man for cheap efficient cooling on air. Assuming you have the space

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chivral

Before anyone tells you to get the 212 evo let me know my experiences with it.
    I'm using a 6300 with an ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 in the Cooltek Antiphon Black.
    At stock I was getting tops 59 degrees when I was playing games. I've OCed it to 4GHz and I'm getting 65-68 degrees ish maybe I just got unlucky with the silicon lottery. When deciding on a cooler make sure you get one that fits your case the dark rock 3 after a bit of googling seems to say that it'll fit your case but it doesn't quite fit your budget the only all in one cooler I can think of that nearly fits your budget (Don't know about case) is the CM seidon 120V but like all all in one coolers you'll hear horror stories and bad stuff about them.

Okay, I'll rephrase, I want the best cooler I can get (air or water) for </=60 quid (But I'll stretch by 5 or so if its a really good cooler) for keeping a 6300 under 60C at full load at a good OC of 4.4-4.5ghz. So far the Dark rock 3 sounds decent but I want to be sure :)

CM seidon 120V doesn't seem that popular and the 212 doesn't seem like it would be enough considering the amount of heat 6300's put out!

Well i know it is a bit over your budget it does seem that it will fit in your case...One thing i will say is it looks sick in the case.
    Try to find a bad review of the dark rock 3 cos i tell ya u won't.
    I am actually thinking of replacing my DS3 fans with silent wings 2.

• Advertisement

I'd look up the Dimensions of the dark rock and measure your case to see if it fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Get the hyper evo. Dont put too much paste on it. A pea sized bit is best.
    Set her up and game away.
    I had one on a fx6300 for nearly 2 years and it was so good i bought another one or my intel chip.
    60 c is not too hot for an amd chip either btw.
    With the hyper you should see a decent drop in temp without alot of noise.
    Its curca 25 stg on amazon. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm obviously getting a new PSU to match the GPU, I spotted a super flower 650w for decent value on hardwareversand so a cooler from there or another site with similar value for PSUs and coolers would be good!

14 posts and nobody brings up this yet?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057466921

14 posts and nobody brings up this yet?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057466921

Wel spotted challengemaster.

Avoid them and use another vendor like amazon

Ugggh, I already bought the two items... I'm guessing I should ask for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

They're fulfilling all orders now AFAIK.

Yeah I just got an email saying they sent the stuff! Cheers for the help anyway

Yeah I just got an email saying they sent the stuff! Cheers for the help anyway

Nice, you can track the order anyways, good chance you'll have it by Friday too :)

What did you order?

Gumbi wrote: »
    Nice, you can track the order anyways, good chance you'll have it by Friday too :)

What did you order?

Got the super flower and the Dark rock 3.

Saw some posts saying the dark rock paired really nice with the 6300 on another site too!

• Advertisement

Got the super flower and the Dark rock 3.

Saw some posts saying the dark rock paired really nice with the 6300 on another site too!

Nice, that cooler should last you a few years, it has great performance and is very quiet :)

Advertisement