Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about a "rule"

Options
  • 17-08-2015 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭

I got a days ban from a forum for talking about the modding in another thread I got a days banned from, the mod said it is against site rules to discuss moderation. But I checked charters and the big rules thing here http://www.boards.ie/content/terms?site=desktop

and nowhere does it say you can't discuss moderation, it says if you have a problem with a mods action you can pm them and continue to bring it up the food chain but nothing that I can find says that you can't talk about moderation?

So can someone please show me where this rule exists because myself and another poster can't find it anywhere nor did the mod I asked to show me proceed to show me this rule

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

but I wasn't back seat modding?? I didn't say oh i shouldn of been banned? I was questioning the so called rule that you can't talk about moderation? and asked to be shown where it is in any of the rules

I didn't tell the moderators anything, I asked to see a rule which I don't think is out of the world if a mod is using it to shut me up talking about mods

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

It's actually all over raze.

Part of the reason for the Help Desk is to give you that avenue - assuming you've already tried with mods/cmods, or you can go straight there.
    From the HD's charter
    Complaints about a moderator action, ban or infraction - ALWAYS PM THE MODERATOR FIRST, to try resolve the situation amicably, like an adult. Feel free to read the full Dispute Resolution Procedure regarding this.
    If you're unhappy with that outcome, then get in touch with that sections CMod.
    If you are still unhappy, then start a thread here, and include as much relevant information as you can.

Many forums specifically call out not to discuss moderator action, on threat of card / ban.
    As to having rules not to discuss moderation of one forum in another, well it's covered by the site FAQ but I'd lump it under the "Don't be a dick" rule, but there are others there like back seat moderation.
    It may not explicitly call it out just as it doesn't with so many other items but I'd group it under applying "common sense", if you've an issue in a forum with a moderator you don't go to another forum to give out, you instead take it to the Help Desk. Otherwise just imagine the effect that would have longer term, one forum setting itself up against another. As I said common sense really. Bit like, don't walk out of a shop without waiting for your change or crossing a railway line when the barriers are down is not a good idea.

I didn't go and give out. If i was giving out I would of complained that he infraced me and told me not to post, then woke up 9 hours later banned me, then 3 hours after than edited his original infraction.

And if talking about a mod is being a dick that is just a loose way to cover whatever. I didnt mention the mod, didn't say he was wrong. Then the other mod started going on about this rule. The things with rules is ye have them all laid out and the one used to ban me is nowhere to be seen. I asked the mod to show it to me and he banned me, then after pming a bit said he was too busy but that'd he'd look into it later, I come here and it's a thing about back seat modding which clearly I wasn't doing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Let's have the full history of events:

You were trolling After Hours. From the site FAQ:
    Be Civil (Don't be a dick)

The internet is full of anonymous keyboard warriors being rude to each other. We don’t want that here. We're not saying you have to be super-nice to everyone and sign each post with a little heart, but we DO require that you are at least CIVIL to the humans on the other end of this intertube. Everyone is tired of the muppets online and if you feel you must be a dick to others, you aren’t welcome here.

You were banned accordingly.

You bragged about trolling, in the Tattoos & Piercings. You were told to knock it off. Cross forum trolling is not accepted on Boards as it's breaking the Don't be a dick rule as well as several others.

You decided to argue that you weren't discussing moderation. But you posted:
    What got you banned Hellrazer?

That's discussing moderation (which is also backseat modding, fyi). You were again told to stop. You continued to argue. You eventually were banned for ignoring the CMods instruction.

Also, worth noting from the Tattoos & Piercings charter:
    If you feel that any action taken against you by a moderator is unfair, then please feel free to PM the moderators and discuss your issues in a civil manner. If we receive any PMs that we consider to be worded in a hostile/aggressive/abusive manner, we will simply ban the user permanently.

You decided to ignore this and continue arguing on thread.

And most importantly, from the site FAQ:
    Discretion of the Moderator

If you think these rules bind the moderators hands, think again. The moderators have discretion to react and moderate as they see fit, in the best interests of the forum they take care of. You can challenge a decision using the Dispute Resolution Process, but don’t think for a moment you can use the guidelines above to find some semantic loophole to excuse your behaviour (people who do this are known as “rules lawyers” and are seen as a small step above trolls). It’s not going to work. The spirit of the law is more important than the wording of the law on boards.ie and our guidelines can and will change if and when there’s need.

So basically, you haven't a leg to stand on. You were a bold boy and were slapped for causing trouble. You should learn from this instead of pretending you're innocent.

• Advertisement

discussing moderation isback seat modding? how do you reckon that one exactly? What only mods can talk about a mod decision?

And actually I was told to knock it off aftert I was told to stop posting in the thread(which I had) and then banned from AH anyway when whatever mod woke up 9 hours later and decided I know I said don't post again and you didn't but here's a ban anyway.

And I never said I was innocent of trolling, I said I was innocent of the mods don't like being questioned rule so we have made up a rule. I even asked to see anywhere on the site that says it. but got ignored. I can't rule shark if there is no rule against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I already pointed out the rule you broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

At best, it's completely off topic for the forum (and no, posting in the the 'Off Topic' chat thread doesn't get around that.)

The reason that you were banned however was because you completely ignored my instruction to drop the topic, or to take the discussion here instead.

As Humanji posted above too:
    Discretion of the Moderator

If you think these rules bind the moderators hands, think again. The moderators have discretion to react and moderate as they see fit, in the best interests of the forum they take care of. You can challenge a decision using the Dispute Resolution Process, but don’t think for a moment you can use the guidelines above to find some semantic loophole to excuse your behaviour (people who do this are known as “rules lawyers” and are seen as a small step above trolls). It’s not going to work. The spirit of the law is more important than the wording of the law on boards.ie and our guidelines can and will change if and when there’s need.
    Not discussing moderation in thread, outside of Helpdesk, the Dispute Resolution Forum and specific feedback threads has always been one of the rules of the site. Granted, you may have highlighted that it's currently an 'unwritten rule' as such, but it's always been the way. And you've been around the site a long time, so should be well familiar with this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement