Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houseshare - Problems

Options
  • 17-08-2015 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

OK so I dont know whether I am just using this for a rant or looking for advice maybe a bit of both...

So, from my other post its clear I am in a houseshare so here goes but for those that dont know I am

The person living with us is an older woman not from Ireland here is where the problems start....

I can home last night at 11.30 pm to find her keys still outside in the door, the windows open on the landing and in the main bathroom (solely for her use) and the patio door unlocked aswell and she was obviously asleep in bed, now this is not the first time I have came home to find the back door still unlocked... probably the 5th / 6th time, I can home from work one evening after she was last to leave that morning the patio door unlocked meaning it had been unlocked for the whole day... I said it to her in a nice way and she reminded her to double check everything before she leaves windows / doors etc expecially as there has been a few break ins in our area.

I have got in to the habit of checking all doors / windows etc when I come home... well sober anyway lol the odd Saturday night I too couldnt care after a few drinks

Another thing she is up at 5 am every morning cooking her lunch for work form fish to chicken whatever now I have got used to this but seriously dealing with the smell at that time makes me want to puke sometimes...

She makes no effort to empty bins, clean etc... Friday evening I came home from work moped the floors etc, had my dinner and left the food waste bin open to whatever she used / didnt eat that evening thinking ah sure she will throw bag in outside bin... no chance... up to me again.... but didnt the bag burst all over my clean floor lol I literally did scream... fuming

She is showering twice a day for almost an hour each time... not a big issue until we have to pay water bill????

I am a pretty easy going person so have turned a blind eye to most of the stuff but last night was a step too far IMO for... like what it it was a burgler might aswell have just left a note for them to take everything... no alarm set either again she is not in the habit of doing this either even though I showed her the ropes on everything when moving in...

The list could go on and on but as I said I just needed a rant today lol

Rant over for now lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JesseT

As I said I have turned a blind eye to everythis else until now...

but a key in the door for anyone to walk in to the house and doors unlocked again for those pesky people called burglers to come in and grab everything and run.... then when we go to switch on the tele we relase its not there.... and left wondering how the hell that happened "but we are always so careful to lock up at night and switch alarm on mr policeman"

Ive being doing ok on 1 shower a day for the past few years lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

So what advice are you looking for? Do you want to ask her to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

How many of you are living in the house? Is it owner occupied or are all occupants renting a room?

I'd be saying something to the landlord about it if I was you, I'd also be on the look out for somewhere new as the issue may not get resolved and it might be the easier option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

If it's an electric shower,its not the water bill I'd be worried about.

Was just having a rant really....

But the keys in door situation and doors not being locked and no alarm being set is worrying.... especially when I try to make sure I follow the rules and guidelines I have been given...

I already said it to her nicely about just making sure the doors are locked, like come on how hard is it to make sure a door is locked before you head out... this isnt the first time this has happened and doubt it be last and the next time some chancer could be going around and imagine his happy face when he realises he has free entry.

I am not saying I want her to leave I just wonder sometimes how she has so little cope on really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is someone moving an option? If you can't shift her start looking for something yourself, life is too short to be dealing with this and as you've let it slide so long there's little chance of her changing.

Shes only been in the house around 6 months....

Your right life is too short... she is a 50 year old woman not a 5 year old that needs looking after...

I guess I just have it in my head, respect your elders you know... so unsure what way to approach it / her...

The landlord is over seas working...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

cruizer101 wrote: »
    How many of you are living in the house?

I'd be saying something to the landlord about it if I was you, ...

Yes, is there anyone else there? Does anyone else have the same problem with her?

You have to compromise on some things - her cooking smells - but excessive use of the shower and compromising on safety I would see as issues that need discussion.

And what you, and the other flatmates (if any), have to do is have a serious discussion about the impact of water and electrical bills from the showering, and the fact that house insurance is not valid if the alarm isn't used and the doors and windows aren't locked or closed. But it has to be serious, she has to know you mean it. It can be done nicely, seriously, and firmly.

Otherwise the niceness reduces the message you are trying to give, and she won't take it seriously. Many foreigners aren't used to the level of crime, burglaries etc that we might have here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

JesseT wrote: »
    Shes only been in the house around 6 months....

Your right life is too short... she is a 50 year old woman not a 5 year old that needs looking after...

I guess I just have it in my head, respect your elders you know... so unsure what way to approach it / her...

The landlord is over seas working...
    Are ye paying rent to an agent or directly to the Landlord and are ye keeping 20% for the revenue?

Contact the LL and tell them she is spending 2 hours a day in the shower and also leaving doors and windows open while she goes to bed and to work! make and keep a record of all instances and ask the LL to deal with it or you will have to move out and he will find it very difficult to get another tenant with her in place.

Advertisement