Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't even manage 60 seconds jogging....

• 17-08-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

I really need to up my 'fitness' as I think I'm the most unfit person ever..
    I'm young (ish) 28, female of average weight, could do with losing about 8 or so pounds but I'm of no means grossly overweight.

I can walk for miles and I like it but when it comes to jogging/running.. I'm useless.

I tried the couch to 5 k about 10 times and I just couldn't even do the first week.

When I run/jog for even 30/60 secs, my neck goes kinda tight and dry and I just feel so weak. My head feels weird too, like I'm about to get that headrush type thing.

My whole face goes REALLY red when I exercise also and it takes ages for my face to go back to a normal colour.

I eat properly and eat foods which should 'fuel' exercise..

I'm worried about my health at this stage as at the mo, I'm working in an office doing data entry, so I'm on my backside for nearly 9 hour every day!

I see really overweight people on TV who say they've never done exercise before running and they're grand.. so I'm like, WTF is wrong with me!

Is there another avenue of exercise I should look at in order to get my 'strength' up for running?!
    Or perhaps, it might be a good investment to get the input from a professional PT??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

There is such a thing called "exercise intolerance". What a doctor told me is to just do what you can do. If it's just walking briskly, do that. If it's a stationary bike, do that. Just get your heart rate in the proper zone for the proper period of time (say 30 minutes most days a week) and your diet managed well, and address whatever other health issues you may have, and that's the key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does it have to be running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Lunaarli

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Does it have to be running?

I guess I wanted to run as it's good cardio.. but I have tried those elliptical things and cross trainers and I'm not really much better on them!

Any exercise is good cardio so long as it gets your heart rate in the right place for the right amount of time. Another thing... are you breathing correctly? Someone told me I tend to hold my breath when I exercise because I'm concentrating! Don't forget to breathe! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lunaarli wrote: »
    I guess I wanted to run as it's good cardio.. but I have tried those elliptical things and cross trainers and I'm not really much better on them!

Well if your sitting at a desk for large portions of the day and haven't exercised for a period, I'd say you'd benefit hugely from movement, mobility, and resistance based training.

Would you consider yoga?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Might be worth mentioning to a doctor, there are plausible medical issues that could be a factor.

You might also just be really unfit and have a low threshold for what counts as unbearable. High intensity cardio is really hard at first, your whole body just complains and complains and you reel in disbelief that anyone could put up with it for more than a few minutes. You have to push through. It gets easier the next time. Do you see no improvement between runs? You could spread couch to 5k over twice the recommended time if you want.

Possible other issues:
    - Are you well hydrated? Exercise would be very unpleasant if you were chronically dehydrated.
    - You say you're a little overweight so you're getting enough calories, but is it a good diet? Lots of sugar/fast carbs and little else would make for a serious lack of energy.

Also if running is not for you you should definitely considering making sure your walks have some steep hills - that'd be very good for you too.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well if your sitting at a desk for large portions of the day and haven't exercised for a period, I'd say you'd benefit hugely from movement, mobility, and resistance based training.

Would you consider yoga?

To be honest, I can't afford yoga lessons, they're pretty pricey.
    It's not a case of me spending the money on cigs/drink etc.. it's literally going on rent and bills.

That's why I was hoping I could take up running.. I've a good pair of runners so it would effectively be free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,675 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You don't necessarily have to run but one possible reason is you're trying to run too fast. You will probably think 'but it's not actually fast' but that's relative. Most people find themselves not being able for C25K because they run at too fast a pace.

Running too fast for what you're able for will catch out plenty of very fit people.

Bear that in mind if you do want to run but there are plenty of ways to get yourself in better shape.

Bottom line, do what works for YOU YOU YOU and work up to running.

Zillah wrote: »
    Might be worth mentioning to a doctor, there are plausible medical issues that could be a factor.

You might also just be really unfit and have a low threshold for what counts as unbearable. High intensity cardio is really hard at first, your whole body just complains and complains and you reel in disbelief that anyone could put up with it for more than a few minutes. You have to push through. It gets easier the next time. Do you see no improvement between runs? You could spread couch to 5k over twice the recommended time if you want.

Possible other issues:
    - Are you well hydrated? Exercise would be very unpleasant if you were chronically dehydrated.
    - You say you're a little overweight so you're getting enough calories, but is it a good diet? Lots of sugar/fast carbs and little else would make for a serious lack of energy.

Also if running is not for you you should definitely considering making sure your walks have some steep hills - that'd be very good for you too.

I always make sure I've drank loads water before exercising, but as soon as I exert myself, I'm gasping for water!

I do eat well, limited refined carbs, quinoa, high protein pasta, good fats, proteins etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You might be going too fast. I did that when I started jogging. I was lucky enough to have a friend who was really into it, and they gave me some advise on my gait and pace.

I started the jogging again post-childbirth, and literally my 'run/jog' was slower than my walking pace. Really really slow it down and see how that goes.

If you're looking for some freebie running advice, try youtube. Chi Running was what my buddy advised for me, I'm sure there are loads of other methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I have never been able to run/jog either, my lungs tend to burn and my feet are in agony after minutes. I can swim for kilometers in the pool or cycle away fine, but running just gets me too. Nobody else in family can run either really, I think some people honestly are not built for it. I also think it can be pretty tough on the body and the joints.If your a bit overweight all that extra mass is hammering your legs. Personally if I was intent on it, I would get fit through another excercise and then start running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

If Couchto5k week 1 is difficult, scale it back a little: do 30sec jog, 2 minutes walk, etc. The key is consistency and perseverance, you'll pick it up in no time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

For someone new to exercising (as in haven't done any serious work for years), conditioning is even more important than outright fitness. Just getting used to what it feels like to have your heart beating faster, demanding more air, that feeling of getting flushed as you warm up. It's all new, it's all weird and it can feel a little bit like you're suffocating and gasping for air.

I recall that I felt like I had basically forgotten how to run. As a child I ran everywhere, won a few local races, was pretty fast. Picking it back up again at 29, I felt like a pleb running really awkwardly everywhere. So there's that too. Running in general feels weird for the first while.

Walking is fine and good, but there's a limit in reality to how much you can really get the blood pumping when you're walking. Unless you start going comically fast, there's an effective limit on how much effort you can expend walking on the flat.

With jogging, you can get your heart going much more quickly. But as pwurple says, there's a good chance you're going way too fast. And this is normal, because you don't know what an appropriate pace is. For the initial few times, your jog might be slower than your fast walk.

The advice pwurple gives above is spot on. Ideally if you know someone who's into running or jogging, then ask them if they would accompany you and give you a few pointers. I would never offer to accompany someone and help them, but if someone came to me and asked for it, I'd help without hesitation.

Outside of that, there may be a Couch to 5K group in your local area that isn't part of a club (i.e. doesn't have any fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 looseliver

I'd advise going running with someone else or a group. if you can't hold a conversation then you're running too fast.

Also don't drink before you go out unless of course you're thirsty. i've noticed in myself and other people i run with that too much fluid in you system can make you feel i'll.

try and maintain a good posture while running and breath in through your nose, this will keep your chest open and help you regulate your breathing.

when i took up running i supplemented it with skipping. one minute on one off for a few rounds - i found this really helped my cardio.

looseliver wrote: »
    I'd advise going running with someone else or a group. if you can't hold a conversation then you're running too fast.

I'm not sure this is the case. Pretty sure a fast, high intensity run is better for you than a slow endurance test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

If you can't run for 60 seconds then slow down. A LOT - as much as you can and then even slower.

I'm not sure this is the case. Pretty sure a fast, high intensity run is better for you than a slow endurance test.

And, sure, it would be, if the OP's problem was that they can't manage it in the first place. No, I think the current wisdom is that for conditioning purposes your pace should not leave you too breathless to carry on a conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Not if you want to build up your aerobic fitness to run more than 60 seconds.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If c25k didn't work for you, you need to adapt it to your ability. Not everyone can just take off and run (I couldn't) and you need to build in a way that suits you. Pick a walk route, and during it, run for as long as you can. Don't time it. Just run till you have to stop, whether that's 5, 10 or 30 seconds. Keep it easy, and relax. Walk to recover, then do another jog, all the way round your route. Repeat this regularly, 2 or 3 times per week, on the same route. That way you will notice the run phases getting longer. If you stick with this you will hit a eureka moment maybe 6 weeks in, when you will find running much easier all of a sudden. Persevere.

• Advertisement

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Not if you want to build up your aerobic fitness to run more than 60 seconds.

Yes sorry, I had kind of forgotten the original issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

OP would you consider doing some other form of cardio to build up to the running? There is a Jillian Michaels workout which is free on youtube and is really effective (30 day shred). I would consider myself pretty fit, but I am the world's crappest runner - like someone else said, I really think some people are just not natural runners but there are lots of other free cardio programmes out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Lunaarli wrote: »

When I run/jog for even 30/60 secs, my neck goes kinda tight and dry and I just feel so weak. My head feels weird too, like I'm about to get that headrush type thing.

This sounds like you might be overly tensing up while running and compressing some type of nerve in your neck or shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lissaH

Would you try joining a team sport? Most are really cheap. My rugby club is €10 a month. When i first started i couldn't do a lap of the pitch and in 6 months I can do 5k in 29 minutes. Think it really helps when you have big group around you and your having fun while starting to build up fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

If you're really struggling with the Couch to 5k, you could try a different method for a while and see if it works better. I tried Couch to 5k several times and couldn't get past Week 5, then I just decided to change things up. Would walk for 5 minutes then slow jog for as long as possible, 5 minute walk at the end too (or just whatever the walk home was). First time I got 5 minutes, but even if I got 30 seconds it wouldn't matter, the next day it would've been more, and I'd have built it up in the same way. Got to 20 minutes eventually and was delighted with myself as that was a record for me. I've switched back to Couch to 5k now (not from Week 1, but around Week 4 or 5) to see if I can progress further. You could try that too after.

I found aerobics classes helped a lot too when I wasn't running, really kept my legs strong. They're probably expensive enough if you're not a student, but I'm sure you could find loads of videos on YouTube with good exercises - squats, lunges, that kind of thing - to build up leg strength.

Edit: I forgot to add my main point. A lot of it is in the mind. I struggled with Couch to 5k 'cause as soon as I started running I knew each time 'okay I have to do 90 seconds/3minutes/5 minutes etc and then more after an X minute walking break' - I'd be tired 10 seconds into runs with that stuck in my head, it made it way tougher. Even when I just ran for as long as I could, I had to keep changing the route, otherwise I knew that the day before I had run as far as whatever point, so I had to go at least that far then or I'd be doing 'badly'. For me it jut made it way more difficult. Different route every time and distance set by how I'm feeling while I run works much better for me. Some days I can only do 5 minutes again but other times I really surprise myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

Given that you have the ability to walk for hours I would say your issue is that you are running way too fast. Slow your pace right down to a very manageable level where you can hold a conversation. It may take you some time for your body to familiarise itself with the new movement but over time you will build on your ability and endurance levels.

There are free 5k parkruns every saturday morning all over Ireland. They have a very friendly atmosphere and are full of people of all abilities. Google parkrun Ireland for their locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Make sure to relax too. When I first started running I was hugely self conscious of all the thousands of people that were staring at me run ( :p) but nobody is actually looking at all. Because I was so nervous I wasn't letting my natural rhythm develop and I was rigidly moving my arms and holding my ankles very tense too. After a while I got more comfortable with exercising in public and started to relax. My running got much faster and I wasn't aching in weird places when I got home. Also I was almost afraid to breath because I was convinced I was being so so loud but that was all in my head too. I was a bit of an awkward one! If you're doing any of these, it makes running so much harder and you'll end up gasping after a few seconds.

Advertisement