Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did RTE stop showing games?

• 17-08-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Go to 4:40

Never realised RTE showed live games before.

Did RTE always have games from the Premiership? That clip looks like its from the 06 season. When and why did they stop?

I'd love if they had a few games free to air now but I doubt that would ever happen again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep. Had full Saturday 3pm games in the 1990's with a 10 minute delay. There was a gap in this for a few years, then there was another run of it circa 2003 - 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep. Had full Saturday 3pm games in the 1990's with a 10 minute delay. There was a gap in this for a few years, then there was another run of it circa 2003 - 2006.

Fecksake I was born in the wrong era! :pac: . Probably showed United and Liverpool games too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Sports Stadium ... ah they were the good old days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rte were able to afford the sub-license fee for the games. Not anymore though, and havn't been for ages.

Their Saturday evening show was the best it has been for some time, and obviously that's gone now as well as they can't compete for the sub-license. And they have also lost Champions league where again they cannot afford the sub-license cost from BT sport, with TV3 stumping up I believe. And ITV(which Sky viewers can get)

The only "tax" or payment I genuinely despise paying, is my Tv license. As I know all it goes to is propping up a bloated company with inflated wages for the "talent". although plenty in Rte and around probably chuffed the Premier League is disappearing from RTE, so there can be more LOI games( licensee fee pennies) and GAA stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

deadybai wrote: »
    Fecksake I was born in the wrong era! :pac: . Probably showed United and Liverpool games too ?

iirc the games mainly involved mid table teams though i could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It was the exact same as Setanta's 3pm lineup of matches really.

It wasn't too often (especially then) that Man United/Liverpool would be playing at 3pm on Saturdays. Usually got matches of quality such as Newcastle vs West Ham and Man City vs Aston Villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

TheDoc wrote: »
    And they have also lost Champions league where again they cannot afford the sub-license cost from BT sport, with TV3 stumping up I believe. And ITV(which Sky viewers can get)

RTE still have the Wednesday night Champions League matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I remember when they were live, no 30 minute delay!

Chelsea 2 - 5 Liverpool, Jaysus we battered them at the bridge and scored some crackers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

deadybai wrote: »

Fecks sake, I'm afraid to ask how old are you? You don't remember when RTE last showed games! :eek:

I need to lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Those were they days alright.

IIRC RTE showed the Liverpool v Arsenal title decider live as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I'll always remember watching the infamous Utd v Sheff Wed game in '93 on RTE. We were holidaying in caravan park and a handful of us kids watching it in the TV room. We went ape**** when Bruce scored that winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Super-Rush wrote: »

Thomas charging through the midfield :D

Was great watching Saturday 3pm games on RTE.

It sure did beat watching ceefax pages turning for 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Saint & Greavesie at 1pm
    Live football on RTE at 3pm

Those were the days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I remember watching the matches in the 90s used to be great. Such a pity Rte couldn't keep up showing the 3 pm kick offs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

When you think about it, it was a massive coup for RTE at the time considering 3 pm league kickoffs were never shown across the pond. And this was a time before high speed internet and dodgy boxes.

/wipes nostalgic tear away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Rte were able to afford the sub-license fee for the games. Not anymore though, and havn't been for ages.

Their Saturday evening show was the best it has been for some time, and obviously that's gone now as well as they can't compete for the sub-license. And they have also lost Champions league where again they cannot afford the sub-license cost from BT sport, with TV3 stumping up I believe. And ITV(which Sky viewers can get)

The only "tax" or payment I genuinely despise paying, is my Tv license. As I know all it goes to is propping up a bloated company with inflated wages for the "talent". although plenty in Rte and around probably chuffed the Premier League is disappearing from RTE, so there can be more LOI games( licensee fee pennies) and GAA stuff.

Why should RTE show the premier league,champions league etc when it is easily available on UK TV which everyone in Ireland can access.

Considering it has minimal Irish participation they don't really have much obligation to show it.

There was a load of nonsense around the time they stopped showing the premiership highlights about what a loss it was an they shouldn't have let it happen and yet since then I don't think I've hear one person say they've missed that show.

If they stopped showing these things it must have meant they weren't making a profit for the company (as no business would ever drop something if it was making them money) and if their not making a profit then they really shouldn't be showing it as it isn't a necessary public service like the news etc is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

rte never showed it-twas a friday night on itv or htv down here in cork multi channel land

brian moore-its up for grabs now its there

as a utd fan I was delighted to see lolpool lose it :P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And they have also lost Champions league where again they cannot afford the sub-license cost from BT sport, with TV3 stumping up I believe. And ITV(which Sky viewers can get)

So much wrong with that. RTÉ will be showing live Champions League on Wednesdays with TV3 showing a live game on Tuesdays. The only difference now is the games won't be exclusive meaning Setanta can show the same game. They didn't sublet anything from BT as RTÉ, TV3 and Setanta paid UEFA for the Irish broadcasting rights.

Setanta however will have coverage on their own channels and will also show BT Sport coverage.

ITV will have Champions League highlights and no more. All games will be on BT Sport in the UK. They will be making some games available FTA on a Freeview only channel.
    Why should RTE show the premier league,champions league etc when it is easily available on UK TV which everyone in Ireland can access.

Which everyone in Ireland can access at a premium. There is no live Premier League or Champions League on widely available free UK television channels.

Sports Stadium ... ah they were the good old days :)

clip in there when we beat germany in germany-last good game of ball we played

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »
    I remember watching the matches in the 90s used to be great. Such a pity Rte couldn't keep up showing the 3 pm kick offs

nah it was crap they had ger canning on commentary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

If they stopped showing these things it must have meant they weren't making a profit for the company (as no business would ever drop something if it was making them money) and if their not making a profit then they really shouldn't be showing it as it isn't a necessary public service like the news etc is.
    They stopped showing it when it became prohibitively expensive for the license. It's the same reason that the BBC sell Match Of The Day to North American TV networks, additional revenue is required to subsidise the costs involved.

Licensing sporting events coverage was always one of the reasons given for the TV license fee hikes in Ireland - TV3, ITV and Sky now carry the majority of the sports. RTE retain the rights for most of the GAA coverage, but I imagine that will also change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

rte never showed it-twas a friday night on itv or htv down here in cork multi channel land

brian moore-its up for grabs now its there

as a utd fan I was delighted to see lolpool lose it :P:P

Are you sure because we never had any of the English stations until 96 or 97 and I do remember watching the whole game at home.

Talisman wrote: »
    They stopped showing it when it became prohibitively expensive for the license. It's the same reason that the BBC sell Match Of The Day to North American TV networks, additional revenue is required to subsidise the costs involved.

Licensing sporting events coverage was always one of the reasons given for the TV license fee hikes in Ireland - TV3, ITV and Sky now carry the majority of the sports. RTE retain the rights for most of the GAA coverage, but I imagine that will also change.

So they weren't able to make enough money out of it which is a fairly legitimate reason to drop the coverage.

lertsnim wrote: »

Which everyone in Ireland can access at a premium. There is no live Premier League or Champions League on widely available free UK television channels.

The EPL isn't an Irish sporting competition so we really shouldn't feel any entitlement to be able to see it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

nah it was crap they had ger canning on commentary

The corner back knocks it long to the full forward

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are you sure because we never had any of the English stations until 96 or 97 and I do remember watching the whole game at home.

I'm pretty sure it was only on ITV. Your mind must be playing tricks on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Going to hijack this thread briefly, for which I apologise in advance. But my question isn't really worthy of a separate thread. Why have TV3 and RTE (seemingly) given up on FA Cup coverage? I'd have thought (possibly mistakenly), with it being available on terrestrial television in the UK, that the rights wouldn't be as expensive as PL games. It's not been shown over here in donkey's years now, which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

5starpool wrote: »

It was definitely on Network 2, 100% certain.

I watched it myself in Mayo.
    We did not get "the English channels" I our house till '92.

From the late '80s up to the Premiership start RTE had 3pm kickoffs.

Then for the first few years of the premiership they had delayed coverage, 3.30 starts.

Then then the 3pm starts reappeared for a few years in the mid '00s.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    It's the same reason that the BBC sell Match Of The Day to North American TV networks, additional revenue is required to subsidise the costs involved.

The BBC doesn't sell MOTD to North American networks. NBC paid a fortune to the Premier League directly for exclusive television and online rights in the United States. Just to point out, the BBC sublet the name Match of the Day to NBC. None of the programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

blueser wrote: »
    Going to hijack this thread briefly, for which I apologise in advance. But my question isn't really worthy of a separate thread. Why have TV3 and RTE (seemingly) given up on FA Cup coverage? I'd have thought (possibly mistakenly), with it being available on terrestrial television in the UK, that the rights wouldn't be as expensive as PL games. It's not been shown over here in donkey's years now, which is a shame.

The final was on TV3 this year. Almost sure for the rest of the rounds the rights are owned by Setanta. The ratings might not justify the expense of the rights which could still be quiet high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The delayed coverage games were memorable for a few bits of nostalgia.

a) Pre mobiles phone it should have been possible to watch a partially delayed match in the pub without being spoilered, however even back then there existed spoilering knuts whose greatest jape of the week was to stroll into the pub and announce that Beckham was about to score. Used to cause absolute war in the pub, some pubs even did 'locked doors'.
    b) The RTE second half skip - on a 30 minute delay but they sometimes wanted it to be done and dusted by 5pm for scheduling, so the second half was often characterized by butchering if there was a 10 minute segment without a goal that they could thus cut. There was no clock in the corner of the screen so you'd just be left with the 'hey that second half was really short' feeling when the fulltime whistle blew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I wonder is there a case foR RTE to be showing the championship? seeing as there's a lot of Irish players plying their trade there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I wonder is there a case foR RTE to be showing the championship? seeing as there's a lot of Irish players plying their trade there.

Would you watch it? Sky don't show too much of it in a much bigger market, so I doubt it would have demand.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Would you watch it? Sky don't show too much of it in a much bigger market, so I doubt it would have demand.

Sky will show what they are allowed to. If more games were offered I am sure they'd have no problem showing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

I thought Sky had Championship games on the whole time? Everytime I go to my friends house he has it on . From watching it over there I find it more enjoyable than the premier league. Great atmosphere and majority of players are from the British Isles. Bit like the Premiership back in the day.

I think the thing is though that not many people in Ireland support a Championship team. Even though I prefer the Championship I still wouldnt care if I missed a match but I would if I missed a Man Utd match. If I had a team that I supported Id watch it on Rte every week. Whereas now I would only turn it on if I wasnt doing anything.

I think thats the problem. I think if they got the 12.30 kick offs that would be the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I would be more concerned that if he remembers the match that would make him in his 30's at least and yet even if joking using that name to describe Liverpool :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sky have 112 football league games over the 3 divisions you can bet that most of those will be from the Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It was definitely on Network 2, 100% certain.

You're quite right Fr Tod. I remember George Hamilton's commentary well, and George getting very excited when Michael Thomas scored the winner, being an Arsenal fan himself.

My best memories of earlier-days tv coverage are of FA Cup games, especially the finals, and those epic semi finals around the early 90s. United v Oldham and Liverpool v Palace in 1990 springs to mind,as does the final of that same year and also Tottenham v Coventry in 87, the crazy gang pulling off a major shock in 88 etc There was a novelty and an excitement about watching a live tv game in those days, that has been diluted by today's saturation coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I remember one Saturday it was the season when West Brom were bottom at Christmas and survived. Towards the end of the season RTE were showing one match between mid table teams with nothing to play for. Half way through the game the decided to cut away from that game and Started showing a completely different game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I remember one Saturday it was the season when West Brom were bottom at Christmas and survived. Towards the end of the season RTE were showing one match between mid table teams with nothing to play for. Half way through the game the decided to cut away from that game and Started showing a completely different game.

It was probably during the SundIreland era.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Not at all. Aside from little to no interest in the league, there's a perfectly good football league (LOI) in our own island that's almost entirely Irish players, there's four Irish provinces which again are full of almost entirely Irish players and there's the GAA which has almost entirely all Irish players too. Probably not the thread to get into this debate as it's just a bit of harmless nostalgia, but we should be supporting our own sports, rather than paying our own money to show a foreign countries league, so that they can grow and we stay static.

TV stations are businesses and can't run at losses, but as RTE is the state broadcaster, it should, I feel anyway, have an obligation to help Irish sport out when possible.

Not at all. Aside from little to no interest in the league, there's a perfectly good football league (LOI) in our own island that's almost entirely Irish players, there's four Irish provinces which again are full of almost entirely Irish players and there's the GAA which has almost entirely all Irish players too. Probably not the thread to get into this debate as it's just a bit of harmless nostalgia, but we should be supporting our own sports, rather than paying our own money to show a foreign countries league, so that they can grow and we stay static.

TV stations are businesses and can't run at losses, but as RTE is the state broadcaster, it should, I feel anyway, have an obligation to help Irish sport out when possible.

Meh Irish sports as in GAA I found boring and do not like. I would love to be able to watch the Championship on rte. LOI even though I go to a few games a year, I just find it such a low standard of football I would prefer watch championship over LOI :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Meh Irish sports as in GAA I found boring and do not like. I would love to be able to watch the Championship on rte. LOI even though I go to a few games a year, I just find it such a low standard of football I would prefer watch championship over LOI :o

Not having a dig at you here, but your post is quite indicative of the problems of the modern day sports fan. Seems to be a culture imported from America where people have a 'bigger, stronger, faster, right here right now' attitude to sport. So what if it's not as good as the Championship (it's not that much lower either), it's our league. We're Irish. If Brazil are playing Argentina and Ireland are playing Albania in qualifiers, I'll watch Ireland play. The standard of football will probably be muck compared to Brazil.

I don't want to get into an LOI vs the rest debate before people jump on me, I don't support any soccer team as there isn't a local team for me, but I'm simply stating that RTE, as the state broadcaster, should have a duty to help out Irish sports by showing them, when possible.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No matter what anyone thinks the 'duty' of a broadcaster is, then aside from what they are obliged to show in terms of having a homegrown quota of programmes, channels will show aht makes sense from a commercial and ratings point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No matter what anyone thinks the 'duty' of a broadcaster is, then aside from what they are obliged to show in terms of having a homegrown quota of programmes, channels will show aht makes sense from a commercial and ratings point of view.

And Brentford v Brighton does not make commercial sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

RTE do not rely on viewers, and get a mandatory licence fee.
    Obviously this enables them (theoretically) to not need to show stuff to get high ratings, and can show items of more national relevance.

English soccer clearly is not a priority, rightly so I think.

Advertisement