Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from GTX 670 to ???

Options
  • 17-08-2015 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Currently playing at 1080p, will be moving to 1440p within the next 12 months but can upgrade now for GPU??? Best at the mo????

I'd like to stick with NVIDIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

GTX 970 is lowest card for 1440p60fps at Ultra. 960 would be alright too, but a good bit weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd sit tight until November/December until we know what'll be needed for the HTC Vive and new oculus.
    Gtx 970 might do, but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

So i was looking at the MSI 980 ti??? I've an i5 3570k oc to 4.2Ghz, 120GB SSD, 1 TB HD, 8 GB RAM and a 650W PSU.

Would I run a 980 ti with that PSU and setup?

PS 1440p 120Hz ISP monitor recommendation within budget??? Not sure if this is even out there yet in terms of budget?

The 980Ti is probably a good call. You're looking at €700+ for the monitor unless you get one of the korean ones from ebay.

Yeah the monitors are savage money atm. Best place to buy the 980 ti??? Also, will a 650W PSU handle that?

• Advertisement

Amazon is probably a good bet. Alternate.de or mindfactory should be grand too.

Use Curiua.com to find cheapest Amazon.

And yeah 650w is loads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

390 is faster and cheaper than the 970, especially at 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Gumbi wrote: »
    390 is faster and cheaper than the 970, especially at 1440p.

Its worth mentioning that the power consumption of these cards has been improved alot too. Not as good as nividia but not too far off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Its worth mentioning that the power consumption of these cards has been improved alot too. Not as dood as nividia but not too far off either.

The power consumption is pretty much identical to the 290(x) series. They use a tad less due to BIOS tweaks, but the architecture is the same so the difference is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I thought they had dropped it by 10% ish?
    I will dig out link later. On phone atm

• Advertisement

Including shipping, the MSI 980 TI GAMING card is coming in at a whopping €850.

Scan isn't much better at €810.

Is there anywhere else cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Mindfactory (through Geizhals) is €740 ex. shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Be prepared to wait, 980 ti can be difficult to get in stock.

Advertisement