Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Suggestions for a cruiser

• 17-08-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭

Currently looking at getting a cruiser,roundabout 600-700cc. I've been riding a Yamaha dragstar 250 but lately it's feeling like I've outgrown it.
    Would anyone have suggestions for a reliable and affordable cruiser that's easily available in Ireland? Kawasaki Vulcan S, Yamaha Dragstar etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What's your budget?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you I was in your position I would get a 600 naked bike like a Hornet, SV650, Fazer or a Street Triple . More natural riding postion, cheaper and way better handling and performance. They will run rings around a 1800cc cruiser.

Majority of cruisers are overweight and underpowered.

Ducati Diavel is very cool though when they don't undergo spontaneous combustion.

I went from a dragstar 125 to a dragstar 650. Grand bike but if I was doing it over again I would go for a bandit or fazer 600 for exactly the reasons listed above. More comfortable and far more versatile than any cruiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I would have to agree with the handling aspect. I'm a die hard HD owner who while the HD was off the road bought a Bandit, the handling difference was massive. I've done a few sessions of advance driving on the Bandit and it massively helped with my handling of the HD. I'd not say that there over weight and underpowered, depends on the model in fairness. If you've your heart set on a cruiser then try out a few different seating position, forward controls, seat height etc cause they can make or break a bike and some day when you sit and drive a non cruiser you'll notice the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Thanks for the replies.

I did my test on a Suzuki bandit did my IBT on a Fazer. Both were lovely bikes but I prefer cruisers and would be more interested in one than a standard.

Budget would be around €3-4k for a used model although if there's any particularly nice new models around, I'd be willing to go for them, although would probably need finance to make up the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If you like cruisers then maybe look at something over 1000cc. Probably will take you longer to outgrow them. I can't imagine insurance would be much of an issue.

There's a few Vulcans on DD near your price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Pugzilla wrote: »
    If you like cruisers then maybe look at something over 1000cc. Probably will take you longer to outgrow them. I can't imagine insurance would be much of an issue.

There's a few Vulcans on DD near your price range.

The Kawasaki VN1600 is a seriously solid machine. I had one for 2 years and it never skipped a beat. They also did a 1500 but its a little dated now.

Unfortunately there's nothing in-between the 900 and 1500 from them

I believe Honda did a Shadow 1100 and its a nice enough yoke which can be picked up for very little. Apart from that in the size ball park you're stuck with some American brand, their name escapes me though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

KTR1C wrote: »
    The Kawasaki VN1600 is a seriously solid machine. I had one for 2 years and it never skipped a beat. They also did a 1500 but its a little dated now.

Unfortunately there's nothing in-between the 900 and 1500 from them

I believe Honda did a Shadow 1100 and its a nice enough yoke which can be picked up for very little. Apart from that in the size ball park you're stuck with some American brand, their name escapes me though :pac:

Also, Suzuki have a few different types of Intruder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chippy01

If you can stretch your budget ......... get one of these babies ..... http://www.bikebuyersguide.ie/honda/North-Dublin-Motorcycles_Honda-Valcyrie--F6C--1500?page=3

Advertisement