Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tallaght???

Options
  • 17-08-2015 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

First off, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread, I'm new to the property section of boards.

Just wondering about Tallaght. I'm a 25 year old guy moving up from Galway to start as a trainee solicitor. Obviously the cost of rent is very high and my roommate can't really afford to spend too much on rent. We found the following place and are very happy with it.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/tallaght/cross-west-tallaght-dublin-1558864/

Price is good. The apartment itself is beautiful. It's right on the redline which is perfect for me. The only thing I'm unsure of is Tallaght as an area. What is the prevailing view regarding the area. I'm not a particularly nervous guy or anything so I wouldn't be put off by rowdy young lads or small things like that. Just looking for some info on the area.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Patser

It's right beside the Square, hospital - all part of huge modern developments that were finished just as the bust hit. So they've been sitting idle for years. It's only now with the new housing crisis people are moving in.

What this means is;

Not in a historically dodgy area of Tallaght, it's all new tenants, so hasn't developed a personality yet.

Very central to all you need. The people moving in now, has lead to restaurants that sat idle there reopening. So you've new bars and restaurants there, but they're still new and can be hit and miss vibe wise (empty 1 night, packed the next)

You do have the LUAS right beside you too.

But there's still a risk that rather than professionals and students moving in, you'll get a lot of cheap renters cramming in, given the social housing shortage.

Go have a look, see is it worth it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Tallaght is a pretty big area which you'll be right in the centre of. I'd guess there's probably as many people live in Tallaght as they do in Galway city for example.

There are some dodgy spots there all right but also some fairly normal spots too.

You could always ask the estate agent about the make up of tenants in the place you're moving into and what % of social housing will be living there.

Other than that a spin out in the car some night just to see what it's like yourself will put your mind to rest.

The apt does look pretty nice too, nice and high up. I'd say it'd be a great spot to put up a big banner saying how much you love Water Charges and Joan Burton :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

It's fine. Don't look for trouble and trouble won't look for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Looks lovely , best of luck in your studying

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

You'll be fine, the bad parts of tallaght I wouldn't even class as tallaght really as they're more down the citywest end. Plenty to do, easily accessible, right across from the square and a nice apartment.

No brainer really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

S12b wrote: »
    First off, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong thread, I'm new to the property section of boards.

Just wondering about Tallaght. I'm a 25 year old guy moving up from Galway to start as a trainee solicitor. Obviously the cost of rent is very high and my roommate can't really afford to spend too much on rent. We found the following place and are very happy with it.

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/tallaght/cross-west-tallaght-dublin-1558864/

Price is good. The apartment itself is beautiful. It's right on the redline which is perfect for me. The only thing I'm unsure of is Tallaght as an area. What is the prevailing view regarding the area. I'm not a particularly nervous guy or anything so I wouldn't be put off by rowdy young lads or small things like that. Just looking for some info on the area.

Where are you studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

syklops wrote: »
    Where are you studying?

My time will be split between Blackhall and a law firm in Grand Canal

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

My time will be split between Blackhall and a law firm in Grand Canal

Considering the cost so, that'll be grand for you. Plaza/McDonalds just down the way can get a little lively when they let out on the weekends. More boisterous than trouble though.

Transport wise, Luas will bring you nearly to Blackhall, or to Connolly for a train to GC. You're close to plenty of shops cafes pub etc. Theatre and excellent library are two minutes walk. I'd very happily live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

This area is grand I own an apartment there since 2008 it has 24/7 security there is no trouble at all its very central and is currently owned by Comer Properties who will be allowing any anti social behavior, its is also going to be the central area in Tallaght when finished in 2016 with it being the centre of excellence for some medical areas which will be in the units around the complex.
    I moved out in 2012 but have my apartment rented to a girl 3 years now and she loves it there best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Hi,
    Were you able to rent this apartment in tallaght? Can you say how's the area?

• Advertisement

kevincool wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes my apartment has been rented since 2012 I had to move out due to disturbances from a pub / restaurant never getting a wink of sleep then 6 months later the pub closed but I have never had a problem renting it out within the first hour of the ad going up back in 2012 & 2013 I had 30 emails.
    Its a one bed and I have been advised I can ask for between 900-1000 per month for it but I have a great tenant so I have given her a discount and only ask for 740 it suits me as it pays my expenses ie. mortgage, life assurance and property fee.

kevincool wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry just seen the part about the area, Tallaght is grand to live in I am from Millbrook Lawns and have owned this apt since 2009. There are some bad parts like everywhere and if you PM me I can tell you them I would not like to post public in case I offend anyone but when I say bad I just mean some parts are not as nice as others.
    The area of Broadfield itself or Alexander Hall is lovely, its really quiet has 24/7 security the library, shops nearby with cinema you are 40 mins from town with the Luas right on your door I was happy living there apart from the pub noise which is now gone.
    Its owned by Comer Properties who are investing alot of money into the area there should be a medical centre of excellance there in 2016 plus cafe's and a bistro as far as I was told.
    I would live there again no problem the only thing stopping me is that I have lots of animals now so cant move back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭joe_six_cans

tallaght is bigger than many cities in ireland , its stupid how it gets such a broad brush treatment , its very good value considering all the ameneties and luas transport link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

tallaght is bigger than many cities in ireland , its stupid how it gets such a broad brush treatment , its very good value considering all the ameneties and luas transport link

Bray suffers the same. Brraaayyyy, Jaysus, Brayruit Wha!?!? People don't seem to realise its the 9th largest distinct urban area in the country after Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Drogheda, Dundalk and Swords. And Tallaght is even bigger with nearly double the population. A couple of estates in Tallaght or Bray seem to garner these townlands the broad brush treatment and yet it would be the equivalent of not recommending Deansgrange as a desirable SoCoDu location because of a housing estate in Ballybrack or Sallynoggin. Same size geograhical spread and population yet the whole of South East County Dublin doesn't get a Rep but the whole of Bray or Tallaght does. I think the problem is Bray is a distinct town and Tallaght is a very new town (decades old rather than centuries) Bray and Tallaght are catch all names for large geographical area's whereas SeCoDu crime reporting is portioned out to all the old village (Now SeCoDu suburbs) areas rather than SeCoDu as a whole. Gun Crime reported in Sallynoggin doesn't create a negative view of Deansgrange etc despite being closer areas than areas on either side of Bray or Tallaght.

Advertisement