Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard/CPU/Graphics card upgrade

Options
  • 17-08-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Really only looking for motherboard/cpu upgrade opinions, but have filled this in for compatibility issues.

1. What is your budget? [€500]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming - looking to upgrade in time for Autumn for the likes of Fallout 4, MGS5, Witcher 3, Far Cry 4)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No, not if I can use the free Win 10 upgrade on my current system?]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?

[I have two SSD's i'll be re-using, can't run them in Sata3 mode now due to my mobo.

I have 16gb of DDR3 which I want to re-use with new mobo if possible. Its Corsair XMS3 (CMX8GX3M1A1600C11)

Current gpu is a AMD 7950 3gb, bought in 2013. Budget isnt going to allow for a new card more than likely so can keep this for now if need be.

My old DVD drive is fine. I don't want a Bluray drive really.

I have an 800watt good quality PSU which is fine.

I'll re-use my case, would only need to change for vanity reasons, and I can't afford it!
    ]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No, my current 24" lcd will do for now.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1200 - 16:10] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [None needed.]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Not really. Apart from light graphics card OC'ing via the driver software, I don't bother with it.]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Next 6 weeks]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Self build]

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

ATX case is it?

What are you upgrading from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yes ATX. Core i7 920 / Asus P6T Delux V2, i put it together in '09.

An i3 4160 with a B85 or H97 board will set you back about €200 and be a good upgrade, or an i5 4460 with the same board would cost about €260 or so.

Really no need in an i7 for gaming.

Thanks DS.
    Had a look at some reviews of those chips on Amazon, is there anything to consider with those i5's when it comes to the integrated graphics thing with them?

Also would it be smarter to keep away from the "k" chips and put saved money plus what I could get for selling my old card into buying a new card. I think that would probably give a more noticeable performance gain over a more expensive chip with the same card?

Not sure what you're asking about the integrated graphics.

The k series chips are just overclockable, not really useful on a mid range machine like yours.

An overclocked i7 wouldn't be much faster than an i3 in the majority of cases, the GPU makes a much bigger difference nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

An i5-4460 or 4690 and motherboard is all you need, the HD7950 is still a very good card and to be making a worthwhile upgrade from that, you'd be looking at €300-€350 on a R9 290 or GTX970.

€500 is a strong budget, if you factor in about €120 from selling the 7950, €600 is a good budget for an R9 290, i5-4460 and H81 board.

Or else keep the 7950 for now and get a nice case...

Of course the i7 920 and motherboard are still worth a bit now as well, so really you've plenty of play with.

Fair enough so, if its overclockability then I will happily steer clear of them and save abit of cash.

As far as I know these chips with the integrated gpu are pointless for gaming so they can be avoided if possible, or are they a now standard on most i5's?

Thinking I will go with the 4460/H97, its a good value upgrade alright. Still well within budget and could possibly re-coup €100 plus on my 7950. I don't normally go above the €200 mark for a graphics card. Any recommendations for a card in that bracket or am I as well sticking with it since I cant/wont stretch to the 300 quid mark.

Pretty much all the core series have integrated graphics now.

R9 280X is a slight upgrade. I got an R9 290 for €200 on Adverts a few weeks ago so if you can pick one of them up, go for it

TerrorFirmer - Yeah thats what I was thinking about my card. It will cost a bit to move up from that, even while re-couping a bit from selling. Im not dead set on getting rid of 5-600. If I have to spend silly money on a card upgrade to get any gain, I think I will leave it for now. €200 is just a figure i dont like to spend much more on when it comes to graphics cards and Ive always been able to get good bang for the buck cards from ATI/AMD over the years.

Ive seen second hand first gen 920's going for 30 quid on ebay, what would you reckon I should be hoping to get for the two together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You should be able to get €100 for the pair I would say.

There is no card in the €200 price range worth upgrading to, north of 200 brings you to 280X and GTX960 territory - faster cards than the HD7950 but poor upgrades from a 7950 overall. You might be looking at about 15% performance increase. If you're looking to spend as little as possible the R9 290 @ around 300 is the logical step.

All the normal i5's have integrated graphics.

• Advertisement

Yeah, think I will hold onto the 7950 for the moment and think about changing it at a later stage. Might bag myself a nice case instead, as you said.

About the motherboards, am I right in saying the B and H listed boards are non overclockable while the only difference with the Z's is that they are overclockable? Im not seeing a major price difference on Amazon, in fact theres a Z97 popping up for 58 sterling while equivalent H boards are even slightly more. I assume it's grand to go with a something like this then, just to have the option open to me, since the money isnt an issue?

The one you've linked is H97.

It's also only got 2 RAM slots, which may not suit your configuration if you're 4x4

Linked the wrong one! This was what I was looking at.

I have two 8 gig sticks anyway. Just thinking since this is cheaper, it might suit just as well.

Thats the board I've got, it's fairly solid. Might as well pick it up for the price yeah

Thanks for the tips so far lads. Have decided to keep my 7950 and OC it a little maybe. Had a 5850 a few years back which I got a decent OC out of and Ive read this card has similar potential.

I've went with a new case. Always liked the look of the Zalman Z11 Plus but can't get one on Amazon with free delivery so just went with the Z11 HF1 which i think is the same bar the led colour!
    Also picked up the Gigabyte Z97 motherboard that I linked to before.
    Going to leave it at that for now, offload some of my own stuff and look at the CPU again in early September. Im in two minds about it. If the difference between a k series and a standard was a lot more than 50 quid, I'd be just buying the standard, but since its not, Im tempted to move up to the 4690k, since I have this mobo now. I'll see......

Not sure if anyone would know this but I have an aftermarket cooler in my own pc which is supposed to be suitable for LGA 1366 and 1155 - Would that be reuseable on 1150?

Advertisement