Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To The Irish Baseball Team Captain

Options
  • 17-08-2015 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Baseball Ireland, the National Governing Body of baseball here in Ireland, is proud to be hosting the first International Baseball Festival at the new Baseball Centre in Ashbourne, Co Meath. The tournament, which kicks off this week and runs through to Sunday, will see teams from Mexico, the USA, Belgium and Netherlands take on the senior and youth Irish National Baseball Teams. This week will also see a youth camp being held at the field with players from the National Team providing coaching for the kids, which kicks off today (Monday) and runs through the 19th.

During the festival, food and beer will be available at the ballpark. There is no entry fee and plenty of seating and parking for everyone to enjoy a game no matter where you are coming from.

To help celebrate the first tournament at Baseball Ireland’s new International Baseball Centre, the captain of the Irish National Baseball Team, Darran O’Connor, will be on until Wednesday to answer any questions you might have about anything baseball related, whether it be here in Ireland or abroad!

For more on this week’s festivities please see the official tournament flyer below for dates and times of games. A map to the Ashbourne Field can be found here.

You can also find out more about baseball in Ireland by visiting their website www.baseballireland.com, or follow them on Twitter @baseballireland or on Facebook at Baseball Ireland.

358934.jpg

So as mentioned, Darran will be with us until Wednesday (and maybe beyond) - he's got a tournament to help run and a team to captain! :) So if you've any questions about the sport, how it works, how to join and so on, please post them here for him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Did you play rounders in school?

• Company Representative Posts: 27 Verified rep Baseball Ireland: Darran

> Did you play rounders in school?

Hi scudzilla, I'm sure we played some sort of rounders at one stage - nothing official though. I played hurling up to under 15s which definitely helped with hand eye co-ordination. Hurlers can adapt to the Baseball swing quite quickly, its different but the power is transferable. Rounders is officially part of the GAA and we played a couple of challenge games with them over the years, it was a bit of craic but they are quite different games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Do you follow MLB rules, if so American League or National League?
    What is your favorite MLB team?

> Do you follow MLB rules, if so American League or National League?

Hi LenaClaire, we use International Baseball Federation (IBAF) rules with some small localisations for practicality. Basically these are very similar to American League where we have the Designated Hitter (DH) rule but we also allow an Extra Hitter (EH) in the batting line up.

> What is your favorite MLB team?

It's hard to pick one since I've never had the time to follow one - with so many games a season I struggle to see how fans keep up! I do feel a connection with the Red Sox - we had the honor of playing in Fenway Park in 2001 as part of an amazing exchange program with a team from Rhode Island. That is the sort of thing you don't forget! Also, my brother is living in San Francisco and gets to see the Giants whenever he can. They've been an exciting team over the last few years so I'll cheer for them too.

In the old days some of the guys had videos posted across from the States with recordings of games. MLB TV has changed all that!

Have you got a team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Do you ever see Baseball being a mainstream sport in Ireland? Are there many pitches in Ireland?

• Advertisement

> Do you ever see Baseball being a mainstream sport in Ireland?

In a word - no. Ireland has so many sports that Baseball will always be a minority sport. That said, we set our goals accordingly. I remember asking myself a few years ago what was I doing playing a sport like Baseball in Ireland! Then I looked back at all the things I've been able to do because I played Baseball I realised that I wouldn't have been able to do them in any other sport. I want to make sure that other kids get that chance. Someday we might get a few kids into US Colleges to play College Baseball... and then who knows. Historically, the Irish played a huge part of Major League baseball maybe someday we'll have an Irish kid there again.

> Are there many pitches in Ireland?

Facilities are key to building the sport. When we started out we played on the edge of football pitches and got moved on when the matches started. Up to now, our main Baseball Facility has been at Corkagh Park, Clondalkin where the ex Dodgers owner Peter O'Malley helped us build an adult and youth field. These are great and helped us get off the ground. Since then clubs have been developing facilities. In Shankill we have Black Sox Park, in Greystones there is a youth field, in Belfast there is work underway for a new field. The latest development has been in Ashbourne where the International Baseball Centre opened its doors two weeks ago. Its a huge step forward for us and the park is amazing. I've had the chance to play in some great ballparks and this is right up there. This is where we'll host the International Baseball festival this week - the atmosphere will make you think you're at a ballpark across the pond. We've even included the hotdogs and beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Do you have any additional responsibility being captain eg do you decide if a batter gets walked?

> Do you have any additional responsibility being captain eg do you decide if a batter gets walked?

Hi ClashCityRocker, interesting question and interesting example! Generally this would come down to a mangers decision rather than a captain or player. He'd give the catcher clear direction to intentionally walk the hitter. Thankfully this doesn't happen too often - its usually the lesser of two evils to let a guy on base for free but it can happen. In my experience it tends to backfire but I understand why its done.

In general, as Captain, my responsibilities are 1) Lead the team by setting an example 2) giving feedback to coaches/manager/players 3) monitoring team morale and making positive interventions. That sounds a bit 'grand' altogether but I think it sums it up. Oh, and I occasionally get to represent the team on Boards.ie ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

In the old days some of the guys had videos posted across from the States with recordings of games. MLB TV has changed all that!

Have you got a team?

I love MLB TV. My team is the Cubs. They have a shot at the playoffs this year :)

Who does your team usually play against? How many teams are there within Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Hi Darran,

As someone who knows only little about the sport, but who lives near the new facility in Ashbourne, I have to say that you guys have done a marvelous job there. I wandered over during your opening day and was amazed with what you done.

I hope that you've many successful days there. Best of luck for the future.

I shall be dropping in for here on in to see whats going on.

(still have to figure out the scoring/innings side of things though)

• Advertisement

> Who does your team usually play against?

The Irish National Team compete at European Qualifiers every two years (If Baseball gets back into the Olympics then the European Qualifiers become Olympic qualifiers.) The best of the European teams will get invited to the World Baseball Classic. We're a couple of levels away from that. Our first Euros were in England in 1996 and last year the team were in Slovenia. In the in-between years we try to have competitions or events that bring teams to Ireland or bring the team away. This year the big event is International Baseball Festival in Ashbourne where teams from US, Mexico and Belgium will compete against the National Team.

> How many teams are there within Ireland?

On the domestic adult scene, we have 4 teams in the top division and 8 teams in the second division. This allows for really high level competition in the top division while the second division gives new players a chance to take part - its also a good transition for the youth players. The teams in Ireland are made up of players from Ireland and all over the world.

Hi Darran,

As someone who knows only little about the sport, but who lives near the new facility in Ashbourne, I have to say that you guys have done a marvelous job there. I wandered over during your opening day and was amazed with what you done.

I hope that you've many successful days there. Best of luck for the future.

I shall be dropping in for here on in to see whats going on.

(still have to figure out the scoring/innings side of things though)

Thanks for the feedback lovelyhurler! Make sure to pop in for a look during this week/weekend festival if you get a chance. The schedule is above so you'll know when the games are on.

As for keeping score and tracking the innings... it looks far more complicated than it is! A game is 9 innings long (around 2 or 3 hours). An inning gives both teams an opportunity to bat. Once a team makes 3 'Outs' their turn is over in that inning (an 'out' can be a strikeout, a catch or getting the ball to the base ahead of the runner and some others). Getting someone around all the bases scores a run. Most runs after 9 innings wins!

This weekend we'll have an announcer on the PA to help explain what's going on! Ashbourne Credit Union have also sponsored a scoreboard!

Fancy a go in the batting cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,915 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Have you watched The Toughest Trade where Tommy Walsh stuns the Americans by ditching the glove to catch the ball because he found it easier?

> Have you watched The Toughest Trade where Tommy Walsh stuns the Americans by ditching the glove to catch the ball because he found it easier?

Hi Mars Bar, yeah, I watched that show and thought it was really good. I reckon they could have made a full show on each of the individuals! I'd have loved to see more about the difference in the swing and how to adapt them. Hurlers can struggle initially to adjust to using a baseball glove, rather than catching in the palm of your hand the glove has a web between thumb and index finger. It certainly would have surprised the baseball guys - but then again when they saw him play hurling I'd say they were blown away!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

What's with all the fecking spitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭IamtooGoode

Used to play rounders in the community games all those years ago Lakelands, dublin had some goods teams for many years in teh 1980 and 1990's but ran out of 'young people' to keep the flag flying, they now have an annual sports day in September for teams past and gone … i remember Screen (sorry if the spelling is wrong) and playing in limekiln (again spelling all wrong).. I remember being the bowler against Morreen and I was told that the batters were aiming for me so I had to aim for their knuckles when their hands were over the mat (above the knees and below the neck) … caught a few of them out at point blank range… fun days

Thanks for the reply!

Have you ever been hit in the head with a ball when pitching or elsewhere on the field?

Why isn't there more safety nets in pro ball to protect fans? They seem to put their lives at risk just to catch a ball!

> What's with all the fecking spitting?

That gave me a chuckle, thanks! I don't know how bad a habit it is in our organisation but I certainly have seen some offenders. You've made me think of 3 types of spitters...

1) Those that 'dip' tobacco (squeeze it into the space between gum and cheek) need to spit out the toxic spit that forms in their mouth. If they swallow it they will be sick. Not very common in Ireland and I think its gross.

2) Roasted sunflower seeds are very popular in baseball and results in spitting out the shells, this can look like a spit fest.

3) General sporting spitters. Why do any sports players spit - good question!

The tobacco one is probably the most unique to Baseball and I mean it when I say its gross! I'm pretty sure most leagues have introduced bans on all tobacco products - you wouldn't expect a batter to have a cigarette in his mouth so similarly chewing tobacco is banned.

I remember when I went on to the senior team I was backdtop and to psyche the other team out my manager asked me to stand six feet from the batter each sliothar came at me like bullets so yeah, got whacked a few times and caught a few!

Sorry, short-stop I think

• Advertisement

Used to play rounders in the community games all those years ago Lakelands, dublin had some goods teams for many years in teh 1980 and 1990's but ran out of 'young people' to keep the flag flying, they now have an annual sports day in September for teams past and gone … i remember Screen (sorry if the spelling is wrong) and playing in limekiln (again spelling all wrong).. I remember being the bowler against Morreen and I was told that the batters were aiming for me so I had to aim for their knuckles when their hands were over the mat (above the knees and below the neck) … caught a few of them out at point blank range… fun days

I'm sure I know some of the people you played with - I grew up in Kilmacud. We played our little league baseball in Benildus School in the early 90s. A lot of the rounders players (girls particular) went on to play organised Softball (Softball being a co-ed version of baseball).

Sounds like you had the smarts to be a good pitcher! "Bust them inside" is what you might call the technique to throw close to the batter so they can't get the bat through the hitting zone on time. Baseball is often known as a thinking mans game because there are so many of these types of tactics used. The more you play, the more you watch, the more the game reveals of itself.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane - and I hope you get back out there in September!

> I remember when I went on to the senior team I was backdtop and to psyche the other team out my manager asked me to stand six feet from the batter each sliothar came at me like bullets so yeah, got whacked a few times and caught a few!

> Sorry, short-stop I think

Ehhh... that might be a risk strategy in baseball but I've seen it in cricket! A baseball is a bit heavier than a sliothar too but I'm more worried about a 6ft 4, 16 stone chap standing that close to me with a weapon :-)

> Have you ever been hit in the head with a ball when pitching or elsewhere on the field?

I got hit in the face when a ball took a bad bounce but that was innocent enough. The scariest moment was a fastball to the back of my head. Pitchers in our top league can reach over 80mph with a fast ball. That packs a wallop if you can get out of the way. I was digging in as the batter and the ball came at me like a rocket, i just managed to turn my head and take the impact at the base of back of my batting helmet. I lost the plot and ended up getting thrown out of the game! This is why helmets are mandatory!

> Why isn't there more safety nets in pro ball to protect fans? They seem to put their lives at risk just to catch a ball!

Part of the fun of a ball game is the chance to catch a home run or a 'foul ball'. In pro ball the fans get to keep the souvenir (we can't afford that privilege yet). You're right though, people have died after falling out of seats in their attempts to make a catch. I've heard horror stories of broken bats flying into the crowd like shrapnel. We've plenty of protect at our fields but you always have to keep an eye out for objects leaving the field of play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Who would be your all time fav pitcher and batter.
    I wil make sure to come and visit at some stage.
    Good luck with the venture.

> Who would be your all time fav pitcher and batter.

Hi kupus, thanks for the question, I've a couple of favourites in the Irish domestic league but I'd hate to give them big heads! In the Majors it would probably be someone obvious like Maddux. Although Madison Bumgarner is on fire at the moment - on the mound and with the bat. Maddog and Madbum!

I'm stumped to choose a batter. I remember seeing Ken Griffey Jr hitting videos when I was younger - his swing stood out.

As an infielder, I've always loved watching the spectacular infield plays where these amazing athletes have such huge range and cannons for arms.

Hopefully we get to see a bit of all of this in the Baseball Festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

What is the highest level ever reached by an Irish player? I remember seeing players from a much broader range of countries than one might expect playing A or AA ball (van Mil, for example).

tolosenc wrote: »
    What is the highest level ever reached by an Irish player? I remember seeing players from a much broader range of countries than one might expect playing A or AA ball (van Mil, for example).

Hi, thanks for the question, in modern Baseball I don't think we have had any Irish born players play professional baseball (I'd love if someone was able to correct me). In an earlier post I mentioned that initial success for us would be to have some kids get to play high level college baseball in the States. The competition is incredible and globally there are millions of kids playing a lot of baseball with the dream of playing professionally. In Ireland, the baseball dream is to represent our country!

Plenty of pro players have Irish heritage and if you go back to the late 1800's you find Irish born men who emigrated and become baseball heros. Andy Leonard, Jack Doyle, Patsy Donovan... we name the Irish Player Awards after these guys.

Baseball is more global than you might think. Dutch and Italian leagues are professional - you mention Van Mil... he is 7ft 1in...that makes him a bit special! Most of these leagues/organisations can get players to a certain standard before they enter the US system which is where they take it to a whole other level.

Right now, we've a couple of young guys who are doing their best to get to play in US Colleges. Its a big ask but with enough hard work it might just happen.

Have you been to Asia to watch some Baseball? I've heard that it's massive over there!

> Have you been to Asia to watch some Baseball? I've heard that it's massive over there!

I've never had the privilege, although I've certainly seen some clips online. I agree it looks huge there. There are a lot of players in MLB who've come across from that part of the world and been very successful.

We have players in our leagues from all over the world - did I mention we've got an international baseball festival starting today!? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

I haven’t heard of this before today. I’ll have to keep my eye open to see if any cable companies here in the US will be showing any of it on TV. Baseball runs in my blood. My uncle played in the MLB from 1940 until 1961, and I was a bat-boy for the Phillies at some of their practices. I played as a youth and now coach a girls softball team.

No Irish born players in the majors right now, but here is the history...
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/Ireland_born.shtml

Are any ex-MLB players on the Ireland team?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement