Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now Ye're Talking - To The Irish Baseball Team Captain

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hi Darran,

What would the standard of pitching be like here in Ireland? Would pitchers be able to throw good breaking balls or is it all fastballs? You probably don't have radar guns but what kind of speed would a pitcher in your games reach constantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Did you ever have a team in Cork?

• Company Representative Posts: 27 Verified rep Baseball Ireland: Darran

Amerika wrote: »
    I haven’t heard of this before today. I’ll have to keep my eye open to see if any cable companies here in the US will be showing any of it on TV. Baseball runs in my blood. My uncle played in the MLB from 1940 until 1961, and I was a bat-boy for the Phillies at some of their practices. I played as a youth and now coach a girls softball team.

No Irish born players in the majors right now, but here is the history...
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bio/Ireland_born.shtml

Are any ex-MLB players on the Ireland team?

Hi Amerika, its great that by having this AMA a few more people will know about our program. Next time you get to Ireland you might look us up and take in a game. This year we had our first female fast pitch softball team go to the Europeans championships - you could bring your team!

We won't get TV coverage for the event but Fallon Media are going to film it for us. We may also get some Webcams in operation - keep an eye on @baseballireland.

We've no ex-MLB players on the National Team, an ex Minor League player has recently joined one of the league teams. He may get naturalised and become eligible some day. The guys who travel from USA and Canada to be on the Irish team do so because they love baseball and Ireland. They'll have played or still play at a high standard - usually decent college ball or adult leagues - and cover their own costs to be here. Its a tough sell to convince someone to do that if its not in their blood!

Hi Darran,

What would the standard of pitching be like here in Ireland? Would pitchers be able to throw good breaking balls or is it all fastballs? You probably don't have radar guns but what kind of speed would a pitcher in your games reach constantly?

Hi Jack, the level of pitching might surprise you. Most of the guys have lots of movement and at least a couple of off-speed pitches. Some of the crafty pitchers may only have fastballs in the high 60's (MPH) but that can look like a bullet after a cheese board of junk!

We also have a few flamethrowers who easily reach into the 80s. When there guys are hitting their spots it is hard to catch up with them but the harder it comes in the harder it goes out! We had two pitchers (both throwing very hard) throw a combined no hitter a few weeks back.

So pitching, as technical and difficult as it is, is at a decent standard.

We have a batting cage set up at Ashbourne - you should get there and take a swing at a few fastballs off the pitching machine!

Did you ever have a team in Cork?

Hi Richmond, the Munster Warriors played games in Cork and Limerick a few years ago. The distance was a challenge at the time and some of the players were travelling along way for a game. Thankfully, those guys are still involved in baseball or softball somewhere - they were very competitive in the league.

Are you interested in setting up a team?

• Advertisement

I know no one actually asked this ... but ...

Ireland won last nights exhibition game over Mexico. Both teams looked strong while still holding back a little for the main competition. A grand slam home run for the visitors wasn't enough to keep in touch with the Irish bats with Ireland debutante JP Dolan also hitting a long ball!

The atmosphere was great - hot food was served and cold beer flowed - while our resident PA announcer and Baseball Ireland President kept everyone up to speed and entertained with his running commentary!

The tournament starts for real today with the Irish Youth team v Netherlands at 10.30. USA v Mexico at 2pm and Ireland v Belgium at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Hi Darran.

What sort of training do ye do, and how does it affect your day job..

also, the US team that's over. Are we talking minor league players, ex MLB or what?

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Hi Darran.

What sort of training do ye do, and how does it affect your day job..

also, the US team that's over. Are we talking minor league players, ex MLB or what?

Hi DuffleBag, thanks for the question, we train as a squad for about 6 weeks in the run up to an event. This will be 2 or 3 mid week training sessions with games on the weekend. We have to do it outside working hours like any amateur set up. It's worth the effort and the guys put it in.

Outside of that time we have our league teams that we train with to varying degrees. It wouldn't be as intense but with League games each week it works ok. After that its up to the guys to stay in shape and get the necessary work done.

The team representing USA this week is likely to be a mixture of ex-college players and some who play in adult leagues. I don't expect to see ex-pros but I might be eating my words - we haven't faced them yet!

From what we saw last night of the Venezuelan and Mexican teams the standard is going to be really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Hi Darran,,

How does the weather effect (if any) the game? Do you suspend play during rain or just carry on?
    Also, does the ball characteristics change much when wet?

Hi Darran,,

How does the weather effect (if any) the game? Do you suspend play during rain or just carry on?
    Also, does the ball characteristics change much when wet?

A very good question! Baseball in the rain isn't much fun. The ball can't be used once the leather gets water logged so we need to keep changing to new balls. This gets expensive! A water logged ball is too heavy to throw and pitchers can't grip them the same.

We have to play through light rain until it becomes unsafe or dangerous to play - we can't be too choosy in Ireland!

From a technical point of view, if it starts raining heavily during a game, it can be suspended until it is safe to resume (Rain Delay). Local rules in Ireland mean that once 4 innings have been completed the game will be considered complete if it can't be resumed within a reasonable timeframe. If the game hasn't reached 4 innings and can't be resumed it will be considered void and rescheduled to start from scratch at a later date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Freddiestar

I used to be told that I would make a good baseball player because I could throw hard and bat very far in rounders, is there a way to measure the speed of a throw without fancy equipment?

Also I went to a Red Sox match last year in Boston, I couldn't follow it and got distracted easily, is baseball a case of understanding all the rules or it's boring?

I used to be told that I would make a good baseball player because I could throw hard and bat very far in rounders, is there a way to measure the speed of a throw without fancy equipment?

Also I went to a Red Sox match last year in Boston, I couldn't follow it and got distracted easily, is baseball a case of understanding all the rules or it's boring?

Hi Freddiestar, measuring speed without some sort of equipment is tricky but most experienced players will be able to judge the approx speed of a fastball. Pop out to a game and we can take a look if you like.
    If you wanted to test yourself, you could see how far you can throw, that would give a good indication of arm strength. If you can throw a ball 100m I'll be your agent! Make sure you loosen up first or you could hurt your arm.

As for the rules, what I love most about Baseball is how it reveals itself to you over time. At the start it might seem like a complicated version of rounders but the more you watch the more you can appreciate the game. Think about a game where the most successful players fail 7 out of 10 times when hitting, where one pitch/swing can change the result of a game (or a season!), where you have to play as an individual but win or lose as a team.... that's how I see baseball!

It helps to get to know some of the rules but no one knows all of them :-)

and before anyone asks...

Ireland comprehensively beat the Belgium All Stars last night to go top of the table overnight. Earlier in the day, USA and Mexico shared the spoils when both teams finished on 13 runs after 9 innings (extra innings are not being used in the tournament).

Today's fixtures at Ashbourne International Baseball Centre:

10.30 Netherlands v Ireland Youth Cadets
    14.00 USA v Belgium
    18.00 Mexico v Ireland

Come along and take in a game, have a hotdog, grab a beer. Free Admission and seating for everyone. Free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

and before anyone asks...

Ireland comprehensively beat the Belgium All Stars last night to go top of the table overnight. Earlier in the day, USA and Mexico shared the spoils when both teams finished on 13 runs after 9 innings (extra innings are not being used in the tournament).

Today's fixtures at Ashbourne International Baseball Centre:

10.30 Netherlands v Ireland Youth Cadets
    14.00 USA v Belgium
    18.00 Mexico v Ireland

Come along and take in a game, have a hotdog, grab a beer. Free Admission and seating for everyone. Free parking.

Can't make it today, but are there any games tomorrow or Sunday? If so, do you reckon they will go ahead with bad weather forecast?

You mentioned no extra innings in this tournament - are there extras in the Irish leagues? If so, what's the longest game you've ever played in?

Best/favourite venue/stadium you've ever played in? Dream venue to play in that you have not yet?

Can you give an idea of the % spread of nationalities playing in the Irish leagues? Do you have many who started with cricket, e.g. Indians/Pakistanis/Aussies?

You find a genie lamp - you rub it with your mitt, and the genie comes out and grants you 3 wishes. The wishes must be related to baseball. What are they?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Hi Darran, All the best for the weekend I hope it goes well.

Do you have a favourite baseball related movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

and beer!

o.O We'll be there! (irl v usa)

What age are you and what is the life expectancy of a pro baseball player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Are the pitching field dimensions in your league the same as in the MLB, with the pitcher's rubber set 60 feet 6 inches (18.44 meters) to the rear point of home plate, and elevated 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) above the rest of the playing field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What's your biggest strength/specialty on the field?

I'd say it's great craic being a shortstop. I love watching their quick reactions to catch a fast one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 im lost send help

Hi Darran.

Quick question is there any talk of a team being set up in cork or limerick again I would love to try baseball but love to far away from all the other teams.

vanderlyle wrote: »
    Can't make it today, but are there any games tomorrow or Sunday? If so, do you reckon they will go ahead with bad weather forecast?

You mentioned no extra innings in this tournament - are there extras in the Irish leagues? If so, what's the longest game you've ever played in?

Best/favourite venue/stadium you've ever played in? Dream venue to play in that you have not yet?

Can you give an idea of the % spread of nationalities playing in the Irish leagues? Do you have many who started with cricket, e.g. Indians/Pakistanis/Aussies?

You find a genie lamp - you rub it with your mitt, and the genie comes out and grants you 3 wishes. The wishes must be related to baseball. What are they?

Thanks!

Hi, great questions, will have to get back to you on some of them. A few of us discussed them on the way to the game earlier. the schedule is at the start of the thread. Ireland play at 3 tomorrow. The games will have to happen so a little rain won't be a problem.

We never finish in a draw during the regular season. I don't think I've played in a game longer than about 14 innings but that's almost two games in one!

My favorite venue should be fenway Park but the oldest still active ball park is cardines field in new port Rhode Island and it's like a throw back to the past. We got to play there and I loved it.

I'll get back to you on the rest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

After a long day baseballing, if you were to sit down to a nice cheese board, what cheese would be your favourite?

Hi Darran, All the best for the weekend I hope it goes well.

Do you have a favourite baseball related movie?

Thanks for the support!

I have to plug the Emerald Diamond movie. A great guy called John Fitzgerald heard about baseball in Ireland and decided to make a movie about it. Check it out on you tube for clips.

After that one, major league has to be up there. So many quotes, too little time!

Hi Darran.

Quick question is there any talk of a team being set up in cork or limerick again I would love to try baseball but love to far away from all the other teams.

Hi, thanks for asking. At the moment I don't see a team forming there in the immediate future. I know there are some coed softball teams in the area. Check out softball.ie for more details. That would give you a flavour of what's involved.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What's your biggest strength/specialty on the field?

I'd say it's great craic being a shortstop. I love watching their quick reactions to catch a fast one!

I'm getting a little long in the tooth for short stop and have made the move over to second. I usually do OK when fielding but would love to be more powerful at batting.

I love watching the mlb highlight reals to see the spectacular defensive plays. The TV cameras don't do justice to how athletic those guys are.

Are you watching the Little League World Series on BT Sport?

> o.O We'll be there! (irl v usa)

I hope you made it! it was a long game but there was plenty of action. Ireland put on a hitting display to win 18-8. Unfortunately Sunday was a rain out so we didn't get to complete the final with Mexico... we'll have to pay them a visit for a rematch!

> What age are you and what is the life expectancy of a pro baseball player?

I'm a 37 now, 19 years on the national team... Its not unusual for Pro players to play into their late 30s or even 40's. A quick search tells me the oldest on record in modern baseball is 49! Considering they play 162 games a season their longevity is remarkable. Cal Ripken played over 2600 consecutive games over 17 years - never missing a game!

> Are the pitching field dimensions in your league the same as in the MLB, with the pitcher's rubber set 60 feet 6 inches (18.44 meters) to the rear point of home plate, and elevated 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) above the rest of the playing field?

Yep, we use the same dimensions and as long as the pitchers don't dig out the mound during the game they'll stay up there!

> Can you give an idea of the % spread of nationalities playing in the Irish leagues? Do you have many who started with cricket, e.g. Indians/Pakistanis/Aussies?

I don't have the stats but we have players from all over in our leagues. Venezuela, Australia, Romania, Slovakia, Germany, Hungary, Mexico, GB, Italy, USA, Korea, Japan, Canada, and many others that I can't of right now. Obviously a load of Irish too. We have had a few Cricket converts over the years.

> You find a genie lamp - you rub it with your mitt, and the genie comes out and grants you 3 wishes. The wishes must be related to baseball. What are they?
    1. 1998, Euros in Vienna. A ground ball to my right, I dive and collect it but over-throw third base from my knees. Let me try that throw again.
    2. 2006, Croatia put down a bunt during the final and I'm covering first base. The ball comes off the top of my glove and the inning goes into free-fall. Let me try that catch again.
    3. 2006, Euros Semi final - Belgium have runners on first and second with no outs in bottom of the last inning. The runner on second is the tying run. I collect a two hop laser at second to flip to shortstop for a double play to effectively kill off the offense. Next batter pops out to first base and we're going to the final. If only you could bottle those emotions!

> After a long day baseballing, if you were to sit down to a nice cheese board, what cheese would be your favourite?
    You know its bad to eat cheese late at night!

> Are you watching the Little League World Series on BT Sport?
    I've managed to catch some highlights. These kids are 12 and 13 and are unbelievably talented. Its actually hard to remember that they are only children.

Thanks for the questions and thanks to the good people at Boards.ie for their support.

If you, your kids, or anyone else wants to play Baseball - do it! Its a great game full of good people and there is a level to suit all ages and skill levels. Check out www.baseballireland.com for contact details.

PLAY BALL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you build it Darran they will come

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Have you watched The Toughest Trade where Tommy Walsh stuns the Americans by ditching the glove to catch the ball because he found it easier?

Wasn't it Jackie Tyrrell?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BP6rZ3p7Cg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Yeah it was, got them mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Thanks so much to Darran for taking the time to do this AMA. I'm sure we all know a little more about baseball than we did at the start :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement