Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth appealing?

• 17-08-2015 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

So, I got 285 points in the Leaving Cert, but being the dunce I am, I didn't realise that I needed 300 just to be considered for spots with the HEAR Scheme in DCU. I got my 9th choice for my level 8's, Business in NCI. However, I was hoping to do Contemporary Culture and Society, or Media Studies in DCU. Anyway, since I'm 15 points off, I realise it might be difficult to bring my score up to 300, as well as a bit of a risk considering it costs €40 just to have one exam rechecked. I'm wondering if it's worth the money, as well as the hassle of appealing just to try and be considered for DCU, something that I might not even be guaranteed.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but just in case anybody can give advice on what subjects I think might be worth getting rechecked, I'll post my results.

Higher Level
    English - A2
    History - B2
    Business - C1

Ordinary Level
    Maths - D1
    Irish - C3
    Chemistry - D2
    French - D3

I feel like I may be able to get a higher score in Business, and maybe even English, but I'm not sure if it's worth appealing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Coincidentally, I appealed my English and Business results years ago under the old system which brought my D up to a C in English and got me the place that I had wanted. My business result stayed the same.

Look at the results you were getting before now.

Maybe ask your teachers.

Worth the money if you get the course you're after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look at your scripts and decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

If do decide to appeal, choose a more subjective subject rather than a more binary right or wrong. By that, I mean don't choose maths or Chemistry as their is much less wiggle room in terms of marking those subjects relative to more 'wordy' subjects such as business or history. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

View your scripts and compare them to the marking schemes. If they were marked fairly then they won't be brought up. If marks were missed you have to calculate if the extra marks would bring you up an extra grade. Sending a script back doesn't guarantee an appeal.

Advertisement