Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card charged 3 times

Options
  • 17-08-2015 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi. Sat down to look through my bank statement tonight and spotted Apache Pizza 3 times in a row which seemed strange.

All three were for the same day. Two were 9.99 and the other 11.99. This was in June so I can't remember how I ordered but I only ever order the large pizza for 9.99 which delivered is 11.99.

I called my local Apache and the guy said bring up a copy of your statement. Did so and then received a call from another Apache worker who said the same thing happened to someone else and it was the banks fault. They had charged him three times. This sounds really strange to me. I bank with EBS who are closed now but will call them in the morning.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

lolo62 wrote: »
    Hi. Sat down to look through my bank statement tonight and spotted Apache Pizza 3 times in a row which seemed strange.

All three were for the same day. Two were 9.99 and the other 11.99. This was in June so I can't remember how I ordered but I only ever order the large pizza for 9.99 which delivered is 11.99.

I called my local Apache and the guy said bring up a copy of your statement. Did so and then received a call from another Apache worker who said the same thing happened to someone else and it was the banks fault. They had charged him three times. This sounds really strange to me. I bank with EBS who are closed now but will call them in the morning.

Anyone experienced anything like this?

By "Bank", they mean the Bank that processed the credit card transactions. Accident happen and sometimes a batch of transactions will get processed a second time, then someone complains and they fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

By "Bank", they mean the Bank that processed the credit card transactions. Accident happen and sometimes a batch of transactions will get processed a second time, then someone complains and they fix it.

Thanks. Would that be a different bank to my bank? I used my EBS debit card. According to Apache the bank should be refunding me. Is that EBS?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Contact your bank first off - clearly the Apache staff are incapable of helping. The different amounts show that it is an Apache cockup rather than a multiple charge by their payment processor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Makood

Happened me before over a period of a few weeks, Small transactions, etoll etc. I never noticed them until I went to use my card in Aldi one day and it was declined. A multiple of payments had been to Apache pizza over 1 night, all increasing in value-A few hundred euros. Card cancelled by issuer who when I got in touch with informed me of what had happened. All money refunded. Be very careful here.

L1011 wrote: »
    Contact your bank first off - clearly the Apache staff are incapable of helping. The different amounts show that it is an Apache cockup rather than a multiple charge by their payment processor though.

Thanks I will. I would have thought so with the amounts too. One staff member tried to tell me it couldn't be them as I am the only person with access to my chip and pin but I'm pretty sure I ordered on the app.

It's frustrating when the first response is to try and hand the problem back without looking into it. I would be surprised if EBS had made the error and not registered since then.

• Advertisement

Makood wrote: »
    Happened me before over a period of a few weeks, Small transactions, etoll etc. I never noticed them until I went to use my card in Aldi one day and it was declined. A multiple of payments had been to Apache pizza over 1 night, all increasing in value-A few hundred euros. Card cancelled by issuer who when I got in touch with informed me of what had happened. All money refunded. Be very careful here.

That's a nightmare. Where was all the money going before it was refunded?

That's a nightmare. Where was all the money going before it was refunded?

Started with E toll and a few other very small transactions. The majority were Apache over one night, but were spotted by the security system in place and card was blocked.

Makood wrote: »
    Started with E toll and a few other very small transactions. The majority were Apache over one night, but were spotted by the security system in place and card was blocked.

Do you think it could have been a hacking or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its possible but fairly unlikely. App cocking up and the shop staff - who work for a franchise, not the parent firm - unable to do anything - is more likely.

Ok so it's looking I have a wild goose chase ahead of me :(
    Time to uninstall!

• Advertisement

In my case it was, I was more thinking of the sequence of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Ok so it's looking I have a wild goose chase ahead of me :(
    Time to uninstall!

Uninstall and then make a chargeback request to your card issuer on the transactions that are not correct.

Card issuer refunds you and they then follow an internal system to the card processor of apache who in turn must prove that the transaction was correct.

If they prove that the transaction was valid it is then redebited from you. - so assuming its an error, you basically need to do nothing else after making the chargeback.

btw - don't bother with staff of the apache franchise - they just won't understand the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Ok so I contacted EBS card services. Their first response was to tell me to contact Apache pizza. I explained Apache said the same (still haven't heard back from the manager btw )
    After a lot of hmmm-ing by the customer service rep she told me she is escalating the issue and I will receive a form in the post to fill out. Once the escalation team look into it I should be refunded.
    Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the replies. This is all new to me. Will be keeping a meticulous eye on my statements from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks. Would that be a different bank to my bank? I used my EBS debit card. According to Apache the bank should be refunding me. Is that EBS?

Could be either.
    1. The Acquiring Bank used by the retailer to Process the transaction processed it twice.
    2. The Card issuer (i.e. your bank) processed it twice.
    3. The Actual merchant did the transactions multiple times in error.

Advertisement