Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband near Enniscorthy

Options
  • 17-08-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm looking for information or advice about our broadband service near Enniscorthy (close to Monageer and Ferns, Co. Wexford). We're getting a maximum speed of 1.5mbps between 5pm and 9pm, sometimes we might get 2mb or 3mb later at night. The ping is about 140ms, and upload speed hits about 0.3mbps.

Our IP is showing as Dublin. Is this having any effect on current speeds? This may sound stupid, but are we somehow connecting to Dublin instead of somewhere more local?

Is there anything that can be done to improve speeds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I'm looking for information or advice about our broadband service near Enniscorthy (close to Monageer and Ferns, Co. Wexford). We're getting a maximum speed of 1.5mbps between 5pm and 9pm, sometimes we might get 2mb or 3mb later at night. The ping is about 140ms, and upload speed hits about 0.3mbps.

Our IP is showing as Dublin. Is this having any effect on current speeds? This may sound stupid, but are we somehow connecting to Dublin instead of somewhere more local?

Is there anything that can be done to improve speeds?
    Hi gealachbeithe

If you would like to PM me your land line number I will be happy to see if we can offer you faster speeds. It would be impossible to have your line connected to Dublin though - that's probably the server and on the OOKLA speed test you can actually change server...

Cheers
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gealachbeithe

Hi Alan,

Sent you 2 messages. Sent a screenshot from whatsmyiplocation showing IP address saying Dublin City.

Hi Alan,

Sent you 2 messages. Sent a screenshot from whatsmyiplocation showing IP address saying Dublin City.
    Hi gealachbeithe

Your IP is dynamic and does not have one fixed location, there really is nothing to be concerned about regarding location of IP - it would be physically and technically impossible to be connected to Dublin at your address.

Having looked in to this in detail I can confirm that your speeds (of 'up to') 3Mb are the fastest your line and geographical location can support. When you experience slow than 3Mbs speeds this is ultimately attributed to congestion.

I’ve run tests and see that there are no faults on this line but I have noticed that the service in question is connected to an exchange which has not yet been upgraded to NGB (next generation broadband) and in consideration of this 'congestion' is a feature that cannot be avoided and is equally expected until the exchange is upgraded to NGB.

Congestion basically means that speeds can deteriorate when there is increased usage in your area. This is another reason why speeds are provided on the terms of 'up to' the advised speed.

The best advice I can offer is to ensure connection by Ethernet is used rather WiFi - I know that's not easy in consideration of tablets and smartphones etc but if you're working of a desktop, laptop or games console this is really the best option.

I'm sorry I can't offer you better news on this gaelachbeithe

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gealachbeithe

Thanks Alan for the reply and great explanation. Hopefully the exchange will be upgraded to NGB soon.

Thanks Alan for the reply and great explanation. Hopefully the exchange will be upgraded to NGB soon.
    No problem at all gealachbeithe

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement