Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Way midpoint marker

Options
  • 17-08-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on walking the Wicklow Way from the mid point back to Dublin. I understand this point is in Glenmalure but wondered where exactly? Looking online and at maps/Google earth etc I'm guessing its by the first off road section after passing Glenmalure/Drumgoff crossroads (heading south), would this be correct?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's just before you enter the forest after turning right off the road heading south from the Drumgoff crossroads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I think there is/was some sort of mark at about the 69 km point in our 2015 Wicklow Way Map Guide. An old wooden sign dating back to the 1990s. Since the route is currently c 132 kms, the midpoint is now nearer Drumgoff but it's a bit of a moveable thing as there are occasional route changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a stone pillar marking the position, showing the halfway point as being 63.5km..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicklow_Way#/media/File:Wicklow_Way_Halfway_Point.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Alun wrote: »
    It's just before you enter the forest after turning right off the road heading south from the Drumgoff crossroads.

Sorry for the delay replying, found it easily, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Alun wrote: »
    There's a stone pillar marking the position, showing the halfway point as being 63.5km..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicklow_Way#/media/File:Wicklow_Way_Halfway_Point.jpg

Thanks, quite right - that's a more modern 'half way' point. The true half way is currently somewhere between the old and new marks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement